WHATS GOING ON AT ODSAL

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Cut the rent?

Insignificant if Chalmer's claim about running costs is true. The RFL can't afford to take on any significant maintenance costs otherwise they'll be losing even more than they currently are on the whole deal and I doubt the majority of Council Tax payers of BMD would be impressed if the council did so

50 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Chalmers’ latest T&A article is pretty transparent in my opinion. Valley Parade is prohibitively expensive, Bradford PA would require significant upgrades and Dewsbury is the nuclear option.

They want a deal to stay at Odsal. Surely the RFL will agree?

If they do agree an arrangement and stay that’s all good and well but maintenance and running costs are only going to increase over time.

Its a great place to watch rugby but there are no facilities, the terraces are crumbling, the only improvement in the last 20 years has been the Southbank

Leave Odsal and the Bulls will slowly go backwards and possibly kill them off. Chambers has no long term plan. Its OK saying the Bulls will walk away from Odsal, but he need a long term plan to play in the City. He has ruled out VP and Horsfall would need work to host the Bulls. I think the Bulls will stay at Odsal and in a couple of years Chambers will try and pull the same trick to reduce costs. They could reduce the wage bill as well by not having so many fulltime players, but Chambers will probably ignore this as well...

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The RFL are penniless they are not in financial position to do that.

Surely when the new owners took over at Bradford they done due diligence to know what the costs were to running the club? Dumb if they didn't.

They did due diligence hence refusing to sign a new lease which the RFL kept trying to push on them, Green signed it in 2014 for 5 years so Chalmers had no choice for 1st 3 years. 

Anyone with half a brain would understand that professional rugby is not sustainable at Odsal. It's the same as inheriting an old,crumbling manor house and believing you can live their,without the ability to re roof,pay endless bills for plumbers and electricians ,whilst letting the gardens turn into a jungle.

As with most things however,people will merely kick the can down the road,believing that a fairy godmother will turn up with £50/100 mill. I dont know where Bradford can go but I do know they will cease trading if they have to operate out of Odsal.

8 hours ago, Bulls2487 said:

They did due diligence hence refusing to sign a new lease which the RFL kept trying to push on them, Green signed it in 2014 for 5 years so Chalmers had no choice for 1st 3 years. 

It's supposedly a new club and more specifically a new business, so the lease agreement between the RFL and Bradford Bulls 2014 will have become void with the remaining 3 years being wiped off. No wonder those ex employees were claiming against the 'new' club.

I have heard no rumours or inside information but my gut feeling is that the Bulls is just a makeweight in the dealings between the Council and the RFL. In those negotiations, we can hope for a lot more from the RFL than the Council. I am unware of a single councillor who has a season ticket that he or she has bought for himself/herself. I've never seen any of the three councillors from my ward at a game.

I think we'll be at Horsfall, which is again council-owned, will see the bare minimum investment from the current council. Long-term, an expansionist RFL would be happy for us to merge with Huddersfield or Halifax.

Bradford Council has two RL clubs with poor stadia. If this Council had any genuine ambition it would build a new stadium for both to share. But this is a council that is currently building a large city-centre shool without any playing fields.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

13 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I have heard no rumours or inside information but my gut feeling is that the Bulls is just a makeweight in the dealings between the Council and the RFL. In those negotiations, we can hope for a lot more from the RFL than the Council. I am unware of a single councillor who has a season ticket that he or she has bought for himself/herself. I've never seen any of the three councillors from my ward at a game.

I think we'll be at Horsfall, which is again council-owned, will see the bare minimum investment from the current council. Long-term, an expansionist RFL would be happy for us to merge with Huddersfield or Halifax.

Bradford Council has two RL clubs with poor stadia. If this Council had any genuine ambition it would build a new stadium for both to share. But this is a council that is currently building a large city-centre shool without any playing fields.

Exactly. I keep reiterating why the Council haven't sold it off in the last 30 years plus a multi million pound sports centre has been built down the road (Sedburgh) and not on or near Odsal.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Maybe its ambitions are more focussed upon all those council tax payers who don't go to watch RL than the tiny minority who do, or am I being simplistic?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

17 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Insignificant if Chalmer's claim about running costs is true. The RFL can't afford to take on any significant maintenance costs otherwise they'll be losing even more than they currently are on the whole deal and I doubt the majority of Council Tax payers of BMD would be impressed if the council did so

Those costs will only keep rising and someone as financially savvy as Wood should have known that.  IMO, whatever is sorted out will only be short term.

7 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

People keep mentioning Horsfall as if it's a viable option. Surely it isn't.

It's potentially viable.

1. Very close to Odsal - just over a mile, probably a 20 minute walk

2. It's in Bradford, which really matters to a lot of supporters

3. Has apparently already been pre-approved by the RFL

4. It would only take a temporary grandstand to take the capacity up over 4000

5. Plenty of space to expand and improve the stadium

6. The owner of the football club seems willing to accommodate. 

It's not ideal, far from it. But it can be made viable.

7 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's potentially viable.

I went there to watch York City and the away fans were along the perimeter of the running track. It's even worse than Odsal. Good luck to the Bulls if that's what they decide to do.

59 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's potentially viable.

Re 3 I think Chalmers said that he didn't think the RFL would to object to a move there (or Dewsbury). Not the same as they'd already approves.

1 hour ago, wilsontown said:

I went there to watch York City and the away fans were along the perimeter of the running track. It's even worse than Odsal. Good luck to the Bulls if that's what they decide to do.

Like I say, far from ideal.

It could come down to a choice between a better stadium outside Bradford (Dewsbury), which will doubtless alienate a large section of the fanbase, or an inferior stadium which at least has the advantage of being in Bradford.

There isn't an ideal scenario here, just the least worst of the available options

2 hours ago, wilsontown said:

Agreed. Horsfall is awful (even for a crowd in the hundreds), as anyone who has watched BPA there will know.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's potentially viable.

will they still be charging £28 for a seat?

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe its ambitions are more focussed upon all those council tax payers who don't go to watch RL than the tiny minority who do, or am I being simplistic?

It's focussed on the section of the community that is least likely to pay council tax

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

It's potentially viable.

Horsfall might be ok in the short term but it needs serious development. There’s the running track, poor executive facilities, low capacity although there is potential in the long term to expand although it’s unlikely to happen unless Park Avenue get into the FL

That is not what the multi millionaire Chairman of B.P.A is saying.The announcement is tomorrow then at least all the know alls who are thinking they know what is going to happen even thought they live as far apart as St. Helens,Workington and York amongst many others.One thing for certain is that one of them will be correct and say, I told you so.If the Bradford supporters do not know then you can be assured nobody else does.

Archived