This Can't be true ...

I'd heard it rumoured but Matt Shaw thinks it's written in stone.

“Has to be said. The attitude of some rugby league fans is utterly embarrassing. Rather than talk the game up they’d prefer to create false conspiracies to protect their team, continuously talk down the achievements of others and generally criticise everything.

“Rugby league is poisoned by a blame culture. It’s always someone else’s fault. The referee, the RFL, St Helens, Toronto, whatever. People question why the sport never moves forward. Look in the mirror. Rather than strive for improvement people would rather talk down to the rest.

“There is one thing that is holding rugby league back and that is the mentality of some people within it. Blame, blame, blame. Moan, moan, moan"

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/journalist-slams-rugby-leagues-blame-culture-21290/

Must be fake news.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

24 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Strange rant by him. You can’t be happy clappy and blindly positive all of the time, it’s not natural and it’s not balanced, something he should understand as a journalist. 

You simply cannot be blindly positive all of the time. It’s simply not a fair reflection of the game. 

To be fair, I think he wants people to be happy some of the time, not all of the time. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

29 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Strange rant by him. You can’t be happy clappy and blindly positive all of the time, it’s not natural and it’s not balanced, something he should understand as a journalist. 

You simply cannot be blindly positive all of the time. It’s simply not a fair reflection of the game. 

The problem is the opposite.. hes not asking you to be happy all the time but it is also not a fair reflection of the game to be a miserable beggar all of the time either.

the other point being made is stop blaming everyone else for your misfortune... sometimes its all because of you and what you are/aren't doing and not about other people, which I believe is a blight that affects a lot of the country at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Just a few days before his strange rant, majority of people were lauding the game for bringing back reserve team rugby. 

True. But you do have to admit the typical and collective outlook of Rugby League fans is a little dour. We do like to talk our sport down.

P.s. not just fans but officials and others as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

True. But you do have to admit the typical and collective outlook of Rugby League fans is a little dour. We do like to talk our sport down.

P.s. not just fans but officials and others as well.

I wouldn’t say any more than any other sport. If you listened to TalkSport for an hour or so, you’d think that half the Premier League teams are destined for failure because a few have an owner the fans don’t like, one team only has £40m to spend this summer and others are bemoaning the fact they haven’t signed a player yet. 

Cricket fans don’t like T20 and will probably not be keen on The Hundred which is coming soon. 

Sports fans are naturally pessimistic. 

And Matthew Shaw was the one barely ten days ago bemoaning the fact five Super League games took place on Friday evening. What a rant that is!

I think anyone (here a professional journalist!) moaning about people moaning is someone who fails to understand some very basic things about all sports fans and human psychology. 

Yeah, somewhere deep down we're interested in the general direction of the sport and grudgingly acknowledge the role it plays in our lives, but we support our team, we want to win at all costs at the weekend, and tend to get a bit rabid about it all as we can't do that in other aspects of our lives.

Chill out.

1 hour ago, RP London said:

The problem is the opposite.. hes not asking you to be happy all the time but it is also not a fair reflection of the game to be a miserable beggar all of the time either.

the other point being made is stop blaming everyone else for your misfortune... sometimes its all because of you and what you are/aren't doing and not about other people, which I believe is a blight that affects a lot of the country at the moment.

I was thinking similar tbh. Britain is beset by people with this attitude. But it is very noticeable in RL, perhaps because the size of the sport means that negative voices are not drowned out so easily.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

I was thinking similar tbh. Britain is beset by people with this attitude. But it is very noticeable in RL, perhaps because the size of the sport means that negative voices are not drowned out so easily.

people cannot be self critical imho.. if they fail its because of something else not because they did not try hard enough or prepare well enough etc

It's small, weak, malicious and nasty. It's also the most common emotion displayed, across the board.

12 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I follow union and cricket..... They are exactly the same

Having a discussion /moan/rant is part of the fun

Anything that means I don't have to depress myself by reading the real news (politics etc) is great by me

It doesn't seem to be fun in rugby league though. It's nasty and personal.

People in our sport need a change of mindset. It's that shame cycle - when something goes wrong, you can either look at yourself or look at others. Unfortunately, it's never their own fault.

It takes very strong leadership to change a culture. Weak leadership is fuel for the fire of the negative mindset culture.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'd heard it rumoured but Matt Shaw thinks it's written in stone.

“Has to be said. The attitude of some rugby league fans is utterly embarrassing. Rather than talk the game up they’d prefer to create false conspiracies to protect their team, continuously talk down the achievements of others and generally criticise everything.

“Rugby league is poisoned by a blame culture. It’s always someone else’s fault. The referee, the RFL, St Helens, Toronto, whatever. People question why the sport never moves forward. Look in the mirror. Rather than strive for improvement people would rather talk down to the rest.

“There is one thing that is holding rugby league back and that is the mentality of some people within it. Blame, blame, blame. Moan, moan, moan"

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/journalist-slams-rugby-leagues-blame-culture-21290/

Must be fake news.

Apart from the number of posters on this and the few RL forums there are (who are a minority), where's the evidence of this?  The piece refers to 'some'.  Football, the biggest game in the world, has plenty of moaners.

Another none story focusing on a minority negative when the games got positives in abundance.  Write something about those Matt instead of criticizing the small groups you are now a part of.

27 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It doesn't seem to be fun in rugby league though. It's nasty and personal.

People in our sport need a change of mindset. It's that shame cycle - when something goes wrong, you can either look at yourself or look at others. Unfortunately, it's never their own fault.

It takes very strong leadership to change a culture. Weak leadership is fuel for the fire of the negative mindset culture.

I can honestly say I hear the same tone in union - in real life anyway

You haven't heard the pinnacle of moaning (and some if it very pernicious) if you haven't heard a N. Saints fan at it

7 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I can honestly say I hear the same tone in union - in real life anyway

You haven't heard the pinnacle of moaning (and some if it very pernicious) if you haven't heard a N. Saints fan at it

I can’t keep up, I thought we were referee’s best friends and we got all the decisions?

Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

No sense of positivity amongst the ones I go with/hang out with....though 3 or 4 pints in the chat gets cheerier 

are you talking Northampton Saints?

Archived