championship clubs meet on future?

RL hack John Davison reports "several Championship clubs" are discussing forming a league outside the juridstiction of the RFL. At the same time Davidson reports RFL chief Ralph Rimmer is angry at some championship clubs for leaking his own talks with Channel 4. In following this up with clubs Davidson got denials from York Supremo Jon Flatman, and then Featherstone's David Longo, but it appears that top Championship clubs are now making their own moves to protect their futures.

A "possible League" being considered was one which mixed Bradford, Leigh, Dewsbury, Featherstone and York with Toronto, Ottowa, New York and wait for it....Boston.

Whatever is going on it appears top championship chairmen do not want to be led by the much depleted RFL and Rimmer, nor wait for crumbs from the Superleague table, and are considering creating their own Transatlantic League. This is understandable because there's no future for league one with TV money set to be withdrawn, and no path to Superleague without a rich owner. Talks are talks and nothing more, and at times such moves are made to lever a situation like Superleague becoming more generous the top championship clubs lest they  create a rival Transatantic league...

But it is one heck of a talking point. League Weekly pp2 22/7/19.......I have no further comment......

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I never got why some Championship clubs were so vociferous and rude when Super League wanted away from The RFL and a year on, the Championship club’s are doing the same now. 

It’s a shame that we could end up with three separate organisations here. 

I do hope that there is some consideration from the Championship clubs regarding the national status of any prospective League because it would be a shame to cut off any good work done by clubs like Newcastle, London Skolars, Coventry, West Wales etc and it would be a big shame to “lose” top traditional sides that are currently in League One. 

Will be interesting to see Chalmers response to this given all of the poop he's flung at SL owners for doing the same thing.

One way or another these next few years are going to be very interesting for the sport.

34 minutes ago, Moove said:

Will be interesting to see Chalmers response to this given all of the poop he's flung at SL owners for doing the same thing.

One way or another these next few years are going to be very interesting for the sport.

It was Mr Chalmers who first brought this information into the public domain.Months ago.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

RL hack John Davison reports "several Championship clubs" are discussing forming a league outside the juridstiction of the RFL. At the same time Davidson reports RFL chief Ralph Rimmer is angry at some championship clubs for leaking his own talks with Channel 4. In following this up with clubs Davidson got denials from York Supremo Jon Flatman, and then Featherstone's David Longo, but it appears that top Championship clubs are now making their own moves to protect their futures.

A "possible League" being considered was one which mixed Bradford, Leigh, Dewsbury, Featherstone and York with Toronto, Ottowa, New York and wait for it....Boston.

Whatever is going on it appears top championship chairmen do not want to be led by the much depleted RFL and Rimmer, nor wait for crumbs from the Superleague table, and are considering creating their own Transatlantic League. This is understandable because there's no future for league one with TV money set to be withdrawn, and no path to Superleague without a rich owner. Talks are talks and nothing more, and at times such moves are made to lever a situation like Superleague becoming more generous the top championship clubs lest they  create a rival Transatantic league...

But it is one heck of a talking point. League Weekly pp2 22/7/19.......I have no further comment......

Good.

What’s the long term plan here though? I’m sure Toronto, Ottawa, New York etc aren’t wanting to tread water and stay in one division for eternity and will want to compete at the highest level. If/once all these sides outgrow the competition and want/are to be moved to Super League, what happens to Championship 2.0?

Those away tips to Nortrh America won't cost peanuts.Unless subsidised how could Championship clubs afford it.Especially if those N.A. clubs had backers wanting to get into S.L.with better quality players.It would be much better if the N.A. clubs could develop the game through the colleges and universities aiming for enough players and support in 15 to 20yrs time.

A few clubs will feel let down as this has got out too soon. I believe that "just suppose" chats have taken place with a company said to be holding a firm tv offer designed to bring quality RL to N America. The N American teams will be flooded with NRL squad players and the cash for the UK teams will be in excess of the current SL deal from Sky, enabling them to recruit well, 2021 is the projected launch but the teams mentioned to me are more than that list

13 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

It would be much better if the N.A. clubs could develop the game through the colleges and universities aiming for enough players and support in 15 to 20yrs time.

Or they could use former American/Canadian Football players. :kolobok_ph34r:

rldfsignature.jpg

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That small West Yorkshire village of Bradford.....that is near on twice the size of the city of Hull.....

This would be the Bradford that would insist on leaving the RLF... even though the RLF actually own the lease on their stadium?

I do know that rugby league was created by a breakaway, but losing one further breakaway may be unfortunate... to lose two would be careless.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

This would be the Bradford that would insist on leaving the RLF... even though the RLF actually own the lease on their stadium?

I do know that rugby league was created by a breakaway, but losing one further breakaway may be unfortunate... to lose two would be careless.

Yeah but.....still not really a small village though is it? 

I agree with what you're saying - another breakaway isn't going to help. 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Only if the money is good enough to interest the giridiron players whose transferable skills and adaptability are good enough for them to attempt and make the transition.  It will have to be better than the CFL minimum of 54,000 C$, and possibly a lot better to achieve that.

3 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

A few clubs will feel let down as this has got out too soon. I believe that "just suppose" chats have taken place with a company said to be holding a firm tv offer designed to bring quality RL to N America. The N American teams will be flooded with NRL squad players and the cash for the UK teams will be in excess of the current SL deal from Sky, enabling them to recruit well, 2021 is the projected launch but the teams mentioned to me are more than that lis

Just say it did happen ( and I don't think it will). Even if it meant lots more money/TV exposure in general I don't see how it can be good for the game having 2 unconnected 'top', tiers

Surely a Super League 1 and 2 made of 10 teams each with pronotion/relegation makes more cohesive sense. Also mitigates against relegation meaning the ruination of a club. 

37 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Just say it did happen ( and I don't think it will). Even if it meant lots more money/TV exposure in general I don't see how it can be good for the game having 2 unconnected 'top', tiers

Surely a Super League 1 and 2 made of 10 teams each with pronotion/relegation makes more cohesive sense. Also mitigates against relegation meaning the ruination of a club. 

It's a bit like brexit negotiations, never declare your hand until you have a deal keeping all your options alive whilst negotiating. That's why May fekked that one up and the Championship super clubs don't want the same 

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Certainly some of those that never made the cut into NFL / CFL might be interested, and they’d still be incredible athletes with the basic skills already there. 

44 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

10 club leagues are so dull, playing the same teams again and again. I’d have thought with a couple of Canadian and French teams coming in 14 would be sustainable, and more interesting (with a 27 game regular season). 

Archived