WHATS GOING ON AT ODSAL

Koncrete, 

There is non so blind as those than can not see. It has probably helped you to get it off your chest but you are wasting your time with some posters.All they want to see is the demise of Bradford and then they will be delighted.Not all, but a good few on this forum from as Far away as Whitehaven, Workington, St Helens, Wigan and closer to home Keighley, York, Featherstone. All true R.L. supporters so they say.

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Odsal even when filled in can not be used for social housing nor I believe any business which is going to employ hundreds of personnel. The grounds and the surrounding areas,i.e. the local Council Tip has been inspected time and time again and has been found not suitable for building due to the many gases now in the ground which have accumulated after many,many years of being used for the local tipping of household waste, etc,etc,etc. So as one poster has already stated whst will the R.F.L. and Bradford Council do now? Let it fall into further disrepair by leaving a great big hole in the ground for the next twenty years, remember Bradford has a history of this in the actual Town Centre.In this mornings local press the owner of B.P.A ,a millionaire oil man has promised there will be a R.L. team back in Bradford in the next couple of years which seems to me that talks are still ongoing with all parties. Also a nice little reminder that Bradford was once a great City for sport, two  professional football league clubs, Bradford Park Avenue and City, a Yorkshire cricket venue, a World Speedway stadium, two Greyhound venues.Now what have we got ,Valley Parade where League 2 football is currently being played with not much chance of being any higher.Bradford League cricket which was known as the best league in the country, gone, Bradford Central League cricket ,basically the second tier of the Bradford League, gone, Schools, football,rugby,cricket, gone.Airedale Harriers Athletics ,gone.What have we now in their place, Qaeed Azam cricket league, some sort of Kabbadi League.Tells its own story.And please let us not turn it into a Party Political story. All other towns in the U.K. are suffering the same,have they all lost all of their sports facilities and teams? I think I know the answer to that.

Don't forget the cricket and rugby union clubs, who both departed for Bingley...

Not sure the Bradford Cricket League has 'gone'. Its top division is one of the strongest ECB Premier leagues.

5 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Koncrete, 

There is non so blind as those than can not see. It has probably helped you to get it off your chest but you are wasting your time with some posters.All they want to see is the demise of Bradford and then they will be delighted.Not all, but a good few on this forum from as Far away as Whitehaven, Workington, St Helens, Wigan and closer to home Keighley, York, Featherstone. All true R.L. supporters so they say.

I doubt there are many on here who want to see the demise of any club (apart from TWP! for some).

Going to be a tough time and hopefully the club can come through it.   

So Bradford Council own Horsfall Stadium is that right? 3500 capacity, and practically in Odsal?  Surely that is the route to go down.  Increasing the capacity by 1500 is surely possible so it's as big as Dewsbury.  Why is that not an affordable option?  Who's making that too expensive? 

9 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Koncrete,  There is non so blind as those than can not see. It has probably helped you to get it off your chest but you are wasting your time with some posters.All they want to see is the demise of Bradford and then they will be delighted.Not all, but a good few on this forum from as Far away as Whitehaven, Workington, St Helens, Wigan and closer to home Keighley, York, Featherstone. All true R.L. supporters so they say.

Yes, it is rather dispiriting to read the constant droning of people on this thread (and even more so on other forums and social media) who basically know nothing, but are taking a pyrrhic delight in picking over the bones of this.

For myself, I was first taken to Odsal as a small boy in the late 1960s and it has played a major part in my life since - through thick and thin. Yes, some 'glory days' in the late 70s / early 80s (Peter Fox RIP) and then again from the late 90s/early 2000s (Peter Deakin RIP). Two spells in 50+ years, totalling about 10 years, and the rest of the time there has been some pretty low points!

Now I find that the one and only game still to be played at Odsal takes place whilst I am on holiday, which means I will never be able to go and watch rugby at Odsal again. I don't expect any sympathy from the gloating naysayers, but it would be nice if some of those people could try to empathise a bit more!

