Why Super League refs are better than NRL refs

Nobody complain about Super League refs after complaints against NRL refs week after week after week about the low quality of NRL refs.

The NZ warriors have been on the end of shocking decisions most weeks this season

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/warriors-boss-calls-on-fans-to-dress-as-referees-in-bizarre-response-to-contentious-loss/news-story/f32dd91ac90bdf2753ce0cf44c68a89b

20 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

They’re most definitely better. The Bunker is the real issue in the NRL, the actual in-play officiating is well ahead of ours. 

I agree with this . In play is much better than last year , the games are flowing in the main . My big bugbear is the accepted mindset across the board there that you go to the bunker endlessly to confirm what you’ve seen , or check things you haven’t seen and know aren’t there . The moment is just lost why we confirm a grounding or check an obstruction they’ve already cleared etc . Four guys should be calling 90% of straightforward decisions . And then you open a can of worms with the bunker looking for something in slow motion or guessing with an obstruction 

The match this morning between Penrith and Canberra was interesting.

A few tight calls (which the commentators all felt were correct after replays) went against Penrith which led to James Maloney having to be warned on the way off at half time to stop disputing all the decisions and Ivan Cleary having a word with the ref at half time - which is not allowed.  Refs did a decent job - they cannot win.

Our refs will be looking forward to Maloney coming over and helping them with the rules.

On a different point - the English players were excellent again.

I have come to the conclusion that the game would be better without the video referee. I know it's never going to revert to not using it but what has it solved, everyone still disputes the decisions, supporters are still as one eyed about the percived injustices handed out to their team, over here we operate a absolute farce of a system where it only operates at certain games and all one teams home games, yet it's supposed to help ensure the correct decision is arrived at!  All it seams to achieve is to take the spontaneity out of the game with lengthy waits to celebrate a try and players milking a injury to try to gain a penalty from the bunker or video ref.

Surprisingly, referres have made mistakes since the game first started and will always do so because, again to some surprisingly, they are human, and by the same token players make even more mistakes, that's why coaches always break down a opponents try to a defensive error by his team, they are striving for perfection but as with refereeing it's unachievable and if everybody accepted that and just got on with it the game would be far better for it.?

On 28/07/2019 at 18:07, The Future is League said:

Nobody complain about Super League refs after complaints against NRL refs week after week after week about the low quality of NRL refs.

The NZ warriors have been on the end of shocking decisions most weeks this season

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/warriors-boss-calls-on-fans-to-dress-as-referees-in-bizarre-response-to-contentious-loss/news-story/f32dd91ac90bdf2753ce0cf44c68a89b

The Warriors scored a try from an obvious knock on against Parramatta

The Warriors are a very undisciplined team that will always get on the wrong side of the penalty count.

They need to have a good look at themselves from top to bottom.

The way they are going in recent years they hold little or know interest for most NRL fans IMO.

They should be contending for top four year in year out, instead they are perennial basket cases.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

7 minutes ago, Allora said:

The Warriors scored a try from an obvious knock on against Parramatta

The Warriors are a very undisciplined team that will always get on the wrong side of the penalty count.

They need to have a good look at themselves from top to bottom.

The way they are going in recent years they hold little or know interest for most NRL fans IMO.

When somebody as knowledgeable about Rugby League as Phil Gould says the 2 ref system isn't working people should take note. 

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

When somebody as knowledgeable about Rugby League as Phil Gould says the 2 ref system isn't working people should take note. 

He is knowledgeable in some ways, very simplistic in other, he is a talking headline and says stuff for effect that often makes no sense

You would be one of his few fans, he is widely derided and disliked in Australia, not for his lack of knowledge but the way he presents the game.

Smug XXXX would sum up many fans thoughts

1 hour ago, goldcoaster said:

Why are they better? (even Aussie media concede English refs are better)

Simple answer, there is only one of them - not two. NRL refs have been dumbed down.

The standard of officiating in both comp's is pretty poor at present,under the present NRL policy of 2 refs if the chuckle brothers Hicks & Child's were put together you'd struggle to see a game of rugby break out.

12 minutes ago, Allora said:

He is knowledgeable in some ways, very simplistic in other, he is a talking headline and says stuff for effect that often makes no sense

You would be one of his few fans, he is widely derided and disliked in Australia, not for his lack of knowledge but the way he presents the game.

Smug XXXX would sum up many fans thoughts

Read and weep

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/annesley-to-face-grilling-over-refs-after-weekend-of-disputed-calls-20190729-p52bmu.html

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-made-bold-call-to-drop-officials-following-warriors-v-eels-game/news-story/e6dc68b5c56c28550ec8b209159c93bc

5 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

I am not reading and weeping anything I watched the game.
The Warriors are a victim of the way they play the game.

You keep listening to that Bullfrog Gus Gould.

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

I agree with this . In play is much better than last year , the games are flowing in the main . My big bugbear is the accepted mindset across the board there that you go to the bunker endlessly to confirm what you’ve seen , or check things you haven’t seen and know aren’t there . The moment is just lost why we confirm a grounding or check an obstruction they’ve already cleared etc . Four guys should be calling 90% of straightforward decisions . And then you open a can of worms with the bunker looking for something in slow motion or guessing with an obstruction 

Yes, slow motion. I watch a bit of NRL and I can accept the Refs making the wrong decisions at speed but when the issue is poured over by the Bunker and they still make mistakes, that is wholly unacceptable.

Some of our Refs refer to the VR virtually every time.  Without the VR they make the decision but seem to have very little collaboration with the TJs.  I would like to see more of that and that is where the NRL is better than SL.

In fairness, I don’t know of a sport that claims to have good referees. 

In Football, they’re scrutinised for absolute everything, right or wrong, in RL, they’re given a hard time and if you were to believe some sections of the New Orleans Saints fanbase, they believe referees fixed a game at the end of their last season. 

Sports fans are generally biased and only see decisions from one point of view and referees get the brunt of their angst whether rightly or wrongly. 

On 28/07/2019 at 09:07, The Future is League said:

Remember this TFIL, the AFL have three field umpires (referees) and yet they also manage to screw things up big time.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Archived