Fortnite - "World Cup".... A rant

9 minutes ago, JohnM said:

its a bit worrying how some people are able to read something and get the wrong end of the stick. I trust these people are not in any position where they deploy that "skill".

Perhaps you need to express yourself more clearly. There are, after all, no excuses for being barely literate.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seneca the Elder, 1st Century AD -

Our young men have growth slothful. Their talents are left idle, and there is not a single honorable occupation for which they will toil night and day.

I am young enough to remember playing computer games and it being very social. I understand not everyone does and the technology can be alienating. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I am young enough to remember playing computer games and it being very social.

It is even more so nowadays. I grew up playing Amiga and Super Nintendo and that normally involved playing alone or with maybe one or two others, often having to take turns.

Nowadays, as Gingerjon said, the kids can talk and play online with all their friends. I think it's brilliant. It's just up to parents to monitor usage and make sure that the kids are doing other things too.

My lad plays a fair amount of online games, Fortnite, Rainbow Six series all that kind of stuff.  I don’t tell him this but I think it’s cool AF that he and usually 5 other kids from all over North America (and further afield occasionally) can collaborate on complex problems in real time and solve them.  The old rebel in me finds that so satisfying to be so potentially threatening to the powers that be.

What was the duration of the Fortnite world Cup? ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

The world has changed. Some of us (I include myself somewhat) have failed to change with it.

Late in his life, my old man said to me, "I don't belong here any more." He didn't mean in that house or that town or even that country. He meant in this world. The world had changed and he felt left behind, unable to fully comprehend the new reality.

While I am dubious about Fortnite and the like, some of us need to accept that it is no longer 1969.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, gazza77 said:

What was the duration of the Fortnite world Cup? ?

And what was their crowd? Probably reduced by letting some Canadians and French in despite them having no history in the thing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

23 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I am young enough to remember playing computer games and it being very social. I understand not everyone does and the technology can be alienating. 

I can remember when we built computers out of placticine and lego so we could play computer games.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Good luck to them, there are plenty of rich people round the world who just kick a round ball around for 90 mins a week after all

Some even do less than that.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

And what was their crowd? Probably reduced by letting some Canadians and French in despite them having no history in the thing.

Free seats ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have mixed feelings about it. It appears to me that we're just seeing a 21st century version of something that happened in the late 19th/early 20th century with the explosion of organised sport. I'm sure to many at the time, it seemed equally bizarre how mostly grown men got so wound up about what is a game. I'm sure many thought it childish.

However, I have reservations that go further than it being a generational thing although this is part of it. For instance, I suspect over time we'll see a decline in non electronic forms of entertainment. This includes sport, reading and music played with instruments etc. This was already inevitable before the Fortnite WC.

I also think it's naive to think it isn't going to have negative effects on society. I work with children and in my opinion you can usually spot gamers a mile off. The fact that you can now make millions playing them will make it much more difficult for parents (and teachers) to get them to think other things are important. The element of it being a non-productive use of time has been much reduced.

It wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we had strong parents who could ensure children get a balance, but in my experience they are in the minority. 

1 hour ago, Maximus Decimus said:

There is of course adult Lego, but it's not cheap.

There are many adult games. Some are very enjoyable. However, they all have 'consequences'.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On 29/07/2019 at 03:57, M j M said:

Seneca the Elder, 1st Century AD -

Our young men have growth slothful. Their talents are left idle, and there is not a single honorable occupation for which they will toil night and day.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest. 1895 -

Lady Bracknell. [Pencil and note-book in hand.] I feel bound to tell you that you are not down on my list of eligible young men, although I have the same list as the dear Duchess of Bolton has. We work together, in fact. However, I am quite ready to enter your name, should your answers be what a really affectionate mother requires. Do you smoke?

Jack. Well, yes, I must admit I smoke.

Lady Bracknell. I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind. There are far too many idle men in London as it is.

My initial reaction to this was similar to the OP's but with all these kinds of things you have to just stop and look at it in a more open-minded way. 

Electronic devices are simply evolving hobbies and past times that already exist. While I hate kindles and think they are the spawn of Satan, they are just electronic books and video games are just the modern day equivalent of monopoly or scrabble or whatever. Throughout history there has been advancements in technology that people have had their reservations about but those things have survived and now we take them for granted. 

I think its okay to hate the idea of a video game world cup, just as its okay to hate the idea of a rugby union World Cup but its important to understand that the people taking part in these things are just a product of their generation. I have scrabble, they have this fortnite thingy, same thing, different generation. 

Let's not be under any illusions, I hate everything about this and think they could make better use of their time discovering girls and sunlight but that's just my personal opinion, I do not begrudge the people that have organised it or the people that have taken part. There is clearly a massive appetite for this and a lot of people are making a decent living being professional gamers so good on them for getting out their and doing something. Even if getting out there actually means staying in their mum's basement for the rest of their lives. 

9 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

There are many adult games. Some are very enjoyable. However, they all have 'consequences'.

Just make sure everyone knows the safe word.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

image.png

His achievement is greater.

Tennis and golf are still rather elitist, Fortnite is egalatarian in contrast.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived