championship clubs meet on future?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Padge said:

I have never seen so much tosh in such a short space in one thread, this must be setting some sort of record.

This thread should be locked until the off-season when such craziness is allowed.

4 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve been practicing all night saying, “Me-ga Leeaague” in the style of boxing announcer Michael Buffer.

I really hope I get the gig as the roving pre-match announcer ahead of all the big tv clashes.

Apparently it will be the world series

13 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

A few clubs will feel let down as this has got out too soon. I believe that "just suppose" chats have taken place with a company said to be holding a firm tv offer designed to bring quality RL to N America. The N American teams will be flooded with NRL squad players and the cash for the UK teams will be in excess of the current SL deal from Sky, enabling them to recruit well, 2021 is the projected launch but the teams mentioned to me are more than that list

9 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

It's a bit like brexit negotiations, never declare your hand until you have a deal keeping all your options alive whilst negotiating. That's why May fekked that one up and the Championship super clubs don't want the same 

9 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

The names I am hearing are FS1 and a well known UK promoter.  

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

SL would be the junior comp within 3 years, rumour is £5m per club from tv deal plus expenses, with season played in blocks i.e. 4 games in America then 4 at home

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

I agree, must be some contracted to SL thing

16 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Apparently it will be the world series

I hope this is a wind up by you, because it's suckered a lot of people in.

If you seriously believe these things, wow!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

11 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

So are we talking about a breakaway league of Championship clubs here complete with its own TV deal?

Very astute, and to assist the debate I set out the main thrust of Andrew Chalmers view of the future after meeting Mr. Perez. He promotes the idea the money is in a transatlantic game, and denounces failing top English clubs for aligning with the worthless French to maintain their own failing league:-

I am looking forward to understanding about the appetite for rugby league in Canada. The whole Toronto expansion is a credit to David Argyle & Eric Perez. The success of Toronto has stimulated further interest from other North American cities to play rugby league. I have long held the view that our sport has to grow or it will simply decline as other sports continue to make progress and, accordingly, the Bulls are fully supportive of Ottawa.

The world is changing at a rapid pace with sports available all over the globe 24 hours a day and rugby league has to make progress in this entertainment-filled market place or it will inevitably face the prospect of being marginalised. The RFL’s preparedness to explore these options does them credit.

I read recently that both Robert Elstone and Eamonn McManus were promoting the case for Toulouse playing in the Super League ahead of North American expansion but that is a position I simply don’t understand. French rugby league are contributing nothing for the privileges of playing in the British competitions. If you can’t bring more to the table than you take out, then how can you expect to stay in the game?

The introduction of teams from North America will clearly grow the market appeal and eyeballs for rugby league stakeholders. This means the overall value of the game grows for media and broadcast partners along with sponsors. Robert Elstone’s recent comments, clearly (show) the stakeholders he represents see it as affecting their club positions and status in the game. The problem is vested interests……..

8 hours ago, Padge said:

I have never seen so much tosh in such a short space in one thread, this must be setting some sort of record.

I don't fully know if Andrew Chalmers is talking tosh, I ain't going to comment on that, but the idea is that there will be two rival leagues is the great debate now, and supposedly faced with two leagues to play in the top players will go where the money is. That's the simple view. I've never though any of this was that simple but let's see what people think. I know what you think now and it disagrees with one of the most experienced of Championship club bosses who I suggest has wide experience in the business end of the game?!!

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

French rugby league are contributing nothing for the privileges of playing in the British competitions. If you can’t bring more to the table than you take out, then how can you expect to stay in the game?

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

and denounces failing top English clubs for aligning with the worthless French to maintain their own failing league:-

Terminable interminabilty!

this is the Parky don't shoot the messenger vision

image.png.76ebbcaf7c100d17b8afaa5319f9eec0.png

This is what the rest of us see

image.png.b14efac3545524d63977474600cf402b.png

And this is the truth

image.png.c529db3236d7b6b729ffdca40a73c8b4.png

Look we can't have a cross Atlantic league of pathological bovine excrement because there's only enough for Andrew Charmers and Parky to share. Come on. you tell me where is all the extra bovid manure going to come from? Now no insult please just genuine debate!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Given that only two months ago Chalmers was advocating abandoning the south of France as a rugby league heartland in place of setting up new clubs in Paris and Lyon, I'm not exactly sold on his ideas of expansion.

Unless we were talking an influx of huge sums of money which dwarf anything SL can generate (NRL-style) I can't see a new competition taking over as the dominant one any time soon. That sounds like wishful thinking on the part of a couple of posters. It seems illogical that any new competition could generate that sort of money when three of the clubs don't even exist yet.

FWIW though if Championship clubs are indeed looking at their future beyond the next couple of years then that can only be a good thing. They'd clearly be looking at ways to avoid being dependent on hand-outs from any SL-broadcaster deals. If it means being able to expose RL to more markets then there could be potential opportunities for the wider sport, and if Sky feel like they might have more competition for coverage then we could find it works to SL's advantage in TV deal negotiations. Even if it comes to nought for the Championship/NA clubs.

On 24/07/2019 at 08:52, The Parksider said:

RL hack John Davison reports "several Championship clubs" are discussing forming a league outside the juridstiction of the RFL. At the same time Davidson reports RFL chief Ralph Rimmer is angry at some championship clubs for leaking his own talks with Channel 4. In following this up with clubs Davidson got denials from York Supremo Jon Flatman, and then Featherstone's David Longo, but it appears that top Championship clubs are now making their own moves to protect their futures.