Anyway, onwards and upwards...

As long as they have some plans to move back into the City, then it may be a short - term loss, but you have to look at it in the long term. They either move, or most likely cease to exist over the next few years. Shame there aren't more Billionaires in the sport!

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Redjohn. 

Neither did I know they had a Kabbadi league,I know nothing about the sport only that the Asian community seem to have plenty of sponsorship available where sport is concerned.I just thought I would throw that in there.The rest is correct though, Bradford is finished as a sporting city whilst this presiding council is in office.Problem is there is not enough voters to get them out.And as I have already pointed out other Town and City councils have the same problems but use the monies available sensibly compared to Bradford.

thanks for your reply but at the risk of annoying other posters as its a side conversation may I suggest......  Google Le Panga or Kabbadi marketing strategy and get an intriguing insights on how they transformed a niche but cultural sport into something to compete with cricket IPL.   Its I believe the fastest growing sport in India (CNBC.com video) plus other nations too now..

I only took an interest a couple of years ago from a marketing strategy perspective.  Its a good "case book study" for those interested in marketing strategies, me thinks.

Also if I was Bradford council I'd take an interest given part of the demographics of the city. I would suggest it has huge potential for the City.

31 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

the gloating naysayers

You're not going to get much sympathy whilst you're busy inventing people.

Nobody wants any club to die. Nobody wants fans driven away from the sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I know I keep banging on about this, but here's a google image search for Horsfall Stadium.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=horsfall+stadium&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipk422vYfkAhXiVhUIHeiACtQQ_AUIEigC&biw=1440&bih=799

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice little set up for a division 6 (north) soccer side who get a few hundred fans, but that main stand that you see in all those images is pretty much it. Everything else is standing in a field next to a running track, watching a football game take place somewhere in the middle distance.

If you think you're getting several thousand RL fans in there without a significant amount of work, I'd be interested to know how.

Just now, wilsontown said:

I know I keep banging on about this, but here's a google image search for Horsfall Stadium.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=horsfall+stadium&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipk422vYfkAhXiVhUIHeiACtQQ_AUIEigC&biw=1440&bih=799

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice little set up for a division 6 (north) soccer side who get a few hundred fans, but that main stand that you see in all those images is pretty much it. Everything else is standing in a field next to a running track, watching a football game take place somewhere in the middle distance.

If you think you're getting several thousand RL fans in there without a significant amount of work, I'd be interested to know how.

I can't tell from those pictures if it's possible but Newport County moved back to Newport to play at Spytty Park which had only one main stand an athletics track, so very similar. To get up to Conference standards they basically bought some temporary stands that were wheeled out and put up behind the goals when needed - and then removed when athletics was required. It wasn't satisfactory but it did see them through for a time and didn't require massive investment or planning permission.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Koncrete, 

Who from those areas has said they want to see the demise of Bradford ?

Always interesting how people interpret things depending on club loyalties.

Im not seeing much if any gloating just an intriguing debate. FWIW Bradford for a long time were my 2nd team, I remember them regularly bringing 4-5k to Cas and the Odsal experience as a young ‘un was amazing. 

1 hour ago, Click said:

As long as they have some plans to move back into the City, then it may be a short - term loss, but you have to look at it in the long term. They either move, or most likely cease to exist over the next few years. Shame there aren't more Billionaires in the sport!

hunslet moved out of south Leeds for a few seasons and they somehow survived  so its not hopeless but I'm afraid expectation may well have to be lowered 

Just now, paul hicks said:

hunslet moved out of south Leeds for a few seasons and they somehow survived  so its not hopeless but I'm afraid expectation may well have to be lowered 

They may of survived, but it isn't like they are thriving. In the short time I am sure they will be fine, but long term, surely Bradford should be playing in Bradford?

