Generational divide Great Britain or England poll

Generational divide Great Britain or England poll  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Should we play internationals as GB or England?

• Great Britain I’m aged 40+
    • England I’m aged 40+
    • Great Britain I’m under 40
    • England I’m under 40

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m  40+ (believe it or not). I don’t see the point of harking back to something we can’t replicate. Any tour down under at the end of the NRL season will be a handful of matches at most. There won’t be six week long jaunts. There won’t be any midweek games against Canberra, Parramatta or Northern Territories. Those days are long gone. We need to get over it.

rldfsignature.jpg

46 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

My view is that the older generation want to bring back Great Britain for nostalgia purposes, whereas the younger generation are used to watching and supporting England and that is where their loyalties lie. I’d like to put this theory to the test in this poll. 

It's a good idea to have a poll, but I suspect there are readers who see a time and place for both England and GB. For example, I would see England as the default setting, with a place for down under GB tours. 

Is there any chance of adding another button, or two, to the poll?

I’m well below 40 and think we should just play as GB and I’ve made this point on here before.

Id rather see 12 Englishmen and one Scotsman play under GB than one Scotsman and 12 Englishmen play under Scotland

Now I’ve no problem with Coote playing for Scotland and Austin for England, If their eligible I’d consider them for GB. But Scotland have 1 Scottish born player.

Id rather see GB play in big sold out Stadiums such as Old Trafford, Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield than see Wales play in Wrexham in front of 4,000 ect

42 minutes ago, Manxmanc said:

It's a good idea to have a poll, but I suspect there are readers who see a time and place for both England and GB. For example, I would see England as the default setting, with a place for down under GB tours. 

Is there any chance of adding another button, or two, to the poll?

I didn’t include the option of both GB and England as we do not play enough games to make it possible. Take this year, GB are to be brought back so England won’t play a single game. It’s one or the other. 

38 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I didn’t include the option of both GB and England as we do not play enough games to make it possible. Take this year, GB are to be brought back so England won’t play a single game. It’s one or the other. 

But it shouldn't be and not playing a single game when compared to the results is telling.

t'd also be nice if just once everyone voted and we got a real sense of mood and preference.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I fear any attempt to move back to GB is pure short-termism aiming to make a quick buck out of nostalgia to the detriment of the England brand which has been built over the last decade. International attendances have been higher since the switch from GB to England and there is no evidence to suggest GB would provide the same over the next decade. 365 people (at the time of writing) re-tweeting the GB shirt launch constitutes evidence of nothing.

At the point where we're supposedly building towards a home World Cup and in a political/social climate where the GB brand is ever diminishing, it seems utterly bizarre to now abandon the relative success of the England team in favour of a re-badged version with odd Scottish/Welsh players included purely to validate it.

3 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

I’m well below 40 and think we should just play as GB and I’ve made this point on here before.

Id rather see 12 Englishmen and one Scotsman play under GB than one Scotsman and 12 Englishmen play under Scotland

Now I’ve no problem with Coote playing for Scotland and Austin for England, If their eligible I’d consider them for GB. But Scotland have 1 Scottish born player.

Id rather see GB play in big sold out Stadiums such as Old Trafford, Millennium Stadium, Murrayfield than see Wales play in Wrexham in front of 4,000 ect

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you on any home GB games being played outside of England.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

My view is that the older generation want to bring back Great Britain for nostalgia purposes, whereas the younger generation are used to watching and supporting England and that is where their loyalties lie. I’d like to put this theory to the test in this poll. 

Personally, I’d like to see less SL games and more internationals.  No real point reinventing the wheel when RU model is there to be considered and bettered.  Home internationals, annual 2 game comp v France, Antipodean tour every 4 years, whatever,.  Get that going and imo theres room for both England and GB.

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Pom- England are playing I'm the world 9s In Australia and GB are playing In NZ and PNG.

You should really read up on upcoming fixtures marra or you may miss out.

Hope that helps.

So England are not really playing then.

It is as disingenuous as saying England played because the U16's had two games last week.

4 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

But that didn't happen pre-England.

They were playing on games at JJB, KC and Galpharm in front of 25k fans.

I'd much rather see England AND the other home nations built up. That's the future. 

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I'm 40 and happy with it being England usually and GB occasionally.  I have nostalgia for GB but it's also a great brand and I love a good vee.  Also I've got Irish, Scottish and English blood and a Welsh wife so I like a bit of British.  There might only be one or two non-English players but that's just where we are.  I would like GB to be regular though; the chopping and changing damages us terribly.  If there was no GB Jonathan Davies wouldn't have scored that try and my life would've been all the worse for it.

5 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

100%.

There is still an authenticity with GB being represented by 12 Englishmen and 1 Scot (it’s 13 Brits at the end of the day), while there is next to none with 12 non Scots/Welsh/Irish and 1 Scot/Welshman/Irishman representing Scotland/Wales/Ireland. It is reflected in audience/viewership interest also. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Pom- England are playing I'm the world 9s In Australia and GB are playing In NZ and PNG.

You should really read up on upcoming fixtures marra or you may miss out.

Hope that helps.

You said from this year, intimating it was an ongoing arrangement. The 9s are irrelevant IMO.

rldfsignature.jpg

15 minutes ago, DC77 said:

100%.

There is still an authenticity with GB being represented by 12 Englishmen and 1 Scot (it’s 13 Brits at the end of the day), while there is next to none with 12 non Scots/Welsh/Irish and 1 Scot/Welshman/Irishman representing Scotland/Wales/Ireland. It is reflected in audience/viewership interest also. 

Might want to do some research and drop Wales out of you last sentence.

18 minutes ago, DC77 said:

100%.

What about 12 Englishmen and an Aussie? Is that OK? Only RL seems to be affected by heritage players. Cricket can fill half a team of foreign players in a national team representing the birthplace of the sport. RU doesn’t seem to be any worse off by including plenty of heritage players, some of them have even represented other nations in other sports. But only RL gets beaten by their own supporters to justify a team that has run it’s course.

rldfsignature.jpg

As I type this the England 60% vote is split exactly between the 40+ and below 40 categories and the Great Britain 40% vote is also split equally.

So no generational divide then!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Surely the point many are not considering in this debate is what the opposition want to see and would they support and attend games to make a Great Britain tour viable.

We will find that out at the end of this season, Australia have already shown their thoughts on the matter.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

Surely the point many are not considering in this debate is what the opposition want to see and would they support and attend games to make a Great Britain tour viable.

We will find that out at the end of this season, Australia have already shown their thoughts on the matter.

I watch loads of old Ashes matches and half the time the Australian commentators are calling Grear Britain England anyway... so I suspect they don't care.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Allora said:

Yeah but the Aussies won't turn up to Not Origin so what's the point in asking them?

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I watch loads of old Ashes matches and half the time the Australian commentators are calling Grear Britain England anyway... so I suspect they don't care.

And aren't interested.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived