Fave league 1 club

fans of super league and championship clubs, who do u prefer in league 1, which club is best supported? for me i support workington town.

I like all of them, a mix of traditional clubs who’ve fallen on bad times which I’d love them to recover from or expansion teams giving it a go - what’s not to like.

If I had to pick one to go up this year though I’d go with either Newcastle (who it seems have the potential to expend the game in a new area) or one of the Cumbrian teams (as it would be good to have another team from that heartland area in the Championship, preferably both). 

I like all of them as well. At the moment i’m hoping Newcastle get promotion. There’s good things going on there and they seem like the next progression after the success of York.

As for the more traditional clubs I like Hunslet and Keighley, probably because they’re Yorkshire and Whitehaven are one of my favourites too but not for any particular reasons.

If Barrow are relegated I hope one of the other Cumbrian sides get promotion. Newcastle to win the league and Whitehaven up in the play offs would be my ideal scenario. 

Newcastle, always had a soft spot for them since (as Gateshead) they were stiffed by the other clubs after 1 year in SL. It was criminal, and I'm not picking on Hull here, all clubs were a party to it. They worked wonders to reform and survive so long and it's great to see the progress made by the game up there in recent years.

It has to be Keighley Cougars.

The most difficult of history,and operating in the shadow of big-brother Bradford Bulls,yet the most innovative and inclusive of clubs.

Long story,short - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/keighley-s-super-league-omission-a-real-injustice-1-2558150

Back to the future - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/weekend-interview-why-hometown-pride-left-unfinished-business-for-keighley-cougars-1-9681763

Not forgetting giving Jason Demetriou his first head coaching position,before he went to Oz,and really made his name - and as a club they don't forget their people;hence the recall to the club of Phil Larder.

A proactive supporters club and a real connection,now,between owners,players and supporters.Oh,and another Australian head coach.

Keighley Cougars? I thought they were finished just a matter of months ago...

It seems Cougars Don't Quit...

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Have a soft spot for North Wales, probably the largest away support of the non heartland league 1 clubs. 

I always look out for Coventry's results too, hopefully last Saturday was just a blip as they are slowly progressing.

I had the pleasure of visiting them all last season (plus York now in the Championship and Hemel, sadly no longer in the comp) while watching Bradford Bulls last season and I had a fantastic time at all of them.

Honestly, the whole sport needs to appreciate the lower leagues much more than it does. What the clubs achieve on limited, almost non-existent resources is incredible.

Keighley Cougars. I used to play for their junior sides and their 'A' team back in the day. I even scored two tries on a Friday night in Warrington (even though I wasn't playing as they put my name on the team sheet), that's my claim to fame lol

As a former player it's Bears all the way

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Newcastle Thunder. As I live up here, I am biased, but a promotion this year will, technically, see them at the same level as the Falcons. 

There is a massive potential for them in a large market and a rugby playing area. There is a thriving, and expanding amateur league. Their Academy is competitive with SL academy squads, and Reserves next year will enable them to keep more youngsters in the game. They are also picking up promising juniors from Union, including one from my youngest son's school year.

Is anyone else doing that?

Get Magic back ASAP.

Edit: Average crowd is in four figures this year. Better than some Championship teams of very long standing. 1061 as it stands. If only they hadn't lost at Coventry they'd be favourites to win the league.

On 25/07/2019 at 22:34, John Drake said:

Honestly, the whole sport needs to appreciate the lower leagues much more than it does. What the clubs achieve on limited, almost non-existent resources is incredible.

Good on you John, a true Gent, well said. ??

All of them for the simple reason that they are there every week battling against the odds and struggling to exist on a pittance. Any RL club is a good one in my opinion. I like to see the current weakest link do well. If we continually strive to improve the weakest link the chain will become stronger.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived