Have you played? Just a bit of fun

Play RU, starting in high school,  followed by 7 years now at level 4/5 senior mens in Ontario. Tried RL in 2015 as a way to play more. But my strengths are rucks and lineouts, and had to drive to Toronto for every game and usually had to play for other teams who were short, so I didn't keep going. 

Was rubbish at soccer so glad to get to Doncaster Grammar School at age thirteen where Rugby Union and Hockey were played in winter. So played Rugby, of sorts, for few years.

Then I found my vocation as a spectator of the game..come on you DONS.

Then, having moved, I helped found Redditch Halcyon RLFC, I hadn't intended playing but did. I loved it and despite injuries kept on playing til over thirty.

Then I copped for a nasty injury, and bowed out.

Then three decades later.....

Masters Rugby League ?

Talk about reeling back the years; sprinting, turning, handling the ball, wonderful, but I was knackered and out of breath.

Then the reality hit me that I had been warming up and the match was soon to start........

I didn't start playing until I was 21, then played amateur for about 12 seasons. I had a couple of ups, namely subbing for Fev 2nd team at Boulevard Hull, I got a phone call from Keith Cotton who was coach of Fevs 2nd team at about 12.30 to see if I would like a game, so I went in my car and managed to get about 15 minutes on the wing, even though I was a prop. Then went to Wakefield on trial but I just wasn't good enough. If I could turn the clock back I'd do it all again but at an earlier age.

Wing for a Liverpool amateur team in the early '60s .  Played against the likes of UGB.  Pilkington Recs.   Rainhill Labour,  Ince Miners, Kirby,  Liverpool Hornets,  Kirkham Open Prison.     All played on a pitch in the centre of a vast sea of soccer pitches.  Before each game both teams scrutinised the pitch for half buried broken glass.   No such scrutiny could be observed on the adjacent pitches! Liverpool.

Rugby Union at sale, trials at Salford signed for Trafford, Blackpool and played for Swinton 

Pennine league North west counties, national conference Premier with Saddleworth and Oldham st Annes. Neck is knackered but what a ride

Played for Irlam Town for a season in the early 80’s before playing for Rylands until late 90’s. First games as such for Irlam in a 7’s competition and played against a team from Abaeravon— a bit of a scuffle started and stood facing me was Wire and Welsh legend Mike Nicholas :”Don’t do it boyo “ he said, and I didn’t—- ex Wire Frank Reynolds was also playing. Played in a touch rugby event for charity at the age of 50 a few years ago—- still miss playing but my bones tell me different 

Played two games when I lived in Lancashire.  Mainly soft footballers like myself and a few RU lads trying to play RL.  I've never been so exhausted and I thought I was fit at the time.  I have total respect for anybody who does that every week at any level.

I broke my arm badly early in a third game and that was that.  Doesn't stop me telling anybody who will listen that I averaged a try every two games in Rugby League though!!

Played for leigh colts in the late 70s few A team games for leigh, played amateur at leigh east, woolston rovers and crosfields until 1999. Coached junior rugby at crosfields and a few junior schools in warrington for several years .Now just a supporter and season ticket holder at Warrington. 

Started my 'career' ? in the very early 80s with the advent of the Carlisle league. Played for the Pioneers, so-called because we were the first amateur club in the city for 30 years and formed by me and an old school mate nicknamed Puddy. 

Moved to London and dropped out for a few years before joining the London Civil Service RLC and East London RL. Then helped form South London for whom I played until 2014 at the age of 52. Then a season with Croydon Hurricanes, before retiring to the occasional game of Masters with the Silverbacks.

I was never anything other than an ordinary player, with only a meagre haul of gongs from 35 years of Open Age, but I really do miss playing and training. I have so many happy memories from the game, and a real pride in what I achieved off the pitch in setting up and running clubs.

If there is reincarnation please let me come back somewhere that plays Rugby league. 

I've held a rugby ball probably five times in my entire life. On one of those occasions I found a ball at the local field while out walking the dog. I picked it up and kicked it away aimlessly. I was spotted doing this by a rugby union scout, who immediately tried to sign me up.

amateur level just to experience the playing side, but when the ambulance was spending more time on the pitch than I was I knew it was time for the sidelines

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Played very amateur when a mate turned up with a rugby ball. A younger lad and his brother ended up playing amateur in the Pennine League.

My only other connection to the sport is my uncle.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Keighley Cougars 'A' team and various local amateur sides in Pennine league. Also got picked to go train with the Yorkshire Academy coached at the time by Malcolm Reilly but never made the final squad. I played every position on the park for the Cougars U16's and U18's, different shirt most weeks.

Archived