Double standards ?

B4RR0W

Just a quick question as I wasnt at the game in Sunday

Reading in the press Paul thought a late and bad tackle injuring Stargroaths leg was left unpunished and should have been pulled up by the ref.

However, when (from the sounds of things) a similar incident occured vs Sheffield, our player in question was left unpunished in the game and was defended  post match in the press?

Are we just clutching at straws here ?  We got beat, by a team we should have beat.

Im a massive fan of Paul and I think time,effort, rugby savvyness and commitment to Barrow he's been the best coach we've had in 20 years.

But is this not a bit bizzare? 

Although with it being the NW evening mail it could well be the wrong quote/sport/person!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sick of hearing the referee was poor and this decision didn't go our way. They are excuses. We need to look at what we can control not the ref. 

At the start of the year we had a squad of 24 and the board/coach even said we should be competing for mid table or higher this year. We have spent the money. So why and where has it gone wrong a ref hasn't made us win only 4 games. 

To me the team hasn't performed but why? 

not being able to field the same team consistently and having to always change things around has killed us. players being injured. its been an unfortunate year. decisions where the game is in the balance that didn't go our way such as disallowed trys. the swinton game we had 12 men on the field and they went to score twice. before this we would of been level if not for the disallowed try. just after star goes off they score the following set. if we were not struck with injuries all season and able to field the same team week in week out. then I believe we could of managed our targets beginning of the year. no matter what happens end of the day we stand by the team and the coach, those who want to play will stay those that don't will leave. we need players that want to play for the town and for the coach. we need to make the best out of whatever scenario we are given. there are still games left that on our day we can win.

3 very good messages here. I'm a massive Paul Crarey fan but I think there are one or two comments that haven't been mentioned. First of all Dally has had 3 yellow cards in the last three matches. Secondly our on field discipline has been dreadful and we have given away far too many penalties. We have had a lot of injuries but so have other clubs.

I wasn't at Swinton on Sunday but from speaking to a number of people who were or saw the match on video the offside decision was grossly incorrect. If the try had been allowed it would have made the score 18-18 and who knows? we could well have won but with early seasons results we shouldn't have been fighting to keep out of the bottom two.

We now only have York,Bradford,Sheffield,Toronto & Batley to play and I think it will be a miracle if we avoid relegation. Home wins against Sheffield & Dewsbury would have been sufficient.

With the right tools Cresta is the man for the job. Yes I agree discipline and penalties this year has killed us. I’m sure Dali has reasoning in the yellow cards but at the same time we can’t afford to be a man down. People criticise Cresta but don’t actually know how much he will put into the team behind closed doors. It would be silly to call for Cresta to leave and a massive shame. 

14 minutes ago, uptheraiders7 said:

With the right tools Cresta is the man for the job. Yes I agree discipline and penalties this year has killed us. I’m sure Dali has reasoning in the yellow cards but at the same time we can’t afford to be a man down. People criticise Cresta but don’t actually know how much he will put into the team behind closed doors. It would be silly to call for Cresta to leave and a massive shame. 

He got the players he wanted this year? And look where we are. I think crestas done great for barrow and he truly has barrow at heart but so does all the other coach's named. Sometimes things get stale and need a freshen up and I think the time is right for a new direction imo

34 minutes ago, Newraider said:

He got the players he wanted this year? And look where we are. I think crestas done great for barrow and he truly has barrow at heart but so does all the other coach's named. Sometimes things get stale and need a freshen up and I think the time is right for a new direction imo

Yes he got the players. Of which we constantly had injury issues. Meaning we never managed to get a team playing together week in week out. We also had a few change arounds in the season such as star moving to centre. Lots of things that are all still in the process. 

20 minutes ago, uptheraiders7 said:

Yes he got the players. Of which we constantly had injury issues. Meaning we never managed to get a team playing together week in week out. We also had a few change arounds in the season such as star moving to centre. Lots of things that are all still in the process. 

He got given the money to build a Competitive squad, which everyone thought he had. Not just the 17 but all of the squad. So injuries shouldn't affect us as it has cause everyone in that squad should be up to standard. If the style of play they work to or coaching regime isn't working on the other hand would effect the whole squad more than a few injuries imo. Star is a centre wing. People weren't playing out of position it's just the side isn't performing yes few injuries here and there but the side as a whole isn't working with the current style of play etc. I've watched all season and we play dumb, are we to predictable? I don't know but I rate cresta highly but I always believe clubs and players can get stale and stuck in a rut and need a change

I hope Cresta stays on next year in League One. He has great links with the local amateur game which will be vital going forward.

