Thunder signings rumours

QLT, Kieran Gill and Bob Beswick to Newcastle next season is the word at the moment...according to League Weekly.

Seriously good signings if true. Shows they are uber serious about gaining promotion or staying in the Championship next year.

9 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

They must be very confident of promotion. Surely those players won’t join if Thunder are still in League 1 next season? 

Maybe, maybe not. Gill is on loan anyway. QLT and Beswick are both mid -30s. So. Able  to still do a decent job in Championship, or wind down being outstanding in a team at the top of League 1.

45 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I wonder if they’re aware, perhaps, of something not currently in the public domain? 

Some secret deal or conspiracy perhaps? Just what the TGG world needs a new we;ve been stitched up theory!

We haven't had one of them in minutes..

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

10 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

They must be very confident of promotion. Surely those players won’t join if Thunder are still in League 1 next season? 

To be fair at the end of last season they signed Keal Carlile, Alex Rowe, Misi Taulapapa, Liam Finn etc all of whom could have been expected to sign for decent Championship clubs

10 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

If the money is right they will,Beswick has already done it before.

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hopefully Newcastle can gain promotion, they are doing tremendous work on and off the field. Reserve team, under 19’s academy, increasing participation at grassroots, increasing attendances. They are a club on the up and long may it continue. 

If you are wondering what is at the root of their healthy glow, its the near 30 years of grassroots development work started by Mick Hogan. They have slowly grown the community game (and continue to do so) from day one.

I'm staggered that most still believe you can ''sell'' the game to people who have never heard of it, in areas where no-one has ever played it before.

It's embarrassingly naive to argue for expansion without doing a lot of work to seed the ground, grow the participant player and fan base, forming new school, college and amateur clubs, year on year developing along with them a RL loving culture, gathering sponsors and business backers as we go, until the locality can provide all the resources the ''pro'' team will need to draw on.

That's how it's done and there's no such thing my friends, as a short cut.

According to LE QLT is joining for the remainder of this season.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hopefully Newcastle can gain promotion, they are doing tremendous work on and off the field. Reserve team, under 19’s academy, increasing participation at grassroots, increasing attendances. They are a club on the up and long may it continue. 

They have applied,this month,to join the reserve league.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Really hope Thunder can get promoted to the Championship,currently second.

I'd like all clubs to prosper but surely most neutral fans understand that Newcastle offer more to the Championship than many traditional clubs who have stagnated in the past 30 yrs.

7 hours ago, cookey said:

Really hope Thunder can get promoted to the Championship,currently second.

I'd like all clubs to prosper but surely most neutral fans understand that Newcastle offer more to the Championship than many traditional clubs who have stagnated in the past 30 yrs.

They certainly have the potential to be competitive around the mid-table to lower should they get up. Should they do that with a reserve side, and the aforementioned Academy set up, then they have the ability to push on. 

There really is not much competition up here. Pretty much every school has an RU side. Comprehensives. But, there is nowt below Falcons, who themselves are now Championship. Next best are Tynedale, who play in the fourth tier in a village population 3 000. If you don't make Falcons it is move or amateur RU, or Thunder. And that is it for a region with the population of Greater Manchester.

1 minute ago, dixiedean said:

They certainly have the potential to be competitive around the mid-table to lower should they get up. Should they do that with a reserve side, and the aforementioned Academy set up, then they have the ability to push on. 

There really is not much competition up here. Pretty much every school has an RU side. Comprehensives. But, there is nowt below Falcons, who themselves are now Championship. Next best are Tynedale, who play in the fourth tier in a village population 3 000. If you don't make Falcons it is move or amateur or Thunder. And that is it for a region with the population of Greater Manchester.

I agree, from the outside, Newcastle looks like a great opportunity for RL to grow. An ambitions wealthy owner, grassroots programs, less competition from Union. The RFL/SL should be investing in this area, or does opportunity have to call before it comes knocking.

2 minutes ago, ojx said:

I agree, from the outside, Newcastle looks like a great opportunity for RL to grow. An ambitions wealthy owner, grassroots programs, less competition from Union. The RFL/SL should be investing in this area, or does opportunity have to call before it comes knocking.

Which is why it is the no brainer for Magic Weekend. There is not the anti- League attitude either up here.

6 hours ago, dixiedean said:

There really is not much competition up here. Pretty much every school has an RU side. Comprehensives. But, there is nowt below Falcons, who themselves are now Championship. Next best are Tynedale, who play in the fourth tier in a village population 3 000. If you don't make Falcons it is move or amateur RU, or Thunder. And that is it for a region with the population of Greater Manchester.

I think Ealing will give the Falcons a run for their money next season.

The pages of the Durham and Northumberland Rugby Forum will tell you about RU below the national level if you are interested.

But yes,there is an oppourtunity for league from Newcastle,both south into north Yorks and north up to the Borders.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

But there is plenty of competition from RU,despite their relegation the Falcons are still the major draw in the area for both player/support/sponsorship and below them the likes of Tynedale/Percy Park and several others have great facilities and wealth behind them and can mop up players who don't make the grade at the Falcons and offer them payments that will be on a par with some championship clubs.

The Thunders academy is a step in the right direction though and they seem to be looking at West Cumbria as well as locally for talented Young players to fill it.

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

QLT a very good player on his day but that day was at least 2-3 years ago. Although you can't blame him at this stage of his career, he is now just in it for how much he can get.

Oh,Hali,Hali.He had a few good days,only last year,in Super League.

He has looked after himself.

Players have to look after themselves.His mate Menzie,at Sheffield Eagles for eleven years,hasn't even had a testimonial.

A former head coach,who guided 3 clubs to silverware,including Thunder,is returning to Australia,in a matter of days,and none of those clubs,which enjoyed the success,have bothered to invite him back to their stadia for a goodbye.

Ain't such a thing as loyalty no more.

I would have thought the brief service of QLT,at Halifax,warranted a bit of loyalty from a Halifax follower. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

9 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Oh,Hali,Hali.He had a few good days,only last year,in Super League.

He has looked after himself.

Players have to look after themselves.His mate Menzie,at Sheffield Eagles for eleven years,hasn't even had a testimonial.

A former head coach,who guided 3 clubs to silverware,including Thunder,is returning to Australia,in a matter of days,and none of those clubs,which enjoyed the success,have bothered to invite him back to their stadia for a goodbye.

Ain't such a thing as loyalty no more.

I would have thought the brief service of QLT,at Halifax,warranted a bit of loyalty from a Halifax follower. 

Like I say I dont blame him one little bit for taking what he can get. As a fan for me he didn't live up to his billing for us, Im sure he is a good bloke though like some of our players have said.

Archived