Wigan make big offer for George Burgess

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Fits the culture of that club beautifully. It’s like a hand in the eye, I mean glove. Glove. I wonder what his ability to drink and make stupid decisions is? 

Wonder no more. Just ask him. @burgessgeorge.

Of course, you won't.   Macbeth,  Act 5,  scene 5, lines 25 to 27.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Wonder no more. Just ask him. @burgessgeorge.

Of course, you won't.   Macbeth,  Act 5,  scene 5, lines 25 to 27.

I mean, that’s not a mature response, is it John?

Its a genuine query. Given his disciplinary record, is this a sign of a much needed cultural change at Wigan? 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Its a genuine query. Given his disciplinary record, is this a sign of a much needed cultural change at Wigan? 

To be fair he only attacks men. 

12 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As ever with signings, it is worth looking at them in the round, and now we have the full picture it is looking very good indeed. We already had a superb squad, under performing under Lam until now, and of course have wonderful juniors. At prop, we had to move away from Wane’s approach of looking for players in his own image, and we will now have Burgess, Bullock, Navarette and Clark already mature, with Byrne and the brilliant Havard naturally big and with huge talent in reserve, as Clubb and Flower wind down. Plus of course Smithies doing his best Bateman mark 2 impression. 

If Hardaker kicks on, running off Hastings, and Manfredi gets and stays fit, and French gets back to his 2017 Indigenous All Stars form, we will be a side worth seeing. 

With holbrook  leaving in the next couple of months, and Walmsley and Thompson working out which NRL club to join, normal service is being resumed pdq. 

It's good to see some explosive props at the club, been long overdue.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I'm not sure someone's past record is that indicative of a culture at a club to be honest. I'd imagine there's a similar number of players at each club with previous disciplinary incidents, just some more publicised than others. Rugby league is just a cross section of society in this sense (and generally). And then also let's not forget everyone on earth has done something wrong at some point, so I don't really agree with the "we shouldn't be signing x due to past record" principle.

14 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

As ever with signings, it is worth looking at them in the round, and now we have the full picture it is looking very good indeed. We already had a superb squad, under performing under Lam until now, and of course have wonderful juniors. At prop, we had to move away from Wane’s approach of looking for players in his own image, and we will now have Burgess, Bullock, Navarette and Clark already mature, with Byrne and the brilliant Havard naturally big and with huge talent in reserve, as Clubb and Flower wind down. Plus of course Smithies doing his best Bateman mark 2 impression. 

If Hardaker kicks on, running off Hastings, and Manfredi gets and stays fit, and French gets back to his 2017 Indigenous All Stars form, we will be a side worth seeing. 

With holbrook  leaving in the next couple of months, and Walmsley and Thompson working out which NRL club to join, normal service is being resumed pdq. 

Gotta admire your optimism but Bullock, Navarette & Clarke will be just as bang average next year as they have been this year, Hastings has been hit & miss this year for Salford and nowhere near as dominant as he was in 2018, French hasn't played well for a couple of years hence getting dropped to Reserves from an under-performing NRL team.

As for Burgess - His form has gone downhill for the last few years, he still has hands like flippers, but at least he's already got the Wigan mentality of being a total grub !

Oh and Walmsley has already said No to an NRL move and Thompson has said he will see out his current Saints contract before considering moving over there. So for 2020 they will have released 2 unwanted players in Swift & Douglas and have room left for a new signing if they want to add to the current squad.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

As for Burgess - His form has gone downhill for the last few years, he still has hands like flippers

Burgess's error rate per match this year (7 errors in 11 games) is lower than Alex Walmsley (17 errors in 19 games).

He also makes more metres per carry (9.3) than Walmsley (8).

It is only fair to point out that I believe Walmsley does more minutes per game but I can't find that stat.

I really rate Walmsley but I was convinced that George Burgess was going to be the outstanding prop in the English game when he was coming through the Academy system. As it happens he went to the NRL and was arguably the best player on the park in a Grand Final win.

I am really looking forward to seeing how he goes in Super League next year and in particular up against Walmsley. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, overtheborder said:

I'm not sure someone's past record is that indicative of a culture at a club to be honest. I'd imagine there's a similar number of players at each club with previous disciplinary incidents, just some more publicised than others. Rugby league is just a cross section of society in this sense (and generally). And then also let's not forget everyone on earth has done something wrong at some point, so I don't really agree with the "we shouldn't be signing x due to past record" principle.

And he has been playing for 9 years at Souths not Wigan.  And England.  It's sour grapes because 2 Saints props are going to end up going the other way. (which will disappoint me to be honest).

31 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

.  It's sour grapes because 2 Saints props are going to end up going the other way. (which will disappoint me to be honest).

Which 2 would that be ?

