James Maloney for Super League, possibly Catalans, in 2020?

Prominently featured in Australian media, especially Fox SportsTV  "NRL 360" on Monday, that James Maloney was weighing his options for next year, and that included Super League. He also specified that he thought that he would be happier in the south of France than in the north of England. Catalans official Alex Chan has already said that Catalans were interested in Maloney.

If it eventuates it will be very interesting. Would Catalans then release Matty Smith or Samisoni Langi?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going a little bit against the consensus here with Maloney coming to Super League.  He is 33 now so definitely at the back end of his career.

While a good player, he has never held down a regular NSW spot and his test caps were against Lebanon and Scotland as a squad player in the World Cup and Four Nations plus an additional bench spot against New Zealand in 2016.

Don't get me wrong, he is a quality player but his renaissance in State of Origin this year (alongside Mitchell Pearce) is a bit of a critique of the lack of half back quality in Australia at the moment.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If he come with the right mindset, he could produce a similar level of performance Drinkwater did for the club last year and the uplift they had from that was phenomenal. 

That said, they’d have to lose Smith and/or Langi. I’m not sure how Catalans work with quota spaces, so that may come into it but I can’t see anybody being daft enough to sign Smith. He was finished at Wigan, let alone at Saints or Catalans. 

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I'm going a little bit against the consensus here with Maloney coming to Super League.  He is 33 now so definitely at the back end of his career.

While a good player, he has never held down a regular NSW spot and his test caps were against Lebanon and Scotland as a squad player in the World Cup and Four Nations plus an additional bench spot against New Zealand in 2016.

Don't get me wrong, he is a quality player but his renaissance in State of Origin this year (alongside Mitchell Pearce) is a bit of a critique of the lack of half back quality in Australia at the moment.

Lack of halfback quality that made the reserve grader Hastings into a deadly weapon in England... 

2 minutes ago, Hvy wg said:

Lack of halfback quality that made the reserve grader Hastings into a deadly weapon in England... 

Was Hastings in reserve grade for Manly because of his quality? 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Was Hastings in reserve grade for Manly because of his quality? 

Also Hastings is young and hungry. He has a point to prove. 

With Jimmy his form for Newcastle this year hasn't been great and he could be at 33/34 looking towards retirement. He's got 2 years left probably. 

I like him alot and feel he is a big game player however over 34 games he may not be the right signing for a SL team and particularly Catalans. 

Would be a risk considering his salary would be high and as ever in our brutal sport Injuries are common. 

I would prefer a younger NRL half back. Someone who wants to come in for a year or two and get back to the NRL. 

Tbh Drinkwater should have been retained last year and all would be better for Dragons. 

Maloney still looks like he has another couple quality years in him. The guy is one of those players I've always feared my team coming up against. Not because he has the talent of Thurston or athleticism of Inglis, because he was one of those players that always seemed a threat and a genuine match winner.

I doubt he would be the type to come to Super League and cash in with lazy performances, I think anywhere he goes he'll want to win it all.

9 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Maloney still looks like he has another couple quality years in him. The guy is one of those players I've always feared my team coming up against. Not because he has the talent of Thurston or athleticism of Inglis, because he was one of those players that always seemed a threat and a genuine match winner.

I doubt he would be the type to come to Super League and cash in with lazy performances, I think anywhere he goes he'll want to win it all.

Agree completely. He’s a leader and still performing for Penrith and at Origin level. I reckon he’d run the show at Catalans (or Leeds, for that matter) for the next two years. 

And if Wakey stay up (big if!), my 7yr old will be shouting from the sidelines at Belle Vue after the game to get a picture with him. No comparison to Drinkwater in my view. 

13 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Also Hastings is young and hungry. He has a point to prove. 

With Jimmy his form for Newcastle this year hasn't been great and he could be at 33/34 looking towards retirement. He's got 2 years left probably. 

I like him alot and feel he is a big game player however over 34 games he may not be the right signing for a SL team and particularly Catalans. 

Would be a risk considering his salary would be high and as ever in our brutal sport Injuries are common. 

I would prefer a younger NRL half back. Someone who wants to come in for a year or two and get back to the NRL. 

Tbh Drinkwater should have been retained last year and all would be better for Dragons. 

What makes you think he plays for Newcastle? He plays for Penrith and has been playing very well, helping the team to win 7 in a row and make the NRL top 8 at this point.

I think this is one of the biggest SL signings in recent memory. 

He's won the past two State of Origins with halves partners who were passengers both times.

It would be pretty hard to argue against it if someone said he's the best half in Australia.

new rise.jpg

27 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I think this is one of the biggest SL signings in recent memory. 

He's won the past two State of Origins with halves partners who were passengers both times.

It would be pretty hard to argue against it if someone said he's the best half in Australia.

He’s not as good as Munster but I take your point. He’s turned his season around and is up there at the minute, should be a great signing for Catalan if he comes to play.

Doubt he’ll be in the Australian squad though, he wasn’t even in Meningas origin merit squad. Expect Keary and Munster to be Halves. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The 2020 Catalans vs Warrington games, with James Maloney and Sam Tomkins pitted against Blake Austin and Gareth Widdop, are going to be very interesting indeed. Poor Eddie Hemmings will be regretting that he retired from calling the games on Sky.

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

He's won the past two State of Origins with halves partners who were passengers both times

Maloney's half back partner Mitchell Pearce was the best half back on the park in the game 3 decider this year.

21 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Lots of players are managing to play into their late 30’s now, he’s clearly good enough as a current State of Origin halfback and could well play in Super League for 4 or 5 years. 

Archived