major train chaos on cc final day?

22 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

wasn't there a day when trains were special laid on for Wembley and the cc or is that a dream from the past that I once had?

They certainly did and also to semi finals and Championship finals.

My first solo trip to London was as a teenager on a special from St Helens Central to Euston for the 76 final.

A week later it was a special to Swinton for Salford in the premiership final.

Got the Wakey Westgate to Kings Cross,LNER, on the Friday on early release . Kept looking for the release of return tickets on the Monday only to receive an e-mail, weeks later, from LNER stating no trains running Bank Holiday Monday.

Fortunately managed to book a return journey with Grand Central from Kings Cross but alighting at Wakefield Kirkgate. Don't know what route it's taking but the journey time, no changes, is 3 hours as opposed to the standard two hours.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

So … you'll just have to change in Birmingham onto the Chiltern line which actually stops at Wembley Stadium?

Or is that up the spout too?

EDIT

Just looked. Chiltern are increasing capacity for trains running to Wembley Stadium that day.

Stop moaning.

Thanks Gingerjon,

Please note this everybody-there is no excuse! this route takes you to wembley stadium.You can drive to bicester for example or stations along the line like warrington supporters did last year!

if you really are determined to go to the final then you can!

9 minutes ago, RLX111 said:

Thanks Gingerjon,

Please note this everybody-there is no excuse! this route takes you to wembley stadium.You can drive to bicester for example or stations along the line like warrington supporters did last year!

if you really are determined to go to the final then you can!

another modern chore then

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, huddiepuddies said:

Got the Wakey Westgate to Kings Cross,LNER, on the Friday on early release . Kept looking for the release of return tickets on the Monday only to receive an e-mail, weeks later, from LNER stating no trains running Bank Holiday Monday.

Fortunately managed to book a return journey with Grand Central from Kings Cross but alighting at Wakefield Kirkgate. Don't know what route it's taking but the journey time, no changes, is 3 hours as opposed to the standard two hours.

We're going to London for a jolly  (nothing to do with CC final) and did the same regarding cheap train tickets. Unfortunately the price of a ticket on the trains back on the Saturday from St Pancras was extortionate and would take 4 1/2 hrs! So Megabus it is for 1/20th the price.

9 hours ago, DiH68 said:

If Hull make it to the final it will be a nightmare. Does it mean you'd have to get a train from Hull to Sheffield, then one from there to St Pancras? Kind of annoying when Hull actually has it's own train service to London, Hull Trains, which you won't be able to use

Hull won’t be in the final so it’s not an issue 

On 22/07/2019 at 20:04, Essai Machine said:

It happened all the time in the 80's .

Normally the Queen commanded the Mallard and The Flying Scotsman be taken out of retirement to cope with increased Northern rail traffic .

One year they shipped the Shinkansen Bullet Train over from Japan to cope with the vast numbers of Pie-Eaters !

Has anyone asked the queen this year?

On 22/07/2019 at 20:18, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Kings Cross Station is closed both Saturday (24th) and Sunday (25th) with no trains running south of Peterborough on those 2 days.

St.Helens and Warrington fans would be arriving via St,Pancras so not affected right? It'd be interesting to see how many fans actually arrive by train in the last 10 years or so, first and only time on a train to Wembley for me was 1985, just before my 16th birthday and I went on my though several hundred FC fans, many of them piddled as newts!

I reckon it's a very small % these days given most people have cars and the usual coach travel straight to the ground or surroundings. it's 40mins drive to free parking in a nice well to do residential area just yards outside the parking restriction zone on event days and a 25min walk to the ground.

Usually back home to get us teas.

If it is saints and tellins I'm not sure I'll go tbh.

5 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

St.Helens and Warrington fans would be arriving via St,Pancras so not affected right? It'd be interesting to see how many fans actually arrive by train in the last 10 years or so, first and only time on a train to Wembley for me was 1985, just before my 16th birthday and I went on my though several hundred FC fans, many of them piddled as newts!

I reckon it's a very small % these days given most people have cars and the usual coach travel straight to the ground or surroundings. it's 40mins drive to free parking in a nice well to do residential area just yards outside the parking restriction zone on event days and a 25min walk to the ground.

I came back over from Aus for the final a couple of years ago and got the train down from Hull on the Friday and back on the Sunday. The train going down was brilliant... full of Hull fans, singing and drinking, even the staff got involved. I wouldn’t do it any other way. It’s a fun, easy and relaxing way to start the weekend 

12 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

another modern chore then

Yes.

Changing trains is a modern chore.

You tedious get.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

They'd arrive at Euston so should be OK.

9 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

They'd be arriving at Euston on the West Coast Main Line, along with fans of Widnes, who would probably be travelling from Runcorn, or Leigh - no jokes please - travelling from Manchester or Wigan. Judging by the way the train prices shot up, and on previous experience when travelling to internationals (I've wanted to keep Wembley sacred for Leigh....), a hugely significant number travel by train.

In direct contrast to yourself, given on cup final day I can arrive at Wigan North Western for 9am and be at Euston for half 11, I only travel by road to London when absolutely unavoidable.

90% of people don’t use the train but they all still moan about it....when do you expect engineering work on the scale planned for Kings Cross to take place? Believe me it is far easier to move the CCF than to get four or five train companies to agree to rail closures...all who voted Tory in 1993 have got the fragmented rail industry they deserve?

BTW, definitely worth using a ticket-splitting website for train travel these days. There are quite a few, and they all seem to use similar calculations, but you can save plenty instead of just buying what the money-gouging franchises offer you.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

travelling down the Friday morning York to Kings Cross. Returning Sunday teatime St Pancras to Derby,Derby to York.  Not too bad at all.

On 23/07/2019 at 21:36, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We're going to London for a jolly  (nothing to do with CC final) and did the same regarding cheap train tickets. Unfortunately the price of a ticket on the trains back on the Saturday from St Pancras was extortionate and would take 4 1/2 hrs! So Megabus it is for 1/20th the price.

Only paid 21.50 each for the return; 29 for the out journey.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I hope it’s not too warm on Cup Final weekend.

With today's weather, my 2 hour train journey took 6 and a half hours. Such fun...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived