WHATS GOING ON AT ODSAL

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEWSFLASH:

No-one cares about Bulls anymore.  What is the population of Bradford? How many watch Bulls? 

The city has a terrible, low division soccer club, which gets 5 times the Bulls support.

RL needs lots of things - artificially protecting any club is not one of them.

55 minutes ago, dboy said:

NEWSFLASH:

No-one cares about Bulls anymore.  What is the population of Bradford? How many watch Bulls? 

The city has a terrible, low division soccer club, which gets 5 times the Bulls support.

RL needs lots of things - artificially protecting any club is not one of them.

Totally agree, this 23 page topic proves it. Would have got to 50 if people cared about us. 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

3 hours ago, dboy said:

Carter and Dewsbury were genuine and serious.

The Dewsbury chairman has always been open to developing the size of the Rams business.

I have no doubt that Chalmers and Dewsbury are serious.

If all these Bulls fans want to stay in Bfd, maybe you will accept a much weakened squad next year?

Or perhaps you could get former players to donate memorabilia and have an auction? There may still be some knocking about.

Or you could accept that Chalmers has the best interests of the club at heart and trust that he knows what his business needs to look like going forward.

Calmers having the best interests of the Bulls at heart is an extremely liberal interpretation of events. Give the posts of some actual Bulls fans a read, you might be surprised at what they are willing to accept 

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

What you are forgetting that the RFL took the lease over from the Bulls as the Bulls didn't have the money to pay it. The Bulls today owe their very existent to the RFL for taking over the lease

Wrong and wrong 

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I think you will find the rent a bit more than £2K a game.

Not having money from Food and alcohol is a big loss for any club

Wrong and wrong

Keep going...

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

There’s a lot of talk on here about financing. The money is and always has been locked into the site.  If we leave Odsal and the ground is sold then what’s important is what happens to that sale money and who gets what in the divvy up.

I suspect that the value of the site would easily fund a modest new stadium somewhere in the south of the city. But that might not happen. Bradford Council have a very important part to play.  Let’s hope they’re up to the task. 

12 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

If you mean, 'has anyone on an internet forum seen the actual contract', then I guess the answer is 'no'.

But Dewsbury seem to have confirmed it https://dewsburyrams.co.uk/2019/08/15/rams-welcome-bulls-for-next-two-years/

And we've already put season tickets on sale for next year at Dewsbury - with reduced prices to reflect the situation. I'm guessing there'd be all kinds of legal ramifications if people buy tickets for one location, only to find that the ticket is valid for another. 

Off course, being at Dewsbury it would have to be so?

This move will be interesting to watch, hopefully it will work but these things are always a risk.

Naturally Mick has now come round to toe the party line quoting that it makes sense as the stadium costs have reduced from c£30k per game to c£2k per game, but the difference in income has to be factored in. 

We saw at Saints that even when they made the temporary move to Widnes when their new ground was actually being built crowds dropped substantially. 

But if this does go ahead as stated then hopefully it can happen as Chalmers is claiming and a new ground can be built.

But none of this is good news. It is sad to potentially see the end of Odsal. The history the stadium has is unbelievable, and has staged some of the biggest events during the SL era, the game is poorer for not having those events. And if a nice little ground is built in the next 5 years, sadly it is an acknowledgement that the aims for the Bulls are far more modest than recent history, and the death of that super club is officially dead. I know that has probably been the case for the last few years in reality, but it is still sad.

53 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

Wrong and wrong 

Wrong and wrong

Keep going...

Are you on planet earth?

If the Bulls had the money why did the RFL have to take over the lease?

Not having any income from food and alcohol is a huge financial black hole for any club.

If you think that the Bulls are only paying £2,000 a game for Dewsbury ground let me know what you are smoking as i would like some

50 minutes ago, Konkrete said:

There’s a lot of talk on here about financing. The money is and always has been locked into the site.  If we leave Odsal and the ground is sold then what’s important is what happens to that sale money and who gets what in the divvy up.

I suspect that the value of the site would easily fund a modest new stadium somewhere in the south of the city. But that might not happen. Bradford Council have a very important part to play.  Let’s hope they’re up to the task. 

The Bulls will not get a penny from the sale of Odsal.

They don't own the ground and they don't even pay the lease.

Bradford council wont be building a Rugby League ground up to Super League standard and even if they did the Bulls couldn't afford to lease the ground as they couldn't afford the lease at Odsal.

Who said Bradford Council was going to build a R.L. ground? Even if they did,how much would the lease be? They have been paying the lease at Odsal for the last 5 years.The lease runs out at the end of August.The Council will not sell the land they may use at as landfill but they will not sell it.

Now is there anything else you do not know. 

1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Dave T,

Stop posting common sense. You are spoiling it for all the "fruit cakes" who think R.L. does not need a Bradford R.L. club.

You keep saying this, but as yet have shown us no evidence of people wanting Bradford to go under. I think you need to take your tinfoil hat off. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

This move will be interesting to watch, hopefully it will work but these things are always a risk.

Naturally Mick has now come round to toe the party line quoting that it makes sense as the stadium costs have reduced from c£30k per game to c£2k per game, but the difference in income has to be factored in. 

We saw at Saints that even when they made the temporary move to Widnes when their new ground was actually being built crowds dropped substantially. 

But if this does go ahead as stated then hopefully it can happen as Chalmers is claiming and a new ground can be built.

But none of this is good news. It is sad to potentially see the end of Odsal. The history the stadium has is unbelievable, and has staged some of the biggest events during the SL era, the game is poorer for not having those events. And if a nice little ground is built in the next 5 years, sadly it is an acknowledgement that the aims for the Bulls are far more modest than recent history, and the death of that super club is officially dead. I know that has probably been the case for the last few years in reality, but it is still sad.

Those figures keep being bandied about but I don't think that they are directly comparable. The £2k quoted, if it is correct, is simply a rental charge which should be compared with the £72 pa that they have been paying at Odsal. There is a bland assumption being made that the Bulls won't have to make any contributions to ground and pitch maintenance but would this actually be the case? AC has already commented about significan changes needing to be made to the bar and catering facilities - Dewsbury won't be paying for any of this. Add in considerable additional costs on match days and the cost to Bradford will start to significantly exceed £2k. None of us has any idea what the real costs will be.

If I were a betting man I would hazard ten bob on the Bulls playing in Bradford next season.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Are you on planet earth?

If the Bulls had the money why did the RFL have to take over the lease?

Not having any income from food and alcohol is a huge financial black hole for any club.

If you think that the Bulls are only paying £2,000 a game for Dewsbury ground let me know what you are smoking as i would like some

1. The head lease with the council was less than the commercial sub let lease from the RFL.  You are confused with your analysis.  The sale of the lease was not about the ability to pay it (peppercorn) it was about cash flow elsewhere and it was sold as an asset.  Our rent went UP.

2. You have no knowledge whatsoever as to the commercial game day arrangements.

3.The game day rental amount is now in the public domain. See 2.

You know nowt.

Odsal is not suitable for professional sport.

Odsal is not suitable for spectators,players,sponsors or the media.

I dont know what will happen but at least someone has made a decision. I hope someone makes a similar decision re the groundsat Castleford and Wakefield. I have hope for Wakefield,little for Castleford.

6 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Those figures keep being bandied about but I don't think that they are directly comparable. The £2k quoted, if it is correct, is simply a rental charge which should be compared with the £72 pa that they have been paying at Odsal. There is a bland assumption being made that the Bulls won't have to make any contributions to ground and pitch maintenance but would this actually be the case? AC has already commented about significan changes needing to be made to the bar and catering facilities - Dewsbury won't be paying for any of this. Add in considerable additional costs on match days and the cost to Bradford will start to significantly exceed £2k. None of us has any idea what the real costs will be.

If I were a betting man I would hazard ten bob on the Bulls playing in Bradford next season.

It was Mick G who quoted those numbers. On that basis alone I have no doubt that they are absolute tosh.

Just now, fairfolly said:

D.K.W.

Follow Measts posts, The Future is League, The Cougar. All quite obviously detest the Bradford club.

Have they said they want bulls to go under? Or want to see no rl in Bradford? 

I would assume that Bradford will have to pay for any extra maintenance etc. costs and any costs needed to enlarge the Bar and Catering facilities, and so they should do. As I posted earlier Mark Sawyer and Andrew Chalmers are not fools, any extra costs to the Dewsbury club will be met by Bradford Bulls. As for the rent,some posters on here seem to know what it is, but I certainly have not seen any official confirmation.

10 minutes ago, cookey said:

Odsal is not suitable for professional sport.

Odsal is not suitable for spectators,players,sponsors or the media.

I dont know what will happen but at least someone has made a decision. I hope someone makes a similar decision re the groundsat Castleford and Wakefield. I have hope for Wakefield,little for Castleford.

Which ground would you suggest they share ?

It’s worrying to see them leave the city but their options to return are limited and aren’t great

I know Bradford Park Avenue are ambitious but I can only see major developments to Horsfall if they get to the FL which looks a million miles away since they are bottom of National League North.

Valley Parade looks like the best option (it’s in better shape than Odsal) but it wouldn’t make financial sense to leave Odsal because of running/ maintenance costs to move to VP and pay high rent.

The third option is to find a magic money tree and build a new stadium.

IMO Bradford isn’t big enough to have 2 major sports stadiums and unfortunately both the Bulls and City are not rich or successful clubs.

Archived