Kangaroos to play GB (not England) next year

I know, I know. It’s Mick Gledhill.

However, can anyone find an official statement by the RFL/NRL/RLIF/ARL (and their officials) who say definitively that the Kangaroos will play England next year?  Can only find reference to a ‘Kangaroo tour of UK/GB’ etc

Me, I’m all for it. Great Britain should never have been tossed away in the first place.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If so what a waste of time building the England brand for 10+ years. Enjoy the nostalgia trip that benifits nobody but Hummel and shirt collectors.

What's the grand plan for England? Pull the brand back out of the trash just in time for the home world cup then disappear again for 4 years?

9 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

If so what a waste of time building the England brand for 10+ years. Enjoy the nostalgia trip that benifits nobody but Hummel and shirt collectors.

What's the grand plan for England? Pull the brand back out of the trash just in time for the home world cup then disappear again for 4 years?

The England brand sucks though. People aren’t really into it.

I’d argue the Great Britain brand is still stronger than England even though it has been moribund for 12 years.

Something's got a bit tricky in rugby league so we better entirely change direction.

Always the way.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d argue the Great Britain brand is still stronger than England even though it has been moribund for 12 years.

What are you basing that on?

I'm assuming not attendances given...

2007 series vs NZ (last as GB) - 16,500 / 20,300 / 21,200

2017 series vs NZ (last as England) - 17,600 / 26,200 / 32,200

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Have you got any sort of evidence to back that up though? Not saying you're wrong but that seems a very debatable subject.

England seemed to be doing well, getting some big crowds, not like interest plummeted when they made the switch. Were things really any better as GB&I or is it just a classic case of people remembering things being better than they actually were?

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Something's got a bit tricky in rugby league so we better entirely change direction.

Always the way.

What actually got tricky though? Nigel Wood missing the touch of blue on the shirt?

24 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

"Team GB" was always good enough for the Olympics. 

However... just how reliable is this story?

Plus ... The whole thing is complicated by the "British Isles" and just why should we bring in Ireland just to ape RU.

Our real name is UNITED KINGDOM  of course. "Kingdom" has a certain cache.  Although I always think the French way sounds classy,  "Royaume-Uni".   But leaving all that aside, the general name for our country is Britain and I do not see why we cannot just have it and support it from all sides. 

17 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Have you got any sort of evidence to back that up though? Not saying you're wrong but that seems a very debatable subject.

England seemed to be doing well, getting some big crowds, not like interest plummeted when they made the switch. Were things really any better as GB&I or is it just a classic case of people remembering things being better than they actually were?

I’m talking specifically about the brand which you brought up, not crowds and results.

The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the GB jersey would never be replicated by a new England top. The Lions tickle spots in the rugby league fan that England doesn’t reach.

17 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

What actually got tricky though? Nigel Wood missing the touch of blue on the shirt?

Pretty much nothing but it's got a bit fiddly now that the nostalgics got their way for a tour … so rather than think too hard about how to run domestic national sides alongside a Great Britain team, it's just easier to make the England tests 'Great Britain' ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’m talking specifically about the brand which you brought up, not crowds and results.

The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the GB jersey would never be replicated by a new England top. The Lions tickle spots in the rugby league fan that England doesn’t reach.

Nostalgia over common sense.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the GB jersey would never be replicated by a new England top.

I also like New York Cosmos shirts. It doesn't mean I think the future of US sport is the NASL.

Watching GB was part of my RL upbringing, and it made perfect sense back then, but makes no sense now. The England brand is much stronger (albeit with a terrible crest).

GB is pure nostalgia.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Really, how do you explain these? 

England v Australia Elland Road

England v Australia Wembley Stadium 42,344

England v Australia Millennium Stadium 45,052

England v New Zealand Wembley Stadium 67,545

England v New Zealand London Olympic Stadium 44,393

England v Scotland Coventry Ricoh Stadium 21,009

England v Australia London Olympic Stadium 35,569

England v New Zealand, Elland Road 32,186

It would be unbelievable if England don't play Australia next year. Especially so the year before that little thing called a World Cup. A World Cup where we will compete as England and which is entirely in England. If England have no fixtures next year then it would also be 3 years since their last by the time of the World Cup. No building momentum or publicity for the tournament or trying to attract people to future England matches. Jesus wept.

6 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

GB is a better brand than England. What is England’s identity? 

This is nonsense. Easily the most popular sport in this country uses the England brand. As does Cricket, as does RU. It is a brand identifiable to millions. Many youngsters, and even those up to their mid 20s have very little or no awareness of GB in Rugby League.

If we want the 'brand' to appeal to nostalgic Rugby League fans then go with Great Britain. 

If we want the Ashes series to reach a wider audience and raise the profile of the sport for a welcome period then go with England.

I know where my vote goes.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

If we want the 'brand' to appeal to nostalgic Rugby League fans then go with Great Britain. 

If we want the Ashes series to reach a wider audience and raise the profile of the sport for a welcome period then go with England.

I know where my vote goes.

How would the Ashes reach a wider audience as England than Great Britain? 

Archived