I feel with our current locals such as Cresswell, Carter, Crellin, Morrow, Mossop, the Toal brothers, we have the nucleus of a very good side who all want to play for their town !!!

2 hours ago, Newraider said:

He got given the money to build a Competitive squad, which everyone thought he had. Not just the 17 but all of the squad. So injuries shouldn't affect us as it has cause everyone in that squad should be up to standard. If the style of play they work to or coaching regime isn't working on the other hand would effect the whole squad more than a few injuries imo. Star is a centre wing. People weren't playing out of position it's just the side isn't performing yes few injuries here and there but the side as a whole isn't working with the current style of play etc. I've watched all season and we play dumb, are we to predictable? I don't know but I rate cresta highly but I always believe clubs and players can get stale and stuck in a rut and need a change

We had an awful luck with injuries. We had to lower the intensity of training to not get any further injuries and we had less than 18 at training at times I believe. No one wants to blame it on Cresta or any particular players. The people that know best are in the current job. We need to realise that Cresta will dedicate all his spare time into the club. He’s brought local talent into the actual first team. Adam Ford, jake Carter, Ryan Johnstone. All three played at the under 19s firness raiders, this year national champions. We can’t just jump to blame the coach who’s done so much. Let’s stand by the team and the coach. No matter what happens 

22 minutes ago, Town utd said:

How long does a coach get to do the job, maybe the players get to complacent, and need another voice to get the best out of the squad,or do we get new players and give creasta fresh players to work with??

I think given the players. Cresta can provide the squad that will deliver. We need to earn the right to play against these bigger teams in championship. When we had the ideal set up. We beat Halifax and Featherstone. I truly believe if we leave things up to the men in charge things will be done and the fans will be happy. We can’t sit and moan it won’t change anything. Yes we can express views but end of the day the lads go out there put their body’s on the line and risk taking time off work through injuries. We have to remember we are only a semi pro team. 

I've read with interest the controversy over the disallowed try 

I think the try was good but for a bit of perspective Swinton had 4 tries disallowed. One the most blatant penalty try too.

As for injuries here are Swintons;

We lost  Will Hope (captain)Ben Austin (vice captain ) at the start of the season to season ending injuries . 

Then we lost Mike Ratu to a serious injury . He made a comeback a month ago and suffered a serious injury and retired . We also lost Ryan Gray who is only just fit after injury the first game of the season.

We signed Jamie Acton to replace the two, Hope and Austin ,but he sustained a season ending injury after 2 games and had to retire. 

We had Liam Forsyth on season long loan from Wigan  who was subsequently released by Wigan and signed for Leigh and has scored plenty for Leigh now. He was brought in to cover for Ratu and Gray. 

And we signed Oscar Thomas who suffers from the inability to make any effort!

So I know most teams have injuries but weve had it hard too

Plus we have 2 players in the top 3 try scorers.

Mike Butt signed from Broughton Park RU

Matty Ashton signed from Mayfield 

20 hours ago, UpTheRaiders said:

On a side note it'd be interesting to see how ore injury situation stacks up against the rest of the league? Is it just bad luck or is their a conditioning and rehab issue? 

It's a RL issue. Injuries have been rampant throughout the game this year, especially in SL but significantly in the Championship as well. One or two clubs hve been a bit luckier than most but the majority have had major injury issues throughout. You aren't the exception, sorry.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

It's a RL issue. Injuries have been rampant throughout the game this year, especially in SL but significantly in the Championship as well. One or two clubs hve been a bit luckier than most but the majority have had major injury issues throughout. You aren't the exception, sorry.

We at Coventry have had a real problem with injuries including first teamers 8 missing last week, of which  4 were stood down  with head injury protocols.

That in a division that has had plenty of weeks off so player burner off is not really a factor.

It is one of the problems of running with a small squad which of course, opens up another can of worms.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I suppose the new interchange rule hasn't helped either add on to that the hectic Easter schedule 

4 minutes ago, UpTheRaiders said:

I suppose the new interchange rule hasn't helped either add on to that the hectic Easter schedule 

I'm sure that you are right. I suspect that this wasn't really considered when the rule was introduced and it might well be due a rethink especially for PT players.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

21 minutes ago, Michael Ashton said:

I agree with these messages about injuries but what about the early 60s (I think) when there were no interchanges and all the players were semi pro. Is the game so much faster and tougher now. I cannot remember that far back.

Yes, it is.

Try YouTube.

36 minutes ago, Michael Ashton said:

I agree with these messages about injuries but what about the early 60s (I think) when there were no interchanges and all the players were semi pro. Is the game so much faster and tougher now. I cannot remember that far back.

Modern rugby is a completely different game 

Archived