Wigan make big offer for George Burgess

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

It's what we need so I'm pleased but there's a side to his game that I don't like and he has to keep his discipline (and hold of the ball). An upgrade on Tautai.

Agree.  It's probably my misconception but on the rare time I see him on TV he does seemingly drop the ball often. 

He will add to Super League and i look forward to that. 

1 minute ago, Charlie RL said:

Agree.  It's probably my misconception but on the rare time I see him on TV he does seemingly drop the ball often. 

He will add to Super League and i look forward to that. 

In 2017 both Tom and George had a problem with their ball retention and were worth a couple of errors every game.

It was sorted last year and again this year their error rate is lower than a lot of props and about average overall.  As with a lot of players a reputation for something is hard to shake though and every dropped ball comes with 'there they go again' when an opponent may drop 3 more and go unmentioned. 

Big brother Sam is the Burgess with the error problem but the rest of his game makes up for it somewhat but he would be a much better player if he sorted it out.

The gouging incidents are disgusting but he has been punished. George is a good signing for Wigan as I think he could still have his best years ahead of him after a couple of seasons hampered by a hip injury. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, wackojacko said:

It's what we need so I'm pleased but there's a side to his game that I don't like and he has to keep his discipline (and hold of the ball). An upgrade on Tautai.

Are you mistaking him for Sam "secret squirrel" Burgess?

8 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is this official then?

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2019-07-28-in-focus-george-burgess

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wigan are looking good for next year. Hastings, Burgess, Clarke and French all seem to be upgrades on their current incumbents. I also suspect that Hardaker will be more dangerous next year with a full year behind him and Hastings presenting more attacking opportunities.

With Warrington strengthening with Widdop, Catalans bringing in Maloney and Saints due to make no signings for 2020, I think we'll see a number of teams at a very similar level.

4 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

With Warrington strengthening with Widdop, Catalans bringing in Maloney and Saints due to make no signings for 2020, I think we'll see a number of teams at a very similar level.

Excited for next season. The big Super League clubs are signing some genuinely top-notch players, some of who have marketable off-field qualities 

As ever with signings, it is worth looking at them in the round, and now we have the full picture it is looking very good indeed. We already had a superb squad, under performing under Lam until now, and of course have wonderful juniors. At prop, we had to move away from Wane’s approach of looking for players in his own image, and we will now have Burgess, Bullock, Navarette and Clark already mature, with Byrne and the brilliant Havard naturally big and with huge talent in reserve, as Clubb and Flower wind down. Plus of course Smithies doing his best Bateman mark 2 impression. 

If Hardaker kicks on, running off Hastings, and Manfredi gets and stays fit, and French gets back to his 2017 Indigenous All Stars form, we will be a side worth seeing. 

With holbrook  leaving in the next couple of months, and Walmsley and Thompson working out which NRL club to join, normal service is being resumed pdq. 

2 hours ago, overtheborder said:

Wigan really strengthening over the past few weeks, Lenagan, Rads, Lam etc definitely not sitting on their hands. I'm excited at the thought of these new players gelling with the current squad, could be a real quality side.

For the pie eaters sake I hope there not sitting on the one pair of hands the Burgess's seem to have between them?

18 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Fits the culture of that club beautifully. It’s like a hand in the eye, I mean glove. Glove. I wonder what his ability to drink and make stupid decisions is? 

Bitter is as bitter does.   If I was you I would go to your dictionary and look up the meaning of Karma.

7 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As ever with signings, it is worth looking at them in the round, and now we have the full picture it is looking very good indeed. We already had a superb squad, under performing under Lam until now, and of course have wonderful juniors. At prop, we had to move away from Wane’s approach of looking for players in his own image, and we will now have Burgess, Bullock, Navarette and Clark already mature, with Byrne and the brilliant Havard naturally big and with huge talent in reserve, as Clubb and Flower wind down. Plus of course Smithies doing his best Bateman mark 2 impression. 

If Hardaker kicks on, running off Hastings, and Manfredi gets and stays fit, and French gets back to his 2017 Indigenous All Stars form, we will be a side worth seeing. 

With Holgate leaving in the next couple of months, and Walmsley and Thompson working out which NRL club to join, normal service is being resumed pdq. 

I think you are right to be excited about the Wigan squad for next year, this beginning to look very strong.  I hope Havard does get some game time and Smithies is going to be outstanding. 

The only thing I would disagree with is wanting the opposition to weaken... I would love to see Burgess and Bullock go head to head against Walmsley and Thompson next year rather than the Saints duo leave.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Fits the culture of that club beautifully. It’s like a hand in the eye, I mean glove. Glove. I wonder what his ability to drink and make stupid decisions is? 

Oh dear another embarrassing diatrade from a sad and bitter child,has the bad weather knocked CBeebies off.

Archived