WHATS GOING ON AT ODSAL

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If the Bradford Bulls reserve side,and academy side,are also scheduled to play games at Dewsbury that pitch,which becomes a mudbath during the winter months,is going to take some maintenance.

If they are not,then the club will be even more fractured.

I hope it all goes well for the Bradford Bulls supporters.They have been put through the wringer,too often and for too long.

Last couple of seasons the reserve & academy games have been played at Dudley Hill in the pre summer time part of the season

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Amber Avenger said:

It's a bit of nothing statement - fair enough she has to say something and it's the noises she has to make- but the council (like many in the country) are potless, therefore powerless. 

That’s the annoying thing. There’s value in the Odsal site - both sides of the road. Needs a chunk of cash to unlock it. The council are the only ones who could access that money, and as a taxpayer I wouldn’t be annoyed if the council stumped up £3m now and got a multiuse community sports stadium and £4m back in 5yrs time whilst the developer pocketed £8m

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If the Bradford Bulls reserve side,and academy side,are also scheduled to play games at Dewsbury that pitch,which becomes a mudbath during the winter months,is going to take some maintenance.

There's really no need to play Reserve and Academy matches at the 'main' stadium. A lot of clubs don't do that.

We've played Reserve and Academy games at Dudley Hill (Conference-level team in Bradford) and could presumably play there again. In fact, ironically, it might be some small measure of comfort for those upset about the Bulls 'not playing in Bradford'!

7 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Why was the lease bought by the R.F.L. without the other member clubs consulted? I know it saved Bradford at the time but for how long before the club was in Administration again.

This bit has a bit of background. Towards the end of 2011 season, Bradford (like many clubs) had a cashflow problem and went to the RFL for a loan (again, like many clubs) to cover things until ST money & xmas sales came in.

The difference this time was the size of the loan - high 6 figures, so both the RFL and Bulls kept it a secret loan.

I have no idea how this unsecured loan was arranged. I'm frightened to think it may have gone along the lines of:

Hood - we need a £900k loan to put my plan into action to turn around the club.

RFL - is it a cunning plan?

Hood - of course

RFL - that's fine then, here you go, it'll have to be secret as the other 41 clubs might be a bit upset.

Hood - no problem, unsecured, of course.

Forward 6 months....

Panicked RFL - our backsides are on the line here, words beginning to leak about the loan. We're exposed to the tune of £900k. Maybe if we offer to buy the lease to Odsal,we basically convert our unsecured loan to a secure one. We can spin the Bulls as the bad guys, we save Odsal from development, we look good, It'll give us options in the future.

Reasonable RFL - There'll be a massive conflict of interest in the future and ethically, it could be seen as taking advantage of a financially distressed member club?

Panicked RFL - were you not listening? Our backsides are on the line here, we need to do what we can to dig ourselves out of this hole (sic), the future can takecare of itself and ethics be damned.

And early 2012, the RFL take the Odsal head lease for £1.5m and everything starts to go wrong.

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Amber, they seem to find money to modernise kitchens and offices, statues, ponds in the middle of City Square, cycling lanes that go nowhere and nobody uses anywhere, not that I blame cyclists,would you ride a bike through Bradford? As you say most councils are strapped for cash, simple answer, do not spend what you have stupidly then. Now where have I heard that before.

The value of eu regeneration funds.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

With all that land around, how has something not managed to be arranged after all these decades of stadium talks?

Leeds have had to develop on a tiny space in the middle of a student area by comparison.

Surely a club the side of Bradford (was, at least) could have found investment linked with the council? Are there no major players in Bradford that would see the benefit of building on this site? Not even the university?

Screenshot_20190816-181358_Maps.jpg

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, Click said:

They may of survived, but it isn't like they are thriving. In the short time I am sure they will be fine, but long term, surely Bradford should be playing in Bradford?

New stadium builds are notoriously long winded or even neverending... Workington  ? Castleford ?  Wakefield The list goes on. 

Wellsy,

A decade or so ago I believe it was Tesco who put in plans to build a Supermarket, a new ground for the Bulls as well as other beneficial projects that seem to go with these sort of developments. Morrisons then stepped in and appealed against the project,the council backed Morrisons,then the Government were called in and backed the council and Morrisons.Tesco withdrew and here we are today reaping the rewards of that fiasco.

20 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I've seen the comments from BPA but not from the RFL - any link? They obviously have a vested interest in not allowing the move.

My understanding from the past furore surrounding Odsal and Bradfords past is that the RFL lease is dependent upon professional RL being played at Odsal. If nobody does play there for X months/years then that lease would revert to the council, and they could develop the site in any way that they might choose.

