Fortnite - "World Cup".... A rant

I absolutely and thoroughly hate everything about this

When I am king I will limit every person to 20 minutes of computer game playing a day - dependant on them completing a 1 hour rugby league skills or conditioning session first (alternately). Same for anything else like it, eg. drone racing

Dont anyone even try and defend it by the way

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49141738

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Friday night, my mate and I, with a combined age of 100 played 8 hours of Grand Theft Auto 5 while having a good gossip at the same time. 

About every second week we do the same, GTA5 is just the latest game. Before that we had 7 Days To Die (zombie survival), Hearts of Iron (WW2 strategy), Lord of the Rings (online multiplayer) and so on. 

Nowt wrong with that. And nowt wrong with kids good enough to make money from it doing so. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

Hating other people for what they enjoy doing is what rugby union tried to do to Rugby League for 100 years+.

Do not try and defend something that encourages children to sit still by themselves for hours and hours on end

We should all hate this and discourage it in the same way we discourage and hate children smoking or taking drugs

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

On Friday night, my mate and I, with a combined age of 100 played 8 hours of Grand Theft Auto 5 while having a good gossip at the same time. 

About every second week we do the same, GTA5 is just the latest game. Before that we had 7 Days To Die (zombie survival), Hearts of Iron (WW2 strategy), Lord of the Rings (online multiplayer) and so on. 

Nowt wrong with that. And nowt wrong with kids good enough to make money from it doing so. 

Three of us sat and played GTA V on Friday night too after it was picked up for £13 in a sale on the PS4.

Just our generation’s super fancy version of cards, pool or darts in my opinion.

My biggest gripe with modern gaming is the micro transactions within which is an issue for parenting.

34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I absolutely and thoroughly hate everything about this

When I am king I will limit every person to 20 minutes of computer game playing a day - dependant on them completing a 1 hour rugby league skills or conditioning session first (alternately). Same for anything else like it, eg. drone racing

Dont anyone even try and defend it by the way

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49141738

If I might translate this into English

Like When I am like king I will like limit every like person to like 20 minutes of like computer game playing a day - like dependant on them like completing a like  1 hour rugby league skills or like conditioning session first (like alternately).

The kid might have won a million dollars but he was barely literate and his mangled pronunciation was a disgrace.

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Like When I am like king I will like limit every like person to like 20 minutes of like computer game playing a day - like dependant on them like completing a like  1 hour rugby league skills or like conditioning session first (like alternately).

The kid might have won a million dollars but he was barely literate and his mangled pronunciation was a disgrace.

The result of one child winning a million dollars doing this? 

Inspiring millions more children to sit still for hours by themselves (playing games)

Exactly how many will make a 'career' out of that? 

How many more will have increased risk of obesity / poor mental health / poor fitness / poor social awareness / poor academic performance? 

Compare this to the smile on a kids face after a rugby / soccer / netball / hockey training session with his team mates

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

No. He's a 15 year old boy who's just won £1m. He was fully literate and fully understandable; except perhaps to those who want to discharge their envy and their hate onto the kid because that's what they do first and best.

Nonsense. Glad that a 15 year old has won a million.. We'll done him.  Fully literate though? Fully understandable? More nonsense.  

Envy? No. I'm happy with my life despite recent setbacks,  I neither need nor want his million. 

Hate? You had better not be accusing me of hating him.

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Nonsense. Glad that a 15 year old has won a million.. We'll done him.  Fully literate though? Fully understandable? More nonsense.   

Envy? No. I'm happy with my life despite recent setbacks,  I neither need nor want his million.  

Hate? You had better not be accusing me of hating him. 

Your first reaction to a 15 year old was to judge him for the way he sounded and proclaim it "a disgrace". Even had he been anything other than clear and interesting those actions would speak enough about you.

Given he was none of the things you projected, it reveals/confirms more about you than him.

