Magic Weekend 2020

With the Challenge Cup Final moving to July, I wonder what will happen with the Magic Weekend. 

With the Final of the Cup now in July, the Semi’s are likely to be May Bank Holiday/early June and May is Magic Weekend ‘season’ so to speak. That’s before you weigh in any other events, such as Catalans may be returning to the Camp Nou. Can we realistically have all three events crammed into such a short period?

And if not and we want to keep Magic, do we move it to the start of the season or to August Bank Holiday, where the Cup Final is now?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

With the Challenge Cup Final moving to July, I wonder what will happen with the Magic Weekend. 

With the Final of the Cup now in July, the Semi’s are likely to be May Bank Holiday/early June and May is Magic Weekend ‘season’ so to speak. That’s before you weigh in any other events, such as Catalans may be returning to the Camp Nou. Can we realistically have all three events crammed into such a short period?

And if not and we want to keep Magic, do we move it to the start of the season or to August Bank Holiday, where the Cup Final is now?

Doubt you'll find a stadium to let you have 6 games in Feb , or in fact in Aug ? 

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's a pity the first May Bank Holiday isnt an option, but iirc the football season is still on then.

Magic Weekend for the end of August slot?

May Day is on a Friday next year because of VE Day but yeah, the Premier League is still on then. 

Liverpool are at home to Chelsea and Newcastle are away at Brighton that weekend. 

As pointed out, I can’t see people letting their freshly laid pitch get a battering of six games so soon into a Football season in August. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

May Day is on a Friday next year because of VE Day but yeah, the Premier League is still on then. 

Liverpool are at home to Chelsea and Newcastle are away at Brighton that weekend. 

As pointed out, I can’t see people letting their freshly laid pitch get a battering of six games so soon into a Football season in August. 

Aye, the August thing doesn't fix the football issue at all does it!!! Being an idiot there!

It's an interesting one this as Magic is here to stay based on sponsorship deals etc.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Aye, the August thing doesn't fix the football issue at all does it!!! Being an idiot there!

It's an interesting one this as Magic is here to stay based on sponsorship deals etc.

Not using somewhere used by a Football team leaves places like the Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield etc, previously trodden ground. 

Don't worry about it our glorious leaders will either schedule it for the same weekend as the CC final, it is after all run by seperate bodies or they will use the backstop of Odsal, provided the other body and Mr Chalmers agree to it, failing that they will play it at 7 different grounds, solved?

34 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Don't worry about it our glorious leaders will either schedule it for the same weekend as the CC final, it is after all run by seperate bodies or they will use the backstop of Odsal, provided the other body and Mr Chalmers agree to it, failing that they will play it at 7 different grounds, solved?

If Odsal doesn't get the nod, they could consider Wakefield!

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

The SL are the ones who do Magic don't they, so if they have already booked the date for next season already, that's the date... isn't it.  The RFL run the Cup, so it's down to them, isn't it, to pick the date from whats available.   Yes??

15 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What about a ground that has two pitches (Spurs)?

3 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

What about a ground that has two pitches (Spurs)?

Not a prayer sadly. 

Is this even going to be that much of an issue? The CC final is going to be the third weekend in July by the sounds of it so CC semis could surely be played around mid June? Which would be about 3 weeks after Magic - overall from Magic to CC final it'll be nearly 2 months. 

EFL Championship Rounds Finish on 02/05/20 with Playoffs which would mean any Football League ground probably not available to mid-May ruling out a trial for RL World Cup 2021 with grounds like Elland Road/Riverside (Middlesbrough) or KCOM at Hull.

Premier League season finishing 17/05/20 also rules out Bramall Lane until then too. Bramall Lane could be an interesting prospect, they have hosted Sheffield Eagles games there before, its walkable from the city centre and train station. Its Northern (ish) and capacity wise around 30,000 big enough to look full on average ticket sales.

38 minutes ago, RP London said:

isnt one artificial and marked for NFL?

Yeah marked for NFL but not permanently. Can easily be changed.

It is artificial, but it’s probably a hybrid, although Im not sure. I do know Saracens RU team have signed a multi year deal to play games there, so I suspect it’s a good kind of artificial turf. Unless Spurs are letting them use grass once a season.

9 minutes ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Yeah marked for NFL but not permanently. Can easily be changed.

It is artificial, but it’s probably a hybrid, although Im not sure. I do know Saracens RU team have signed a multi year deal to play games there, so I suspect it’s a good kind of artificial turf. Unless Spurs are letting them use grass once a season.

Isnt the Saracens deal for their annual "on the road" fixture that they have against usually Harlequins?

Archived