Fortnite - "World Cup".... A rant

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Was there this much anger against Jet Set Willy or Daley Thompson's Decathlon?

There was plenty of scare mongering about them. The anger is only because people see a normal ordinary teenager make more money than they ever will

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There was by my parents as I had to hook up the Spectrum to the TV to play.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Decathlon marked the passing of many an ill made joystick thanks to the constant waggling that was required iirc!

I always preferred the keyboard, but with the rubber keys it was a nightmare. The odd time the key would get stuck into the system and would cause no end of rage.

Maybe it should have had a health warning to be honest...

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Decathlon marked the passing of many an ill made joystick thanks to the constant waggling that was required iirc!

And many worried parents probably thinking about their teenage son “it’ll come off in his hands if he doesn’t give it a break”.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

5 hours ago, Dave T said:

Nobody ever did a review of Daley Thompson’s Decathlon as you lost the use of your hands for at least a week after playing it. 

On 28/07/2019 at 12:58, Just Browny said:

It is a bit of a worry how quickly JohnM's generation are to sneer at teenagers who dare show up on the telly. See Neil Hamilton and Greta Thunberg.

I find people who want to spend hours on end playing video games a bit weird. But then they would be appalled by how much time I spend on a boring old rugby league fans forum. I wish I had thought of a way to monetise it.

If I may clarify my comments so as to prevent further misunderstanding:  Nowhere was I critical of computer games or gamers in general. I am though a supporter of literacy in youth. 

My generation? What would that be? Mine? My first job was aged 16 in 1962 when I joined the emerging computer industry as an engineer at what was eventually to become ICL. I worked continuosly in a number of computer companies in one guise or another until my retirement aged 70. You want a list? 

19 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Nobody ever did a review of Daley Thompson’s Decathlon as you lost the use of your hands for at least a week after playing it. 

My little sister is an abolutely tiny thing, but destroyed joysticks in days.

I remember a type of joystick that was designed to be as indestructable as possible, yet it only lasted a week. She had to make to with q,a,o,p and [space].

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

My little sister is an abolutely tiny thing, but destroyed joysticks in days.

I remember a type of joystick that was designed to be as indestructable as possible, yet it only lasted a week. She had to make to with q,a,o,p and [space].

Kempston Quickshot II?

Or did that come later I can’t remember?

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Kempston Quickshot II?

Or did that come later I can’t remember?

Don't think so.

This was with a CPC 464.

Archived