Magic Weekend 2020

6 minutes ago, superten said:

Why not take it to Canada or the USA

Too soon. That will be a good idea when there are a few well-established teams over here (maybe 10 years from now). Until then it would be too hard to draw a good enough crowd here for this great event.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Yeah marked for NFL but not permanently. Can easily be changed.

It is artificial, but it’s probably a hybrid, although Im not sure. I do know Saracens RU team have signed a multi year deal to play games there, so I suspect it’s a good kind of artificial turf. Unless Spurs are letting them use grass once a season.

I think it's 100% artificial. It spends most of its time under the grass pitch (a hybrid itself), so I can't see how a hybrid could work

But surely you could play on an artificial pitch anyway? I'd definitely go to MW if it was at Spurs, although it would be far too big

26 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think the London stadium would be pretty much perfect for the magic weekend. 

Plenty of space for a Fan Park, a fair few hotels around, good connections. a few bars/restaurants around in the Westfield. 

Id love to go to the new spurs stadium and will probably go to an NFL game in 2020 but whilst it looks a wonderful stadium im not sure there is a whole heap of stuff around 

It’s an awful, awful stadium with poor sight of the pitch, there’s absolutely nothing around the ground, Westfield is about welcoming as Donald Trump at a left wing party and there’s absolutely no cover in case of poor weather for fan parks. 

It would kill the Magic Weekend dead. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Magic Weekend shouldn’t have moved away from Newcastle. The game in the North East is going from strength to strength, hosting a marquee event can only help that.

This. 

Magic in Newcastle should have become a key part of the RL calendar as Old Trafford and the Grand Final and Wembley and the Challenge Cup has. 

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2019 at 22:07, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Magic Weekend shouldn’t have moved away from Newcastle. The game in the North East is going from strength to strength, hosting a marquee event can only help that.

Have to agree, the venue and city seem tailor made for each other.

I think Magic needs a complete rethink. The idea was to spread the game in new areas, has it achieved this ? If you get the six games and figure out the attendances if those matches were played in a normal round and compare to Magic actual attendances, how do they stack up ? Are more people going, or is it the usual loyal fan core. It also unbalances the fixtures further. Why not have Magic as Challenge Cup QF event. Two games each day, plus a third from Championship. The two championship matches decided on a voluntary basis, whatever clubs are happy losing a home fixture to play at Magic. If there aren't two volunteer clubs then we offer league 1 clubs a place at magic! What a great day out that'll be for a small club.

As for a venue, lets hold it in an area of the country where Union holds sway, not exactly in their area, but close by, where you have oval ball enthusiasts, Bristol!

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I think Magic needs a complete rethink. The idea was to spread the game in new areas, has it achieved this ? If you get the six games and figure out the attendances if those matches were played in a normal round and compare to Magic actual attendances, how do they stack up ? Are more people going, or is it the usual loyal fan core. It also unbalances the fixtures further. Why not have Magic as Challenge Cup QF event. Two games each day, plus a third from Championship. The two championship matches decided on a voluntary basis, whatever clubs are happy losing a home fixture to play at Magic. If there aren't two volunteer clubs then we offer league 1 clubs a place at magic! What a great day out that'll be for a small club.

As an idea for a venue, this is a bit out of left field, but thousands of fans weekly cross the Irish Sea for the footy, mainly to Merseyside, what about Windsor Park Belfast, holds about 30,000. A great atmosphere and a Magic venue packed to the rafters.

HawkMan, as much as I would love Rugby League to come to Belfast, Windsor Park capacity is only 18,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Park

The home of the other code is The Kingspan (Ravenhill) another 18,000 capacity stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravenhill_Stadium

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

There  are a few die hards mostly Union blokes who do it to keep fit. Even as a fan I am sneered at by some not surprising when this is how an ex British & Irish  Lions captain was treated.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/lions/lions-earn-70k-but-ulsterman-thompson-finished-up-in-the-red-35835058.html

But never say never, no-one would have believed Ice Hockey would ever have taken off in Belfast but with investment and the right promotion the Belfast Giants have become very successful.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Magic is nothing more than six games played in a random stadium, there’s nothing extra or different about it. For a so-called Festival of the sport, it’s a pretty poor festival and there needs to be more done to make it about more than just games of Rugby League. 

