Rochdale (A)

Wakefield Ram

5 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

I think we got the rub of the green from James Child today .... its the best I've seen him ref for us ever!!  .. he usually overcompensates his Dewsbury connections so as to be seen unbiased !!  ...

Has Sykes's knee gone again .. I hope not ... rest him against Fev and wheel him out against the dogs!  .. Speakman and Finn will be OK in the halves .... be good to see Dom and Sam Day on the pitch at the same time!

Tom Garratt was awesome today ... and agree Knowles wasn't far behind ....Walshaw's no nonsense  tackling was key as was that tackle by Martin in the first half  in terms of keeping it tight when they were in the ascendancy!

.... love him or hate him Worrincy is exciting to watch and I for one am glad he plays for us!!  ... just loved that try!! 

Overall a great win and one that puts pressure on the chasers

I agree; it isn't often that i feel well looked after by a referee but did think that the Rochdale fans could be a little irked by the number of decisions which went our way, all of them justified but needing a keen-eyed referee to award them.

Our performance was similar to a number this season in that when our pack begins to dominate the opposition we then get well on top and, coupled with Rochdale falling away badly again, we eventually ended up as comfortable winners. There were solid erformances from a number of players as well as the usual entertainment from  our juggler in chief.  Garratt was my MoM also but I reckon most fans easily overlook the part that Finn plays in our successful forays. You might think that he looks just like a link man but his organsiational efforts are excellent.

Sykes's injury looked concerning to the player and I suspect that another gammy knee is playing up once more. He should definitely miss next week's game and see how he is for the Batley match.

We are not yet mathematically safe but I cannot see Barrow conjuring up three wins from their remaining fixtures. This should now allow us to plan in greater detail for our squad-building for next year. Some players will stay but I also expect a number to move on - it should be another "interesting" close season, but this one isn't out of the way yet, with some tasty encounters yet to come.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the problems we've faced all season, really, we definitely need to start our planning and recruiting with some urgency....... The re-introduction of Reserve rugby might mean fewer players available for Championship clubs so the sooner we start the better. All things considered, I have to back track a little and say that Greenwood has done a heck of a job this season......... Hopefully we can avoid the Loan players' scenario next year and have a team that we know turning out week in, week out.

Who would you expect to leave BSJ ??? 

When you consider Lee came in late, a number of our best players had moved on and the teams around us were bringing in players with big reputations, I’m fairly satisfied where we are.

On our day we’re a very solid team - you don’t go and beat Widnes and Featherstone unless you’ve got something about you. We’ve all said it a million times but all those close games - York home and away, Toronto at home, Sheffield at home, Swinton away, Barrow away etc. Even if we’d won just two of those games our season would have a very different feel to it. 

Credit to Lee for bringing in Garratt - he’s been superb and it’s great he’s signed on for next season. I imagine there will be a few players moved on but I’m very confident in Lee’s ability to bring in the right replacements. Next season’s squad will be Lee’s, and I’m looking forward to seeing who he brings in. 

45 minutes ago, the old nine ole said:

I think we got the rub of the green from James Child today .... its the best I've seen him ref for us ever!!  .. he usually overcompensates his Dewsbury connections so as to be seen unbiased !!  ...

Given the large number of games today, I guess it was difficult for the RFL to find a ref without Dewsbury connections!  I wasn't there, but our 4 disallowed tries when you are down in all senses and needing a bit of luck is hard on fans, coach and the players. With his Batley Ref Society connections too, I hope he finds employment elsewhere next week when we play your very nearest and dearest.  Good luck with the rest of this miserable (for us especially) season and whatever the future brings for clubs/supporters outside the elite.

Just think-if those in charge today hadn’t seen what they did, then Rochdale could have won. We applied pressures early on, but saw little from that pressure and had to settle for a couple of tries in the first half, as did the Hornets, but they kicked the goals, so at half time we were down 12-8. 

Must have been given a good ‘talking-to’ at half time because that first half pressure paid off in the second period as we scored 24 unanswered points with Worrincy’s second successive interception try (after another error) probably being the highlight, but Knowles and Garratt stood out. Knowles’ first try was great, running at speed (I thought he wasn’t going to stop) from Sykes’ pass, into an empty in-goal, to touch down.

Hard luck on Rochdale because they certainly like to try and play expansive rugby, but it hasn’t preserved their Championship status. 

Feels good to now sit above Batley and Widnes (even if it be temporary) doesn’t it?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

15 hours ago, glemiln said:

Given the large number of games today, I guess it was difficult for the RFL to find a ref without Dewsbury connections!  I wasn't there, but our 4 disallowed tries when you are down in all senses and needing a bit of luck is hard on fans, coach and the players.  

Have to agree that all the decisions went our way.  I’ve always thought that when your luck seems to desert you when your most down.   Bet we wouldn’t have had that luck against one of the big boys or worse still the doggies.  Thought the first one disallowed for offside after a kick was especially harsh.  Seen much worse allowed to go unchallenged. Even I wasn’t convinced it was offside and I was well placed

good luck for next season   I always enjoy coming to your place  

NickD

Video of Matt Calland's  comments on Hornet's Twitter shows  Abram was clearly on side. Worse still from the penalty you went straight upfield and scored.. It won't have much effect on our season I know. I have seen a lot better referees than James Child this season. 

Just to add a little balance we did also have two tries disallowed.

Maybe if Rochdale knew how to defend then they might garner a bit more sympathy from me but, as we have seen in both matches against them this season, their defence simply crumbles as the match progresses. They have a number of useful players but how many of them will stay with them next year is questionable. A difficut uphill struggle beckons and I wish them all the best.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

19 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Given the problems we've faced all season, really, we definitely need to start our planning and recruiting with some urgency....... The re-introduction of Reserve rugby might mean fewer players available for Championship clubs so the sooner we start the better. All things considered, I have to back track a little and say that Greenwood has done a heck of a job this season......... Hopefully we can avoid the Loan players' scenario next year and have a team that we know turning out week in, week out.

Who would you expect to leave BSJ ??? 

Those who want to go, those who are asking too much, those who get significantly bigger offers from other clubs and those who LG doesn't want to retain. I expect the rest to still be with us next year.

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

NickD

Video of Matt Calland's  comments on Hornet's Twitter shows  Abram was clearly on side. Worse still from the penalty you went straight upfield and scored.. It won't have much effect on our season I know. I have seen a lot better referees than James Child this season. 

If you mean the first Hornets disallowed try, the video shows Abram was marginally offside. And the try disallowed for a forward pass was clearly forward. And there's a hint of a knock on in Rochdale's first try.  

The officials don't care who wins.

15 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

How old is Tom Garratt? He looks a big unit

He's 36 and totally unsuitable for SL.

3 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

If you mean the first Hornets disallowed try, the video shows Abram was marginally offside. A 

The officials don't care who wins.

Phew.  watched a few times using the pause button and when the ball leaves the kickers foot he looks to be onside to me...whichever way you view it we've seen them given many many times...

Shocking defence early doors, but we picked it up as the game progressed...

7 hours ago, NickD said:

Phew.  watched a few times using the pause button and when the ball leaves the kickers foot he looks to be onside to me...whichever way you view it we've seen them given many many times...

Shocking defence early doors, but we picked it up as the game progressed...

Said at the time he was on side and after viewing it I’d say he was,just. Think all other decisions were correct. Not a bad game considering the conditions.

Archived