Can anyone confirm of correct this understanding?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

18 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

To be honest, he is right that the club cannot continue at Odsal. It's the same problem for every reincarnation of the club. They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

He's explored different options and this is the only one that works. There's not much else he can do to take the club forward, but staying at Odsal is not the answer.

It's a shame they have to move out of Bradford, but hopefully the council will see how much the city needs the club and try assist in their efforts to return to the city.

It's just a shame that he didn't know all of this before deciding to form the new club, isn't it?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Wasn't he tied into the lease if he wanted to take assets? Or something along those lines?

There was something odd about the transfer of assets (trophies, web address, intellectual property etc) in that the RFL bought them from the Administrator and then sold them to Bulls 2016. The lease was between the RFL and Bulls 2014 so surely became null and void when that entity stopped trading as a RL team. As I've said several times it's no wonder the ex employees were suing.

8 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Chambers refused to sign the deal concerning the lease as it was stipulated that the Bulls would have to pay the maintenance costs along with rental, council taxes etc,etc.The deal had already been signed by previous incumbents but that deal runs out Sept. 1st or so I am led to believe. In normal rental practice surely the Owner of the site should pay for the maintenance, but ,hey ho, never mind,it will make a lot of so called R.L. fans happy that the Bulls are in trouble again.

If you mean the previous incumbents of the liquidated company then that agreement lapsed at that point. AC or a representative of the new Bradford club must have signed a new lease on formation.

On reflection possibly Wellsy is correct, if he had been adamant to keep certain assets he would have been tied to the lease,by allowing the trophies,jerseys etc. to be released maybe somehow he was not tied to the lease.I suspect we will never know as the R.F.L will be pretty reluctant not to let the Terms of the Lease into the Public Domain.So, speculation will continue until doomsday,everybody will have their own opinions but none of us will know for certain.

2 hours ago, fairfolly said:

The leader of Bradford council has now stepped into the fray announcing they are doing all they can with other parties to keep the Bulls in Bradford.She says she understands the predicament they are in with the ongoing costs of the stadium but seems pretty adamant that Bradford is where the Bulls belong.If they do have to move then she says the move should be as short as possible.Over to you R.F.L.

And what, exactly, do you expect the RFL to do?

Johnny,

I believe that R.L. has to be played on the ground until 2052. I have certainly read that somewhere,whether that is true I am not sure.But it has always been believed that there is some sort of covenant on the ground to that effect.

2 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Johnny,

I believe that R.L. has to be played on the ground until 2052. I have certainly read that somewhere,whether that is true I am not sure.But it has always been believed that there is some sort of covenant on the ground to that effect.

I believe the covenant for RL to be played on the ground ends this year. What a coincidence! 

Pretty sure it's been discussed briefly in the trade press this year. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

1 minute ago, fairfolly said:

What do I expect the R.F.L. to do Johnny, come clean ,put us all out of our misery and tell us the truth behind the dealings.

Maybe then we can all stop the guessing if we hear the facts.

OK, that's going to happen isn't it? But from a practical point of view that could help to keep the club in Bradford, what can the RFL actually do?

If the Bulls leave Bradford they will never return to the city.

The RFL and Bradford council are basically penurious and Mandrake the magician is only in comics.

If AC thinks that by threatening to move the Bulls to Dewsbury the RFL and Bradford Council will conjure up money he's deluded. The money isn't there.

Perhaps it was a mistake on the RFL's part to take over the lease.

Perhaps it would have been better to let the Bulls wither and die.

I believe this is pure brinkmanship and really surprised you are all swallowing this. Carter did the same last year and it came off for him. This is just the bulls copying wakey. 

By the way has anyone got any hard evidence that Dewsbury have actually agreed to all this, because I bet no one has.

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

If AC thinks that by threatening to move the Bulls to Dewsbury the RFL and Bradford Council will conjure up money he's deluded. The money isn't there.

You don't say? 

Whatever else you can say about Andrew Chalmers, he isn't a total fool. And anyone who thinks 'the RFL and Bradford Council will conjure up money' is clearly a fool. Both organisations are totally bereft of money.

Moreover, I don't see where Chalmers is saying he expects such a thing will happen. Clearly, any new stadium, if one ever happens, will need private funding - from a developer who sees a way to make money on an overall scheme. Whether that involves retail, leisure, business - who knows? 

What the Council can do - and whether they will, we don't know - is help with providing land, facilitating planning permissions, and generally being helpful for once. But nobody thinks there will be any actual hard cash from the Council.

No it is not going to happen Johnny. That could be part of the problem why no businessman is prepared to invest in the Bulls. If you was a successful businessman would you be prepared to buy the lease from the R.F.L ? I know I would not.Maybe if everything was brought out into the open somebody somewhere would be prepared to invest. If there is nothing to hide where is the problem.?

Archived