Double standards ?

B4RR0W

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Michael Ashton said:

I agree with these messages about injuries but what about the early 60s (I think) when there were no interchanges and all the players were semi pro. Is the game so much faster and tougher now. I cannot remember that far back.

I think the six tackle rule gave us a completely different game.

10 hours ago, Town utd said:

Agree about different game,but don't think it's any tougher , it's more that rugby is played in the summer on harder grounds so the game is faster and the impact on falling on the hard grounds causes more  injurys.

I cant agree with this at all. the players now are better athletes then they were. you cannot say a sport hasn't developed in the many years. of course it is going to be a quicker game and tougher the players are better athletes then they were. regardless of the pitch and weather. you cant say its more because of the hard ground. its more of the matter that players are bigger, stronger and quicker. injures happen regardless, bones haven't got any harder. many people don't understand modern rugby is not the same as rugby 20 years ago. its a completely different game.

I've been impressed with the board and the coaching staff this year. Been very difficult with all the injuries, it doesn't affect match day but also what you can do at training. Some weeks, nearly as many with physio than coaches. I agree with earlier post, i'd stick with the folk we've got. 

And so is tee Ritson, would definitely put him against anyone that’s played for barrow over the years, the point is the game has changed so much since the 70s, 80s and 90s, it’s completely different, like someone has already said, check you tube out and compare. 

So as the skill levels,no ball handling props anymore,no skillful half backs who can jink and side step,also these modern day forwards would not want to play the likes of Frank foster Mal Flynn and Eddie szymala ?agree the game is quicker as an all round game,but not harder?

1 hour ago, Town utd said:

So as the skill levels,no ball handling props anymore,no skillful half backs who can jink and side step,also these modern day forwards would not want to play the likes of Frank foster Mal Flynn and Eddie szymala ?agree the game is quicker as an all round game,but not harder?

Rugby In general or just at barrow???

2 hours ago, Town utd said:

Don't agree,the 3 fastest player's barrow have had played years ago,castle , Murray,Burgess,then Les quirk, in the 80s,no one in barrows team would get anywere near them?

There has been many rapid players for barrow. Currently tee ritson and the likes of Adam ford who played in pre season. That lad is quicker than anyone in the squad over 100m and he’s 19. Training methods have improved everything has developed since then times. So yes nowadays the players are better athletes. 

11 hours ago, uptheraiders7 said:

There has been many rapid players for barrow. Currently tee ritson and the likes of Adam ford who played in pre season. That lad is quicker than anyone in the squad over 100m and he’s 19. Training methods have improved everything has developed since then times. So yes nowadays the players are better athletes. 

he'll not beat ritson from scratch at 100 m I'd wage a house on it . fastest player i've ever seen in the championship 3 yrs ago at workington town and was the county 100 m champ as a teenager 

I think both Mike Murray and Frank Castle  ran at The Powderhall sprints

With all due respect no one in the present Barrow era could have touched them even though I never saw them play.

I don't think anyone around in this era could have touched Ian Ball except perhaps Nico but there again Nico didn't have Bally's sidestep, acceleration and couldn't kick goals in his sleep.

Shipbuilider01.png

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 19:38, Shipbuilder said:

I think both Mike Murray and Frank Castle  ran at The Powderhall sprints

With all due respect no one in the present Barrow era could have touched them even though I never saw them play.

I don't think anyone around in this era could have touched Ian Ball except perhaps Nico but there again Nico didn't have Bally's sidestep, acceleration and couldn't kick goals in his sleep.

who would we say has been barrows best goal kicker??

Kahmal Ganley could slot them.. favourite kicker in a long time

Holty surely is top by consistency over time.

Suppose considering how many games weve lost by the odd couple of points, for CH1 a good goalkicker is a must

Nobody has mentioned Keith Jarrett who was signed from Newport RUFC in 1969 for £14000. He was a tremendous kicker for Wales and then Barrow  Regrettably he was taken seriously ill and retired  in 1973 at the age of 25. I think he was the best kicker I ever saw at CP.

This information was taken from 'Keeping the Dream Alive' by Keith Nutter & Steve Andrews. I hope they don't mind me pinching this from there book.

Archived