There was a segment on our local news about this.  They spoke to a mum and her son who were going to compete in this competition.  The mum said she had taken her son out of school and now home schooled him so he could spend more time on the computer playing Fortnite and honing his skills for these types of competitions.  Not sure if it's the young lad being spoken about above or someone different.

It is a bit of a worry how quickly JohnM's generation are to sneer at teenagers who dare show up on the telly. See Neil Hamilton and Greta Thunberg.

I find people who want to spend hours on end playing video games a bit weird. But then they would be appalled by how much time I spend on a boring old rugby league fans forum. I wish I had thought of a way to monetise it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I like computer games.  Playing online can be sociable and I know a lot of people that do it.  It is very entertaining. 

My son plays online games with his friends.  Some of them are from the local football team who he plays for.  They get plenty of exercise and seem generally healthy.

As with watching TV, drinking pop, eating crisps, red meat, drinking beer etc etc it is fine if done as part of a balanced life and not 24/7 when it would be a problem.

Well done to this lad.  He has a skill and has made a lot of money for himself and his family.  Not really sure how judging people for doing something that doesn't hurt anybody is going to restore society to it's previous golden era?  Is it really that different to being on mobile phones or the internet.....

31 minutes ago, Rawschach said:

I like computer games.  Playing online can be sociable and I know a lot of people that do it.  It is very entertaining. 

My son plays online games with his friends.  Some of them are from the local football team who he plays for.  They get plenty of exercise and seem generally healthy.

As with watching TV, drinking pop, eating crisps, red meat, drinking beer etc etc it is fine if done as part of a balanced life and not 24/7 when it would be a problem.

Well done to this lad.  He has a skill and has made a lot of money for himself and his family.  Not really sure how judging people for doing something that doesn't hurt anybody is going to restore society to it's previous golden era?  Is it really that different to being on mobile phones or the internet.....

I met a guy I didn’t know on Eve Online in 2007 and we ended up doing real life work together that netted me a good bit of money. He needed a good project manager and I’d proven in the game I could organise one hell of a lot!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Do not try and defend something that encourages children to sit still by themselves for hours and hours on end

Yes.   

Thats why I’ve banned my kids from reading books.  

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

We are brought to this forum by a common love of a contrived argument about where a bag of air should be on a field. 

I suggest a little self-awareness. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

44 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

We are brought to this forum by a common love of a contrived argument about where a bag of air should be on a field. 

I suggest a little self-awareness. 

On the field? In the commentary box, more like it...

Everything in moderation.

I have no problem with a Fortnite World Cup. At the same time, it's up to parents to make sure that their children are getting a balance of activities, and that other equally or more important things aren't neglected.

As someone has already said, only a few kids/people will ever make lots of money out of these things. The vast majority will never achieve fame or fortune, irrespective of how many hours they practice. It's important that kids understand this reality.

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

We should all hate this and discourage it in the same way we discourage and hate children smoking or taking drugs

My lad plays Fortnite, and a couple of other games, a lot.

When he does so, he is usually chatting away to friends from school. Boys and girls. 3 to 6 of them at a time.

Today, we went for lunch at a friend's. Both Tiny and Little Ginger were on their devices a lot of the time. With the boys from the house we were visiting. Four of them. Playing together.

You can hate and discourage it all you want. But you're wrong.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

It is a bit of a worry how quickly JohnM's generation are to sneer at teenagers who dare show up on the telly. See Neil Hamilton and Greta Thunberg.

I find people who want to spend hours on end playing video games a bit weird. But then they would be appalled by how much time I spend on a boring old rugby league fans forum. I wish I had thought of a way to monetise it.

its a bit worrying how some people are able to read something and get the wrong end of the stick. I trust these people are not in any position where they deploy that "skill".

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

We should also ban reading. The theatre, cinema, watching sport etc.

What arrogant backwards nonsense.

It's always a pleasure when people sitting alone at a keyboard (or tapping their phone) get angry that other people spend too much time on computers.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived