People are Drawn into International Sport Simply Because it is International

I agree with the sentiment. International fixtures reach out beyond anything the club game can offer as it gives spectators a natural team to back/take interest in and has a much grander sense of occasion.

8 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Excellent, who are England Rugby League playing this year? 

beggars belief doesn't it!.. 

The sentiment is exactly right, look at RU where loads of people watch the six nations, most of whom would never think of watching any RU club games. But of course...

15 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

...exactly.

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Usually get ourselfs down to London for any international rugby league . No rugby this year , still headed down for the Athletics at the Olympic Park . Twice we have been to the stadium , once rugby and now athletics . Great stadium , if a little bit confusing re - seating running track . I would say the attendance on the Saturday was less than the rugby , still a fantastic atmosphere .   

I listened to Ralph Rimmer on the recent Dave Woods podcast and I thought he spoke very well again. He seems very grounded and also open to new ideas and suggestion. I've been impressed by him whenever I've seen or heard him speak - which admittedly isn't that often.

As for the international sport thing, I agree that it is often the best way to showcase your sport. However, there are many factors that go into making a success of a sport or event. It's not enough just to put on an international match and think that people will flock to see it.

58 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I listened to Ralph Rimmer on the recent Dave Woods podcast and I thought he spoke very well again. He seems very grounded and also open to new ideas and suggestion. I've been impressed by him whenever I've seen or heard him speak - which admittedly isn't that often.

As for the international sport thing, I agree that it is often the best way to showcase your sport. However, there are many factors that go into making a success of a sport or event. It's not enough just to put on an international match and think that people will flock to see it.

But most people not brought up with RL tend to be attracted to the game via watching international matches, especially those on FTA. You yourself are proof of that. 

rldfsignature.jpg

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

No one.

5 hours ago, RP London said:

beggars belief doesn't it!.. 

No

4 hours ago, wilsontown said:

The sentiment is exactly right, look at RU where loads of people watch the six nations, most of whom would never think of watching any RU club games. But of course...

...exactly.

So had it been England touring you would have made yourself available for the journey. 

I would wager all 3 of you guys will be glued to the TV for all 4 of GB's games irrespective of you not being in favour, for mine I will wave to you all from the stands (excepting PNG) the others I am attending, C'mon GB can't wait to board the plane.

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

But most people not brought up with RL tend to be attracted to the game via watching international matches, especially those on FTA. You yourself are proof of that. 

I don't disagree. However, the point I'm making is that 'internationals' aren't a magic fix all. I watched because it was GB vs Australia on BBC, and the crowds were big and I therefore knew it must be something significant. I also knew about England v Australia rivalry in cricket and rugby union, etc. Therefore it was the whole package that came together to create my interest.

I maybe wouldn't have had the same reaction if it was GB vs PNG in front of a few thousand somewhere. That's what I'm trying to say - it's not just because it's an international match that causes people to be interested. If it were that straightforward, every sport would be putting on international matches and revelling in huge crowd support.

8 hours ago, wilsontown said:

...exactly.

Absolutely true. The vast majority of people would have no idea who won this years English league club rugby union title, none of whom would have watched a solitary minute of action, but a decent chunk would have seen some of the six nations.

Listening to the Full Eighty Minutes podcast I’m amazed the presenters (mainly Craig Harrison) mention RU having stars thar RL doesn’t have. I couldn’t name one active RU star (the last one was Jonny Wilkinson). It’s not stars that draw people to RU, as I say there are none, it’s that six week tournament involving nations. 

How'd the Wednesday night England v France test in Leigh go?

The sentiment is correct of course, but the many dismal failures we've endured in international rugby league are proof enough that 'people are drawn to international competition simply because it is international... And well organised, promoted and planned featuring full strength teams playing for something meaningful.'

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

England Knights play Jamaica, England won’t play a single game in 2019.

I don't understand why the don't just call them England (and give a test against France as well). Wouldn't that help get more interest from media, sponsors and broadcasters?

5 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I don't understand why the don't just call them England (and give a test against France as well). Wouldn't that help get more interest from media, sponsors and broadcasters?

Couldn't agree more. 

England in Union or Wales tour in the Lions years and still call it the England team despite it being at least 10 players down on the typical team due to Lions call ups. 

It would be wise to follow suit. 

6 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I suspect that if a second string team were selected and called 'England' there would be calls of outrage at devaluing the test caps etc. etc.

The Knights vs. Jamaica is a sensible game to have and provides a game for the emerging English players while allowing Jamaica some exposure.

Having this game as the full English team is not right but calling the second team England is not right either.

None of this would matter of the proper England team were getting a game or two this year and France would be the logical choice. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Having this game as the full English team is not right but calling the second team England is not right either. 

England football routinely play games where 11 subs are used. They still play as England.

England RU is playing games while their best players are touring with the British Lions. They still play as England. They almost never label a game as a friendly.

England cricket are playing a test match today. Only 4 of the team played in the world cup final and most of them know they won't be playing Australia next week either. They almost never play a "friendly" - it's a test match or an ODI.

All 3 of them routinely use non-competition games to try out new players etc.

If some players are unavailable due to other commitments, it's still England for me. I don't see what is gained by calling them Knights unless the full England team is playing elsewhere on the same day.

Archived