WHATS GOING ON AT ODSAL

35 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Read somewhere today - will have to find out where, that Bradford had the second highest wage bill in the Championship - this surely can't be true?

Yeah it was in the aptly named ‘Rumours and Gossip’ page on one of so-called RL ‘news’ sites.

Emphatically denied by John Kear in the Telegraph & Argus.

So it depends who you believe: an unnamed gossip columnist, or a highly respected coach who actually KNOWS how much people get paid... 

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Read somewhere today - will have to find out where, that Bradford had the second highest wage bill in the Championship - this surely can't be true?

looking at the league I would think Toronto are top of the wages bill but after that I would think its down to which other teams were running as full time so looks like Bradford as the next highest as both leigh and Widnes came late to the table in signing players on so wont have been paying high wages for the full season.

45 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah it was in the aptly named ‘Rumours and Gossip’ page on one of so-called RL ‘news’ sites.

So it depends who you believe: an unnamed gossip columnist, or a highly respected coach who actually KNOWS how much people get paid... 

And what squad definition the gossip columnist is using. Bradford has approx. 105 players registered this season - covering 1st team, reserves, 19's (3 academy years), scholars (2 scholarship years) and the women's team.

If he's saying we've the second highest wage bill (total), then that's possible but unlikely. If he's saying we've the 2nd highest wages for a 1st team squad of 25 then that will be rubbish. Likely 4th I would think.

31 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

And what squad definition the gossip columnist is using. Bradford has approx. 105 players registered this season - covering 1st team, reserves, 19's (3 academy years), scholars (2 scholarship years) and the women's team.

If he's saying we've the second highest wage bill (total), then that's possible but unlikely. If he's saying we've the 2nd highest wages for a 1st team squad of 25 then that will be rubbish. Likely 4th I would think.

so apart from Toronto who else would be spending more throughout the season . remember that Bradford's wage bill counts from last novemember when they were paying players they had signed and both leigh and Widnes were late to the party in signing players. so apart from Toronto who would be paying more ?.

most times players wages are discussed it is first team squads that are talked about so I take it that's the context of the discussion.

by the way scholarship and the ladies team do not get paid .

11 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

so apart from Toronto who else would be spending more throughout the season . remember that Bradford's wage bill counts from last novemember when they were paying players they had signed and both leigh and Widnes were late to the party in signing players. so apart from Toronto who would be paying more ?.

most times players wages are discussed it is first team squads that are talked about so I take it that's the context of the discussion.

by the way scholarship and the ladies team do not get paid .

I would think both Toronto and Toulouse are the top 2 for payers with Bradford third. The rest, except probably Leigh, spend less than 400k with Halifax the highest and probably Swinton and Rochdale spending the least.

2 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I would think both Toronto and Toulouse are the top 2 for payers with Bradford third. The rest, except probably Leigh, spend less than 400k with Halifax the highest and probably Swinton and Rochdale spending the least.

indeed Toulouse although they have a number of French players who are part time  by choice although I would think the definition may be at times stretched a bit and given the tax system in France the actual top line of payment does not always need to be as high as in England to get the same net wage . 

31 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

Like you, I have no idea, but this is what John Kear said

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/17858311.kear-bradford-bulls-not-big-spenders/

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

... or John Kear

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

6 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

The Bulls should have been Killed off years ago. What happened to the 500k that was Given by fans of all Clubs? Time drifted in and done dodgy charactor after another blamed others from Hood to Green to now Chalmers.The RFL getting involved has helped neither the Bulls or the game. The RFL getting involved has let many people angry and many Questions that refuse to be answered.

Bradford should have moved or made plans to move away from Odsal 20 years or more. It was clear back then, millions was needed for Odsal to be a modern Stadium. The cost of Keeping the terraces in a good State alone would no dont be a Big cost. The money wasted by Bradford (and RFL,Bradford Council etc) over the years on Odsal,would probably have paid a large percentage for a modern Stadium elsewhere in the City.

Stick around. Won’t be long now.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

34 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I have alot of respect for John Kear as a Coach and Person. However people no matter who they are, do not tell the whole story in Sport. Leigh have only recently spent money. As for Fev, I would be very surprised they spend more than Bradford, seen as they DR with Leeds and have a much smaller squad and have not spent money on bringing FT Super League players in like Jordan Lilley.

2 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Stick around. Won’t be long now.

They should have been killed off and a fresh club started with no ties to Odsal etc. Yes it would have hurt the fans, but least the new club maybe playing out of BPA in League 1 would have had more chance than the Bulls has now. I dont understand neither why the RFL forced the Bulls to run an Academy as its something that again takes time and money away from far more important things.

Thats why i feel it would have been far better for the Bulls to die. A new club with no ties to anything from the past and have the freedom to play where it wanted would have been better. Why the RFL allowed the likes of Green, Hood, Chalmers to try and run a club with the millstone of Odsal etc I cant work out. The Bulls were losing money in Sl with such problems so it was clear to most that anybody taking over such debts and deals would suffer the same.

48 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

thanks for the link paul although it does surprise me as of course leigh have signed most of the higher paid players in the last 3 months and thus will have only paid them for that amount of time while fev are a part time club so just how much are they paying part time players 

Just now, Lounge Room Lizard said:

They should have been killed off and a fresh club started with no ties to Odsal etc. Yes it would have hurt the fans, but least the new club maybe playing out of BPA in League 1 would have had more chance than the Bulls has now. I dont understand neither why the RFL forced the Bulls to run an Academy as its something that again takes time and money away from far more important things.

Thats why i feel it would have been far better for the Bulls to die. A new club with no ties to anything from the past and have the freedom to play where it wanted would have been better. Why the RFL allowed the likes of Green, Hood, Chalmers to try and run a club with the millstone of Odsal etc I cant work out. The Bulls were losing money in Sl with such problems so it was clear to most that anybody taking over such debts and deals would suffer the same.

An excellent post with very good questions. We continue to be a very badly managed club by people with no money and who were ALL appointed by the RFL.

The last admin was the opportunity to do what you suggest and was something that both the fans and the club wanted. Sadly the RFL wanted us to stay in the championship at Odsal.

All roads lead to Rome LRL...

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

57 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

An excellent post with very good questions. We continue to be a very badly managed club by people with no money and who were ALL appointed by the RFL.

The last admin was the opportunity to do what you suggest and was something that both the fans and the club wanted. Sadly the RFL wanted us to stay in the championship at Odsal.

All roads lead to Rome LRL...

Are you saying that the new club was compelled to stay at Odsal by the RFL?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Are you saying that the new club was compelled to stay at Odsal by the RFL?

what other option's did the bulls have when they reformed other than odsal because I cant see many now .

its fine saying the RFL forced them to play at odsal but nobody seems able to say what the alterative was . well other than Dewsbury by the looks of it

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I would doubt many coaches would have too much idea what their players are paid. Most would be told if there is budget available, suggest who they wanted, and then someone else usually some sort of football manager will cary out negotiations. Maybe John Kear is the exeception to the rule but there is a good chance he is specualting.

7 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I would doubt many coaches would have too much idea what their players are paid. Most would be told if there is budget available, suggest who they wanted, and then someone else usually some sort of football manager will cary out negotiations. Maybe John Kear is the exeception to the rule but there is a good chance he is specualting.

Let's assume he does know what his players are paid. How would he know how much other teams pay? It's all speculation, from all parties. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

16 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

Let's assume he does know what his players are paid. How would he know how much other teams pay? It's all speculation, from all parties. 

Maybe, but I’d be pretty confident that John Kear knows more about player wages than a bunch of random people on an Internet forum....

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Maybe, but I’d be pretty confident that John Kear knows more about player wages than a bunch of random people on an Internet forum....

yes he would know more about Bradford's wages but would he have access to the wages of players at other clubs ?

2 hours ago, paul hicks said:

yes he would know more about Bradford's wages but would he have access to the wages of players at other clubs ?

He wouldn’t have ‘access’ obviously - but I’d still back him to have more inside knowledge than a ‘reporter’ posting in gossip column on an internet site, which is where this discussion started from....

16 hours ago, paul hicks said:

what other option's did the bulls have when they reformed other than odsal because I cant see many now .

its fine saying the RFL forced them to play at odsal but nobody seems able to say what the alterative was . well other than Dewsbury by the looks of it

Back to where we started Paul - the new company weren't forced into existence; they did so because they thought/think that they can make some money out of it. Before forming the company they will have ascertained all of the options available to them as well as the viability of such options, or they were business incompetents.

They were never "compelled" to play at Odsal in the same way that they were never compelled to form the company in the first instance.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

He wouldn’t have ‘access’ obviously - but I’d still back him to have more inside knowledge than a ‘reporter’ posting in gossip column on an internet site, which is where this discussion started from....

well if your on about lazy rugby league journalism them I'm with you there . slow day make up a story stuff .

as for in this case was it true well who knows

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Back to where we started Paul - the new company weren't forced into existence; they did so because they thought/think that they can make some money out of it. Before forming the company they will have ascertained all of the options available to them as well as the viability of such options, or they were business incompetents.

They were never "compelled" to play at Odsal in the same way that they were never compelled to form the company in the first instance.

yep I'm with you there I was just trying to get an answer to if not odsal were would a new club/company have played but nobody who blames the RFL ever comes up with a plausible answer.

far to easy to blame the RFL without coming up with an alternative

Mark Wilson (Forty-20) has posted on Twitter a Photo of a "Bradford Northern Rugby League Football Club 2020 Ltd" having been registered! The mess seems to get worse by each passing day. The sad thing is much of this could have been avoided. This whole farce is simply another chapter of the RFL and Clubs-not just Bradford Bulls- pushing fans away from the Sport due to the way they are run and do things. Any lessons learnt? No and no doubt such things will keep on happening.

Archived