RFL post losses after CC Final

7 hours ago, JonM said:

I've been to every final at the new Wembley as a neutral and there's always been thousands of neutrals there, judging by the number of club shirts on display. Maybe the difference is that it's only a few thousand rather than half of the crowd as was maybe the case in the past.

No way was half the crowd neutrals in the past, maybe 1/5 at the sports peak. You have actually been to games at the old Wembley right?you're massively over estimating the local amateur clubs outing numbers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

No way was half the crowd neutrals in the past, maybe 1/5 at the sports peak. You have actually been to games at the old Wembley right?you're massively over estimating the local amateur clubs outing numbers.

We'd always take a full coach and overspill on the train before SL and the other (Marshland Rangers) team in the village took their own trip with probably the same numbers.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

We'd always take a full coach and overspill on the train before SL and the other (Marshland Rangers) team in the village took their own trip with probably the same numbers.

So what, still never been 1/5 neutrals never mind the crackpot 'half'!

There was almost 100,000 in attendance when Wigan played Hull in 1985 so you’re saying 80,000 came from the two competing teams? 

rldfsignature.jpg

So what, still never been 1/5 neutrals never mind the crackpot 'half'!

A lot of working men's clubs used to run their own trips as well. I don't live in a rugby league area and as well as the rugby trips 3 working mens club also ran trips, this was common with every area not just where the finalists came from.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

13 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

There was almost 100,000 in attendance when Wigan played Hull in 1985 so you’re saying 80,000 came from the two competing teams? 

Indeed, claiming never more than 20% neutrals is nonsense.

I believe when Warrington last made it they officially sold about 13-15k from Wire, no doubt there were more via the RFL, but probably 5k or so. 

I expect the clubs probably take around 20k, sometimes maybe the fixture or novelty will drive this higher. I know when Wire first made it against Hudds it was huge, we probably took around 30k - everyone wanted a ticket as we hadn't played there for decades. I went as part of a group of 12. By the 5th visit in a decade, that number will have been way way lower. 

When our crowd has been as high as 85k, it is unlikely that 68k of those were from Leeds and Wire. I'd guess the neutrals at around the 20-30k mark. Last year I suspect there was around 45k in the ground, with no more than 20k Wire, and 5k Catalans and the rest neutrals, and that was for a game that wasn't the most attractive for neutrals.

On 25/07/2019 at 11:32, JonM said:

You sure about that? My recollection is that certain parts of the upper tier were in use and google images does seem to show people in some upper blocks when the trophy is being presented.

The RFL loss is an improvement on the 2017 £2m loss due to paying off Big Nige & Roger Draper.

don't know but corporate facilities will have some seats in the top tiers....

On 25/07/2019 at 21:39, DiH68 said:

Jesus christ...that is embarrassing! Is this honestly the best we can do?

I love the motivational ###### on the wall and then these four in front of it.  :kolobok_no:

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

19 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Back then shops in the towns decorated their windows and cake shops sold cup final cakes..

You could get daft hats and scalfs and people who didn't even follow rugby were swept along with cup final fever and joined the coaches that pubs and social clubs ran to the cup final!

When the official coaches were full you could ring around the pubs to see if they had seats left....

Now the pubs and shops are struggling to stay open and the pubs certaintly dont run coaches like they used to.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Back then shops in the towns decorated their windows and cake shops sold cup final cakes..

You could get daft hats and scalfs and people who didn't even follow rugby were swept along with cup final fever and joined the coaches that pubs and social clubs ran to the cup final!

When the official coaches were full you could ring around the pubs to see if they had seats left....

Now the pubs and shops are struggling to stay open and the pubs certaintly dont run coaches like they used to.

That is so sad.

Archived