Kangaroos to play GB (not England) next year

If this is true it's quite frankly the dumbest decision in a long line of dumb decisions made by Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer. I'm almost done watching and supporting a sport which is run by people that couldn't run a car boot sale. Sick of it. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Makes me smile when rebranding GB as England is portrayed to be progressive when it is the opposite and was borne out of a short-termist funding issue.

Or because playing as England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales was deemed better for developing the game in those countries and the fact that we had already been playing as these countries for a decade in World Cups. It made perfect sense at the time and still does.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Or because playing as England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales was deemed better for developing the game in those countries and the fact that we had already been playing as these countries for a decade in World Cups. It made perfect sense at the time and still does.

That’s the stuff

18 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

If this is true it's quite frankly the dumbest decision in a long line of dumb decisions made by Nigel Wood and Ralph Rimmer. I'm almost done watching and supporting a sport which is run by people that couldn't run a car boot sale. Sick of it. 

Don’t abandon the sport. The sport isn’t the problem.

rldfsignature.jpg

It could work if England, Scotland and Wales play tests against each other next year either mid season or prior to the Ashes. That way their brands are still visible and GB is seen as the next step in a players rep career. It may also help keep any strong Welsh players away from union.

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I know, I know. It’s Mick Gledhill.

However, can anyone find an official statement by the RFL/NRL/RLIF/ARL (and their officials) who say definitively that the Kangaroos will play England next year?  Can only find reference to a ‘Kangaroo tour of UK/GB’ etc

Me, I’m all for it. Great Britain should never have been tossed away in the first place.

https://www.rugby-league.com/england/article/53987/rimmer-relishing-prospect-of--kangaroo-tour

The Rugby Football League have welcomed the outcomes of this week’s International Federation meeting, which involve England playing a home series against Australia in 2020, and a Great Britain tour to the southern hemisphere next Autumn.

the very first paragraph...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Makes me smile when rebranding GB as England is portrayed to be progressive when it is the opposite and was borne out of a short-termist funding issue.

And stop peddling the myth that GB was disbanded cos of sport England funding..IT WASNT..

sport England came out at the time and said it didn't matter if we played as GB or England as either team would be seen as the principle national team and funded accordingly...the last GB shirt had a bloody sport England logo on it ffs

OLDHAM RLFC

4 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

And stop peddling the myth that GB was disbanded cos of sport England funding..IT WASNT..

sport England came out at the time and said it didn't matter if we played as GB or England as either team would be seen as the principle national team and funded accordingly...the last GB shirt had a bloody sport England logo on it ffs

"I think the decision had more to do with funding.

"Sport England was a big provider of a lot of financial assistance in the sport at that point in time.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-league/tony-smith-great-britain-lions-kangaroos-tours-a7726896.html

No disrespect intended but I value the view of the GB coach at the time more than yours. 

28 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No disrespect intended but I value the view of the GB coach 

Why?

Are coaches and players usually involved in organisational funding discussions?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm all for GB v Aus, but let's make a proper effort to reach out to the Welsh and Scots too this time. One match should be at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

Wales in particular have players that people will remember representing GB - Jonathan Davies, Scott Gibbs, Phil Ford, etc. Get them on the promotional material and doing interviews and the like in the build up. Get them on the pitch pre-match too.

And play Wales v Scotland the night before in Cardiff too, so that you're making a weekend of RL.

If funding was the issue why revert back to GB when sport England and the government (capital grants) are pumping money into English RL for the world cup in 2021..

Funding was never the issue,not for England anyway..if anything splitting up GB helped the Celtic nations access funding from their national sporting bodies

OLDHAM RLFC

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

And play Wales v Scotland the night before in Cardiff too, so that you're making a weekend of RL.

So Wales and Scotland should play an international the day before without their best players who will be turning out for GB?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I value the opinion of Tony Smith over some bloke with an England neck tattoo for an avatar, yep.

He says he thinks. He doesn't know. And nothing in the article says otherwise.

Stop reaching and come back with facts.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

So Wales and Scotland should play an international the day before without their best players who will be turning out for GB?

Absolutely. Right now that would result in both sides missing who exactly? I doubt either side would be decimated by all the players in the GB squad.

Whereas the benefit would be that young Welsh and Scottish players would see that if they reach a certain standard they can play for Wales and Scotland, and if they develop even further, they can play for GB on the biggest stage.

Playing matches at the same time might not be perfect, but it's no different to how in rugby union the individual nations tour at the same time as them losing some of their best players to the British and Irish Lions.

7 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Absolutely. Right now that would result in both sides missing who exactly? I doubt either side would be decimated by all the players in the GB squad.

Whereas the benefit would be that young Welsh and Scottish players would see that if they reach a certain standard they can play for Wales and Scotland, and if they develop even further, they can play for GB on the biggest stage.

Playing matches at the same time might not be perfect, but it's no different to how in rugby union the individual nations tour at the same time as them losing some of their best players to the British and Irish Lions.

And those tours are seen as minor and uninteresting.

Your brilliant plan would make it clear to Welsh fans that their national team is an undercard for GB, not a part of it.

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

The England brand sucks though. People aren’t really into it.

I’d argue the Great Britain brand is still stronger than England even though it has been moribund for 12 years.

That's the way it feels to me as well. Just to say, Owain Glyndwr's flag was 4 lions, i've been told that the Lion was part of Wales too, obviously that's been pushed to one side in order to try and distinguish Cymru from England. But as i've said before, the Welsh are the true Brits. Also would like to see red socks for the Greater Britain Lions side. No green and no Irish.    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owain_Glynd%C5%B5r#/media/File:Glyndwr's_Banner.svg    

27 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm all for GB v Aus, but let's make a proper effort to reach out to the Welsh and Scots too this time. One match should be at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff.

Wales in particular have players that people will remember representing GB - Jonathan Davies, Scott Gibbs, Phil Ford, etc. Get them on the promotional material and doing interviews and the like in the build up. Get them on the pitch pre-match too.

Uh? That won't go down well with me. No no no no no, Lions for everything or not at all. No Wales RL then. 

Archived