Walmsley turned down several NRL offers last year and said he didn't want to go (for family reasons) and Thompson has said he will see out his current Saints contract until 2021 and then consider any NRL offers.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Gotta admire your optimism but Bullock, Navarette & Clarke will be just as bang average next year as they have been this year, Hastings has been hit & miss this year for Salford and nowhere near as dominant as he was in 2018, French hasn't played well for a couple of years hence getting dropped to Reserves from an under-performing NRL team.

As for Burgess - His form has gone downhill for the last few years, he still has hands like flippers, but at least he's already got the Wigan mentality of being a total grub !

Oh and Walmsley has already said No to an NRL move and Thompson has said he will see out his current Saints contract before considering moving over there. So for 2020 they will have released 2 unwanted players in Swift & Douglas and have room left for a new signing if they want to add to the current squad.

Even after finally emerging from Wigan's shadow this season still so much bitterness.

I do agree with you on Naverette,Bullock will build on his early season promise next year and Clarke will add depth.

Hastingswill go well at a stable club,Burgess will be a great signing, as for your views on French,you signed Coote after he spent last year in reserve grade for an under performing club,he hasn't gone to badly for you this season.

17 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Even after finally emerging from Wigan's shadow this season still so much bitterness.

I do agree with you on Naverette,Bullock will build on his early season promise next year and Clarke will add depth.

Hastingswill go well at a stable club,Burgess will be a great signing, as for your views on French,you signed Coote after he spent last year in reserve grade for an under performing club,he hasn't gone to badly for you this season.

Coote was already a GF winner with the Cowboys and he didn't lose his 1st team spot due to poor performance like French. He was out with a knee injury for nearly a year and when he was fit enough to return the Cowboys had already got a replacement in and had a good junior coming through 

4 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Coote was already a GF winner with the Cowboys and he didn't lose his 1st team spot due to poor performance like French. He was out with a knee injury for nearly a year and when he was fit enough to return the Cowboys had already got a replacement in and had a good junior coming through 

So he was playing reserve grade for an underperforming club.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So he was playing reserve grade for an underperforming club.

You can keep spinning it however you like but you've still just signed a guy who was dropped from a poorly performing team because of his own pi$$ poor performances

12 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

You can keep spinning it however you like but you've still just signed a guy who was dropped from a poorly performing team because of his own pi$$ poor performances

Not spinning anything,Coote couldn't force his way into a poorly performing team because he wasn't playing well enough,he's turned out a great signing,so I unlike you will wait and see how he performs before  criticising his signing.

3 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Not spinning anything,Coote couldn't force his way into a poorly performing team because he wasn't playing well enough,

He wasn't dropped for poor performance like French, he only lost his place in the team after having major knee surgery and being out of the game for nearly a year. When he was finally given the all clear to start playing again he never got a run of games to get his fitness back.

52 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

He wasn't dropped for poor performance like French, he only lost his place in the team after having major knee surgery and being out of the game for nearly a year. When he was finally given the all clear to start playing again he never got a run of games to get his fitness back.

I am struggling to see the point - both were playing in the reserves and thus unable to force their way into the first teams of less than stellar teams. In any case, French is a nice to have after thought squad player as opposed to first choice full back. If the argument is that Coote seems to be a better player, then I must say I agree with that. For such a plodder, he is very effective indeed, whereas French has a much slimmer body of work to date. 

On 29/07/2019 at 12:52, Saint Toppy said:

bullock has been our best prop this year by a mile,and hastings from what i have seen has been excellent and probably winning MoS will prove that, how saints go without coote and thompson and their coach next season will be a huge laugh for all wiganers.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

On 29/07/2019 at 09:31, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Its a genuine query

No, it wasn't.

my concern would be if gb cant hold on to the ball in nrl conditions what will happen in feb -march and general greasy uk conditions?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

my concern would be if gb cant hold on to the ball in nrl conditions what will happen in feb -march and general greasy uk conditions?

George Burgess played 27 games last season for Souths and made 9 errors. Do you consider this unable to hold the ball?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It's quite funny all the comments around handling, considering The amount of handling errors that occur in SL.

Personally, I'm already really looking forward to seeing big George match up against big Alex in the Wigan/saints derbies.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

I think George Burgess should be serving at least a worldwide 12-year ban from the sport with a another 12 months suspended. 

Eye gouging is about the worst thing any rugby player can do to another player. To be a repeat offender is unforgiveable. 

Wow a 12yr ban,a touch harsh,not sure the other 12 month suspended would ne needed mind.

I used to run on the pitch at the end of a game to get neil hauges tie ups,  times have changed , from next season enter your bar code in to an app to get liam watts safety goggles , terms and conditions apply.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 29/07/2019 at 12:52, Saint Toppy said:

I love your balanced view sir

Archived