Derby week

townie88

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think there will be a lot in the derby on sunday. I will be suprised if haven slip up now but whats the prize for a cumbrian  club,  a season long relegation scrap plenty of hammerings and locals who get *issed off coz travellers get picked every week.  In its current set up i think that league is beyond any cumbrian club.

27 minutes ago, town4me said:

I dont think there will be a lot in the derby on sunday. I will be suprised if haven slip up now but whats the prize for a cumbrian  club,  a season long relegation scrap plenty of hammerings and locals who get *issed off coz travellers get picked every week.  In its current set up i think that league is beyond any cumbrian club.

God loves an optimist! If you ain't in you'll never win! I think the current Haven squad would have a good go in the league above, it's just a few of the older heads might not fancy it, which might mean a bit of rebuilding, but that will happen anyway. I say good luck to them (except on Sunday of course).

26 minutes ago, town4me said:

So should both clubs abandoned hope & ambition and be content with bumbling along in a division that is being threatened with being cut adrift and stripped of central funding.

A club has to have ambition and a plan to move forward or what is the point of existing,I'd rather see a team strive for promotion even if it results in failure at that level and with the constant restructuring by the RFL who knows what the composition of the Championship/League 1 will be going forward.

17 minutes ago, Nero said:

God loves an optimist! If you ain't in you'll never win! I think the current Haven squad would have a good go in the league above, it's just a few of the older heads might not fancy it, which might mean a bit of rebuilding, but that will happen anyway. I say good luck to them (except on Sunday of course).

Oh yes you have to have ambition  i am just saying how tough it is ATM. I disagree their current squad would "give it a good go".  They will without doubt  bring in about half a dozen out of county players.

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So should both clubs abandoned hope & ambition and be content with bumbling along in a division that is being threatened with being cut adrift and stripped of central funding.

A club has to have ambition and a plan to move forward or what is the point of existing,I'd rather see a team strive for promotion even if it results in failure at that level and with the constant restructuring by the RFL who knows what the composition of the Championship/League 1 will be going forward.

Yes of course you need to have ambition and drive to play at a higher level my point was  with the current set up its very difficult for the cumbrian  clubs up there.  Look no further than  barrow. 

5 minutes ago, town4me said:

Oh yes you have to have ambition  ut its gettin

Yes of course you need to have ambition and drive to play at a higher level my point was  with the current set up its very difficult for the cumbrian  clubs up there.  Look no further than  barrow. 

With all the uncertainty of the league structures I'd far rather be in the Championship than League 1

2 hours ago, town4me said:

Where as no doubt if we were the ones nearly promoted ,you would no doubt banging on about how we would compete in the championship.If promoted until you see their recruitment then impossible to say how they would do, other than in a league with 4 or 5 full time teams it's always going to be tough.

2 minutes ago, Brad hepis heed said:

Where as no doubt if we were the ones nearly promoted ,you would no doubt banging on about how we would compete in the championship.If promoted until you see their recruitment then impossible to say how they would do, other than in a league with 4 or 5 full time teams it's always going to be tough.

Read my initial post again. I said "cumbrian clubs" . It would be exactly the same for us too.

I’d give owt to get out of this league and into the championship . Yes it’s bloody tough but it’s a hell of a lot better to watch and compete in week in week out . This league is dying a slow death , it’s getting more n more detached , and  the championship is the place to be . What’s the point in playing if you don’t wanna go for it . More money , better recruits ... who knows ? The teams right at the foot are hardly stellar

I cant see how any of the cumbrian clubs couldn't compete at the same level as a Batley, Dewsbury, Halifax etc.

Yes, they would need to rebuild with a few additions. But to often we put the area down. There is defiantly championship level players in this county

15 minutes ago, townie88 said:

I cant see how any of the cumbrian clubs couldn't compete at the same level as a Batley, Dewsbury, Halifax etc.

Yes, they would need to rebuild with a few additions. But to often we put the area down. There is defiantly championship level players in this county

There is, but unfortunately they are spread across 3 clubs, in my opinion.

Watch how many players switch clubs if Barrow and Whitehaven switch divisions next season, Whitehaven will have to do something very different if they are to survive in the championship, be interesting to see if the "Build local" strategy continues into next season.

Just now, Town Army said:

There is, but unfortunately they are spread across 3 clubs, in my opinion.

Watch how many players switch clubs if Barrow and Whitehaven switch divisions next season, Whitehaven will have to do something very different if they are to survive in the championship, be interesting to see if the "Build local" strategy continues into next season.

Long way to go before being promoted yet 2 huge games coming up saying that last 3 where huge games aswell . Could easily finish 3rd yet . League would have been wrapped up now if it wasn't for last min draw against Newcastle and last min defeat against North Wales. 

57 minutes ago, donald said:

Long way to go before being promoted yet 2 huge games coming up saying that last 3 where huge games aswell . Could easily finish 3rd yet . League would have been wrapped up now if it wasn't for last min draw against Newcastle and last min defeat against North Wales. 

Said it before and I'll say it again, I would be amazed if Haven blew it now, bottom 3 plus Town to play can't lose it from here surely

10 minutes ago, Town Army said:

Said it before and I'll say it again, I would be amazed if Haven blew it now, bottom 3 plus Town to play can't lose it from here surely

Only takes one slip up pressure is on massively 

12 minutes ago, Havenfan13 said:

Only takes one slip up pressure is on massively 

Lose one and Newcastle win at Oldham the titles there's.  Cant see past donny winning the playoffs once rangi chase finds his bearings we where lucky we played him first game back.

51 minutes ago, donald said:

Lose one and Newcastle win at Oldham the titles there's.  Cant see past donny winning the playoffs once rangi chase finds his bearings we where lucky we played him first game back.

Rangi finding his bearings is the great imponderable.  He's lost the plot at every club he's been at. We have a similar character on our books talented but totally unreliable.........

20 hours ago, Nero said:

If rumours are to be believed and with Barrow probably coming down, they may pick up a few up from there 

1 minute ago, Onreport said:

bit harsh for an automatic reaction, didn't look as if he meant it, will be a big miss

Sam will be a massive miss, has improved with ever game he  has played, centre has been our problem position all season with Ell injured, not knocking Caine as he stepped in last time but he is not the answer, definitely a problem position for town right now. 

32 minutes ago, Hate the rec said:

Sam will be a massive miss, has improved with ever game he  has played, centre has been our problem position all season with Ell injured, not knocking Caine as he stepped in last time but he is not the answer, definitely a problem position for town right now. 

Everyone knows Caine isn't a centre. But has filled the gap when needed. With Haven having two strong centres in Taylor and JJP. Id look to put him in there.  

I remember an NRL second row who was shifted to centre saying that in the second row people run at you , whereas in the centre people are trying to run round you , and it was the lateral movement that was a big difference .  

It will take a massive effort to win at Haven this week , they know a win on Sunday and the leagues theirs ( Keighley away wont be a problem for them , probably have the smallest pack in the league ) ,doubt they will throw it away now .

Archived