44 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I can't tell from those pictures if it's possible but Newport County moved back to Newport to play at Spytty Park which had only one main stand an athletics track, so very similar. To get up to Conference standards they basically bought some temporary stands that were wheeled out and put up behind the goals when needed - and then removed when athletics was required. It wasn't satisfactory but it did see them through for a time and didn't require massive investment or planning permission.

am I right in thinking that there's been temporary seating at Huddersfield for years at one end of the ground .

3 minutes ago, Click said:

They may of survived, but it isn't like they are thriving. In the short time I am sure they will be fine, but long term, surely Bradford should be playing in Bradford?

yes but the fact is there not going to be so I was pointing to the fact that hunslet had several seasons out of south Leeds and survived.

I'm not suggesting you can compare the futures of the 2 clubs as in reality hunslet will never trouble even the upper reaches of the championship  but for now its about in both case keeping a club alive

13 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

yes but the fact is there not going to be so I was pointing to the fact that hunslet had several seasons out of south Leeds and survived.

I'm not suggesting you can compare the futures of the 2 clubs as in reality hunslet will never trouble even the upper reaches of the championship  but for now its about in both case keeping a club alive

Yeah, i completely agree - It is about keeping a club alive. Hopefully they can get an adrenaline shot in a few years and be back to where they should be.

The leader of Bradford council has now stepped into the fray announcing they are doing all they can with other parties to keep the Bulls in Bradford.She says she understands the predicament they are in with the ongoing costs of the stadium but seems pretty adamant that Bradford is where the Bulls belong.If they do have to move then she says the move should be as short as possible.Over to you R.F.L.

If the Bradford Bulls reserve side,and academy side,are also scheduled to play games at Dewsbury that pitch,which becomes a mudbath during the winter months,is going to take some maintenance.

If they are not,then the club will be even more fractured.

I hope it all goes well for the Bradford Bulls supporters.They have been put through the wringer,too often and for too long.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

12 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

The leader of Bradford council has now stepped into the fray announcing they are doing all they can with other parties to keep the Bulls in Bradford.She says she understands the predicament they are in with the ongoing costs of the stadium but seems pretty adamant that Bradford is where the Bulls belong.If they do have to move then she says the move should be as short as possible.Over to you R.F.L.

It's a bit of nothing statement - fair enough she has to say something and it's the noises she has to make- but the council (like many in the country) are potless, therefore powerless. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Amber, they seem to find money to modernise kitchens and offices, statues, ponds in the middle of City Square, cycling lanes that go nowhere and nobody uses anywhere, not that I blame cyclists,would you ride a bike through Bradford? As you say most councils are strapped for cash, simple answer, do not spend what you have stupidly then. Now where have I heard that before.

Personally I think it's a real shame.  There have been some great games there and, at the height of Bradford's success, Odsal was a fortress.  I think it's a very subjective matter whether you think it's a "tragedy" or whatever.

But reality bites in many aspects of life and (whatever the rights and wrongs of how they have got here) it seems like they can't keep the old girl going at this point.  I'd be gutted if I were a fan and wouldn't want to travel to Dewsbury, but maybe that's just the reality and they have to re-group and try and get back into Bradford a different way, which I'm sure they will.

Tonka, It certainly has had its day but it is still an iconic stadium to us old Bradfordians who have seen some marvellous spectacles there. I was there for the Halifax v Warrington Cup replay in 1954, seen many tremendous cup an championship semi finals, seen the World Speedway Final there. The iconic Roman Catholic Pageant in the 1950,s in which the late great Trevor Foster was fixed to the cross as Jesus Christ, the Harlem Globetrotters,pop concerts with the groups of the day.The Peter Fox Dads Army Test Match in 78 when G.B beat the Aussies.The best players in the world before and after S.L. all played there.But as you say time moves on but the memories will still remain. But I reckon it is still a sad way to lose the ground by way of some people who only saw pounds, shillings and pence as their main target.I am noy by the way blaming the current incumbents,they have had their hands tied behind their backs by previous owners.

Archived