RLWC 2021 investments

Some really interesting projects on there. Particularly the Wigan tie-in with the Blackburn/Bolton/Chorley area (given the work with Blackburn Rovers on the other thread), and the London Youth Games Foundation which is running an RL event across 33 boroughs in the capital.

Looking forward to seeing more about these and the bigger projects when they're announced.

Totally in favour of improving pitches,facilities,changing rooms,floodlights  etc but very wary of providing 'kit and equipment'. In my experience,two years down the line one has absolutely nothing to show for it. In my language its called a wasting asset.

2 hours ago, cookey said:

Totally in favour of improving pitches,facilities,changing rooms,floodlights  etc but very wary of providing 'kit and equipment'. In my experience,two years down the line one has absolutely nothing to show for it. In my language its called a wasting asset.

I do agree with this. Investing in proper assets that improve infrastructure and facilities should definitely be the way to go. Lower level RL is crying out for better facilities across the board and this is what the money should be focused on.

• 10 months later...

Next phase of investments

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/56805/latest-createdby-project-grants-take-total-past--million

Drighlington ARLFC (Leeds) - The project will see the club relocate their clubhouse facilities to the nearby Community Library and Hall. The facility will be refurbished so that it can be a multi-purpose community space and the four existing changing rooms will all be refurbished. The project will help to secure the future of the library and community centre, which are valued community amenities as well as providing improved facilities to encourage more people to get involved in rugby league. The project is already underway and is due to be completed next month (June).

Wath Brow Hornets ARLFC (Copeland) – In Cumbria, a purpose built 24m x 20m indoor training facility with an artificial playing surface will be constructed to provide a new space for all their sides and age groups, further protecting their main pitch and providing more opportunities for young players to learn skills in a better environment. The facility will also act as a community exercise and fitness space hosting daily sessions.

Orrell St James ARLFC (Wigan) – A new high-quality club house, brand new changing facilities and two new playing pitches that will accommodate the club's expanding teams and players will change the fortunes of Orrell St James ARLFC. The aim is to boost membership further and encourage more participation from the local community, with emphasis on the growth of its girls and women’s teams.

Westhoughton Lions ARLFC (Bolton) - The Lions will create a new fully accessible clubhouse with new team and official’s changing rooms, male and female toilets and shower rooms, a function room, offices and meeting room as well as a new bar, cellar and kitchen. This will create a community hub for the people of Westhoughton and beyond, providing a wealth of opportunities to improve their physical and mental wellbeing, while encouraging people from all backgrounds to play rugby league.

Dewsbury Moor ARLFC (Kirklees) - The first phase of the project will see the club refurbish and extend the existing changing room pavilion to provide a new bar area, kitchen and dining area, purpose built function room, new toilets, six new changing rooms with shower and toilets (including purpose built female changing rooms). It will also include a gym and additional storage, as well as car park and access improvements to service its existing users and the local community. The second phase will transform the current facilities at the club and provide a bespoke training area.              

• 2 months later...

I'm all in favour for granting money for 'hard' projects,such as floodlights,refurbishment of changing rooms etc but I'm afraid,giving money for kit and equipement,to clubs which barely exist,is like throwing money away. Neither the kit,equipement or indeed the clubs,will exist in five years time.

38 minutes ago, cookey said:

I'm all in favour for granting money for 'hard' projects,such as floodlights,refurbishment of changing rooms etc but I'm afraid,giving money for kit and equipement,to clubs which barely exist,is like throwing money away. Neither the kit,equipement or indeed the clubs,will exist in five years time.

I tend to agree with that I think... 

Investing in hard infrastructure is what the sport is crying out for rather than relying on renting facilities, especially from RU clubs.

Archived