A "possible League" being considered was one which mixed Bradford, Leigh, Dewsbury, Featherstone and York with Toronto, Ottowa, New York and wait for it....Boston.

Whatever is going on it appears top championship chairmen do not want to be led by the much depleted RFL and Rimmer, nor wait for crumbs from the Superleague table, and are considering creating their own Transatlantic League. This is understandable because there's no future for league one with TV money set to be withdrawn, and no path to Superleague without a rich owner. Talks are talks and nothing more, and at times such moves are made to lever a situation like Superleague becoming more generous the top championship clubs lest they  create a rival Transatantic league...

But it is one heck of a talking point. League Weekly pp2 22/7/19.......I have no further comment......

Ah.  Investigating future options and potential broadcasting opportunities in light of central SL funding being removed?  That'll be 'crystal clear' then.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

If we ever come to understand that if we unite behind RL, rather than wave banners about our clubs, we'll be unstoppable.

And people say a North American dream is unrealistic.

If the SL clubs intend to cut all funding to the Championship and League 1 then it’s not surprising that a few radical ideas are being floated.

I would have thought Toronto might even prefer to play Ottawa, New York and Boston as soon as possible with any collection of English clubs to make up the numbers if the money was right.

It’s easily forgotten that the London clubs will probably enjoy a much greater prestige value in North American eyes than the the traditional UK RL heavyweights from towns in Yorkshire/Lancashire.

From the perspective of the Championship/League 1 clubs, I would have thought anything has to be better than current prospects.

Bottom line is , Leeds or Batley ? , Leigh or Wigan ? , It makes no difference to Toronto ,OttAwa ,Boston or NY 

If a closed shop is in the way , with nothing more than some crumbs to keep the peasants in their place , then I'd expect anything and everything to be looked at 

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Bottom line is , Leeds or Batley ? , Leigh or Wigan ? , It makes no difference to Toronto ,OttAwa ,Boston or NY 

If a closed shop is in the way , with nothing more than some crumbs to keep the peasants in their place , then I'd expect anything and everything to be looked at 

It does really though. If they could get the 6 biggest UK clubs to go along then getting a decent UK tv deal suddenly becomes possible. That means investment from both sides of the world if the N.A teams can bring some.

I'm sure they would rather be in bed with clubs who already turn over £7-10m and have decent fan bases rather than their generally smaller neighbours.

But, I agree with your last paragraph, it's right that everything should be considered no matter how out there it may seem.

44 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It does really though. If they could get the 6 biggest UK clubs to go along then getting a decent UK tv deal suddenly becomes possible. That means investment from both sides of the world if the N.A teams can bring some.

I'm sure they would rather be in bed with clubs who already turn over £7-10m and have decent fan bases rather than their generally smaller neighbours.

But, I agree with your last paragraph, it's right that everything should be considered no matter how out there it may seem.

ckn say to quote the whole so I have but all that interested me was the phrase "everything should be considered" and yes that's right but it should be done by the sport as a whole ...... but it never will be.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

ckn say to quote the whole so I have but all that interested me was the phrase "everything should be considered" and yes that's right but it should be done by the sport as a whole ...... but it never will be.

" The sport as a whole " changed when SL decided to take control of their own future , plus if the SL owners haven't been as enthusiastic as was hoped about NA expansion , then maybe a deal can be done with the Championship 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

It could be that the top 6 SL clubs may well be to strong for what rosters the N.A. teams could assemble, would/could the American public put up with being thrashed every week, besides that the Championship in recent times is playing a brand of Rugby League Football that is more aesthetically pleasing to watch than SL, before anyone jumps down my throat and says Championship teams would not beat SL teams wholescale I totally agree, but that doesn't make it any less pleasing to view.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It could be that the top 6 SL clubs may well be to strong for what rosters the N.A. teams could assemble, would/could the American public put up with being thrashed every week, besides that the Championship in recent times is playing a brand of Rugby League Football that is more aesthetically pleasing to watch than SL, before anyone jumps down my throat and says Championship teams would not beat SL teams wholescale I totally agree, but that doesn't make it any less pleasing to view.

Ignoring the subjective view of playing standards, if the money was in this new comp then surely the players would just go to these teams and they would play like the SL comp does now?

To indulge this fantasy overall, the only reason I could see them jumping into bed with the smaller clubs is it would be cheaper. But parterning with these clubs just makes it less likely to succeed in the UK. 

I'm afraid it doesn't make sense to me for the N.A clubs. The only way it would is if the SL clubs have outright rejected prominent N.A presence.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Ignoring the subjective view of playing standards, if the money was in this new comp then surely the players would just go to these teams and they would play like the SL comp does now?

To indulge this fantasy overall, the only reason I could see them jumping into bed with the smaller clubs is it would be cheaper. But parterning with these clubs just makes it less likely to succeed in the UK. 

I'm afraid it doesn't make sense to me for the N.A clubs. The only way it would is if the SL clubs have outright rejected prominent N.A presence.

It has never made any sense at all.

But I'm glad the Champioship clubs are taking charge of their own destiny which really is a thread worth following.

Archived