I’d go big and adopt the French idea of making it a round where you get more points for a win than your standard weekly rounds, for a start. That gives every game a bigger feel straight away. It can potentially have a major effect on a league table. 

I’d have a variety of bands and DJ’s playing throughout the day, both inside the stadium and outside instead of having the incoherent duo of Simmons and Godwin (I was in BoxPark at Wembley on Saturday, what an embarrassment that was) stood on the back of a float in a car park. 

Food and drink outside of the ground is important. Have street food stalls instead of your standard anaemic burgers and hot dogs you get, get different bars involved offering more than lukewarm flat beer, have gin bars, cocktail bars etc. 

Magic could be RL’s T20 or Nines tournament where you attract people outside of your everyday RL fan but we fail to do so. 

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Magic is nothing more than six games played in a random stadium, there’s nothing extra or different about it. For a so-called Festival of the sport, it’s a pretty poor festival and there needs to be more done to make it about more than just games of Rugby League. 

I’d go big and adopt the French idea of making it a round where you get more points for a win than your standard weekly rounds, for a start. That gives every game a bigger feel straight away. It can potentially have a major effect on a league table. 

I’d have a variety of bands and DJ’s playing throughout the day, both inside the stadium and outside instead of having the incoherent duo of Simmons and Godwin (I was in BoxPark at Wembley on Saturday, what an embarrassment that was) stood on the back of a float in a car park. 

Food and drink outside of the ground is important. Have street food stalls instead of your standard anaemic burgers and hot dogs you get, get different bars involved offering more than lukewarm flat beer, have gin bars, cocktail bars etc. 

Magic could be RL’s T20 or Nines tournament where you attract people outside of your everyday RL fan but we fail to do so. 

The best fan zone we ever had was Murrayfield, at that time we had loads of partners, we used the fields outside for food and drink, plus there was a legends tournament. There was plenty of stuff to do.

The Newcastle fan zone was pathetic and no effort at all, just like everything else at the moment.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

The idea was to spread the game in new areas,

I'm amazed this myth has persisted for so long. 

The original idea behind Magic Weekend was to fill hotel beds in South Wales. That's why it came into being.

Yes, there is probably a statement knocking around somewhere featuring the word "expansion" because it's a more palatable message to the fans than "the Welsh tourism industry chucked £1m at us", but expansion is way down the list of reasons why we do Magic. 

Arguing that Magic is about expansion is simply a mechanism for people to give the concept an unreasonable objective so that they can later argue that it is a failure, when it's far from it. 

I think we should scrap magic weekend and summer bash . We should concentrate all our efforts in getting the Challenge Cup back to where it belongs . Should just have the two big events Super league grand final and Challenge Cup final . Bring back the championship and league one final day and the 1895 cup final day .

Chief Crazy Eagle

4 minutes ago, superten said:

I think we should scrap magic weekend and summer bash . We should concentrate all our efforts in getting the Challenge Cup back to where it belongs . Should just have the two big events Super league grand final and Challenge Cup final . Bring back the championship and league one final day and the 1895 cup final day .

I love the magic weekend but equally i dont disagree with the above but i think you can do both... ie Magic becomes the round of 16... 8 matches 4 per day. more fans so more chance to pack out, gets some of the smaller clubs to be part of the "grand day out" too. Never been to the summer bash so cant really comment on that one.

2 minutes ago, RP London said:

I love the magic weekend but equally i dont disagree with the above but i think you can do both... ie Magic becomes the round of 16... 8 matches 4 per day. more fans so more chance to pack out, gets some of the smaller clubs to be part of the "grand day out" too. Never been to the summer bash so cant really comment on that one.

the problem with inviting none super league clubs is the fact that super league teams wouldn't want to share tv and gate receipts

Chief Crazy Eagle

Scrap Magic, scrap the cup final at Wembley and move it up north, scrap expansion, bin playoffs, ban foreign players, don’t bother with any innovation of any sort.........this is a local sport for local people don’t you know. I’m not saying every suggested idea for change should be embraced but the current trend suggests that RL fans are becoming more and more inward looking and insular.

Anfield was ok but I’d favour a move back to either Newcastle or Cardiff. London won’t work.

Archived