Anyone else too hot to sleep?

8 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

29oC on the house thermostat.... Ridiculous

As per the other thread I am feeling mafted

Turn the thermostat down then.

Sorted

happy to be of service

31.7 in my bedroom despite fans.  Have tried windows open but that just puts the temperature up.  Instructed youngest I will be dead by morning and my wishes to be cremated, songs to play at funeral etc.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

Try vodka.

It worked for me on an overnight sleeper train in Ukraine where the windows wouldn't open and the cabin temperature was 30 degrees. 

I did fall off the train during one of the stops though. All I wanted was a breath of fresh air and I ended up kissing the platform Pope John Paul II stylee. ?

9 hours ago, ckn said:

We have three fans going, including one directly on me, and it helps. Just.

Don't they just move the hot air around a bit?

We were lucky enough to have a bit of a thunderstorm yesterday evening which seemed to clear the air and so managed a decent night's sleep last night for the first time in 3 days.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

We were lucky enough to have a bit of a thunderstorm yesterday evening which seemed to clear the air and so managed a decent night's sleep last night for the first time in 3 days.

Not if they’re about 6-12” away and directly on you, very cooling and I slept well last night despite the excessive humidity.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

No, I love the warmth. Maybe it's your North genes that turn you against warm temperatures, I have lived down South for 30 + years, so maybe I have become accustomed to warm weather, not raining all day, fog, and thunderstorms.

Salford.... If you can see the Pennines it's going to rain, if you can't see them it already is.

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

Wind chill.  Moving air blows away the boundary of warm and humid air close to the skin. Evaporative cooling then comes into play.

Rained in Boston yesterday for all of 30 seconds. 

36 C in Lincoln at 1 pM. 

If too hot at night, take the duvet out of its cover and sleep under just the cover.

If the sun shines on your windows, close the curtains and blinds.

If it's warmer inside than out, open the doors and windows and deploy the fans.

If it's warmer outside than in, shut the doors and windows and deploy the fans.

12 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Apparently sleeping with a fan on is bad for your health . It’s far better to swelter to death or melt 

Don't point it directly at you. Just use it to move the air around. That slight air motion will have an effect.

Or sleep in the bath, with the cold tap on. ? 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Wind chill.  Moving air blows away the boundary of warm and humid air close to the skin. Evaporative cooling then comes into play.

Yep, which is why Copa's advice works.

37C for us yesterday, but it's the humidity that makes it so unpleasant. Still managed to get a reasonable amount of gardening done, but mostly in the shade and plenty of drinks breaks.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Rained in Boston yesterday for all of 30 seconds. 

36 C in Lincoln at 1 pM. 

If too hot at night, take the duvet out of its cover and sleep under just the cover.

If the sun shines on your windows, close the curtains and blinds.

If it's warmer inside than out, open the doors and windows and deploy the fans.

If it's warmer outside than in, shut the doors and windows and deploy the fans.

I remember when our eldest was a baby we bought a mobile air con unit for her bedroom.... Was bliss to go in there.... Threw it out unfortunately as its too big to store... Might get another one if we have any more horrid heat spells

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I'm not too bad, feathers have puffed up a bit from the humidity, been for a walk down West Park today, just had to keep flapping to get a breeze going under my pits. 

goose9.png

Fine for you water foul.... You can just go in the lake to cool off.... Last time I did that was 1995, I was drunk and my university fined me

Archived