WHATS GOING ON AT ODSAL

• Replies 937
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You only have to read this thread to see that some have no sympathy for the bulls (contrast that with the full throated defence of Leigh or fev or others who have suffered financial problems by many of the same posters)

You can see it from the desperation many have to use this as an chance to settle old.scores and air old grievances. 

This idea that Bradford need to live within their means is part of it. Its painting them as icarus flying to close to the sun and their fall is somehow deserved. What are Bradford's means? If they paid out 0 in wages this year and got crowds congruent with that outlay and made an even bigger loss what then? Their fixed costs dont change. Do they sack off odsal and go to horsfall? How do they deal with the loss of income there?

You say they need to learn their lesson, who learns that lesson? The fans? New owners who weren't there before?

They take part in a largely part time division, they have a squad containing 22 FT players, and you expect the supporters of clubs that live within their means, to have some sympathy for them? 

Why may I ask, should any of the other clubs have sympathy for them mismanaging the club?

If the rumours are correct, it is poor management at best, cheating the system at worst. Any one of Barrow, Dewsbury or Batley could conceivably be relegated this season. They have played by the rules regarding the salary cap, and financially managed to live within their means AFAIK, on a fraction of the salary that Bradford have spent. Yet, we should somehow feel sorry for Bradford? When the teams that have played by the rules and done the right things, will be the ones facing gates of 400 and oblivion in L1. 

Any of the 3 clubs mentioned could have easily spent money they did not have, to bring in x number of full time players, as Bradford have done, to avoid their current predicament and buy safety. Spending what you don't have isn't difficult.

If these 3 clubs had taken that approach and found themselves in a financial mess afterwards, would you feel sympathetic towards them too? Or would you be spouting your usual tripe, about how everything below SL should be sent to the wall with no funding? They make the game look amateurish and will never have the financial clout of Leeds, so why bother with them?

I have many friends who are Bradford fans, I feel for them and all Bulls fans, I really do! They are not to blame for this mess. But asking people to feel sympathetic towards a club with more resources than most, that cannot live within its means is extracting the urine.

Just as a side note:- I was under the impression the RFL was ratifying all signings this season, so how are Bradford in financial trouble with such checks in place? 

On 30/07/2019 at 15:32, Konkrete said:

Haters gonna hate. 

Read the post again calmly. You might understand the focus better. 

Oh, and I know very well Wilson is from Halifax. Some clubs don’t...

#huddersfieldborn

49282A8A-7F9B-4369-BB62-E3649B018680.jpeg

#HuddersfieldBorn is a hashtag the club have been using all season and encourage the fans to use it.

It's got nothing to with Oliver Wilson or any other player that wasn't born in Huddersfield.

11 hours ago, Trojan said:

Distributing discounted tickets in Batley, Dewsbury, Halifax and Keighley is hardly behaviour likely to enamour them to fans of the said clubs.  Saying things like "Bradford and Featherstone" should never be spoken in the same breath was another own goal.  When the Bulls got into trouble many fans I spoke to said "serves them right"   They are not top of most non Bulls fans pops.

Handing out free tickets to people going to a game as well!

But because it's Bradford and we all loved them it's alright, imagine if Wigan had done that?

I can probably say that not many Giants fans over 25 are shedding tears over the demise of "the people's club" if that makes us bad people then so be it.

We had to endure years of ridicule and disgusting stuff thrown about from the terraces at Odsal, as I said previously, what goes around comes around etc.

Oh and I, like many other Huddersfield fans put my hands in my pockets and helped to fill those collection buckets, and despite this, we still got stuff thrown at us from the Bradford fans, not very nice when you're trying to help them out.

There's only so many times people are willing to help out a chronically mismanaged club out.

I thought the salary cap in the Championship worked on the basis that you had to agree a level with the RFL at the start of the season based on what should be sustainable for projected income/outgoings - hence the subsequent block on a transfer which would have taken them over that

Hence, in theory, barring any unexpected changes in either income or outgoings they should already be living within their means, 22 full-time players or not. Unless someone has told a few porkies or the RFL (or whoever does the salary cap audit) have competency issues of course

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You only have to read this thread to see that some have no sympathy for the bulls (contrast that with the full throated defence of Leigh or fev or others who have suffered financial problems by many of the same posters)

You can see it from the desperation many have to use this as an chance to settle old.scores and air old grievances. 

This idea that Bradford need to live within their means is part of it. Its painting them as icarus flying to close to the sun and their fall is somehow deserved. What are Bradford's means? If they paid out 0 in wages this year and got crowds congruent with that outlay and made an even bigger loss what then? Their fixed costs dont change. Do they sack off odsal and go to horsfall? How do they deal with the loss of income there?

You say they need to learn their lesson, who learns that lesson? The fans? New owners who weren't there before?

Can I just say, as a Bradford Bulls fan (season ticket holder) myself, you're not helping the situation.

4 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

No doubt the owners carried out due diligence before buying the franchise from the wreckage of the previous club, so must have felt able to carry on successfully with such overheads.

For 3 years.Drama out of nothing - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/05/new-bradford-bulls-owners-have-to-make-three-year-fixture-pledge

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I think the current upheaval is all to do with an overall financial issue, not just the club's financial issue.

The council and the RFL are in negotiations over the sale of commercial land sat right next to a motorway junction. Irrespective of its own financial efficiency, the club is piggy-in-the-middle.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

36 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

I think the current upheaval is all to do with an overall financial issue, not just the club's financial issue.

The council and the RFL are in negotiations over the sale of commercial land sat right next to a motorway junction. Irrespective of its own financial efficiency, the club is piggy-in-the-middle.

That's one of the funniest excuses I've ever seen......

46 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah, your posts on expansion clubs and here arguing against an RL club getting help do not show you to support the broad church of RL. Just a very narrow parish.

Quote my posts on expansion clubs, other than Toronto. Quote my posts on giving help to Bradford except in the context of the council's responsibility to all it's 540000 residents.

11 minutes ago, Moove said:

Looks like the CCJs were 'an accident', no financial issues and a decision on Odsal due in the next two weeks...

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/17807335.bradford-bulls-chairman-sets-two-week-deadline-decide-stadium-39-s-future/

so a rehash of last weeks moans it is then . a move to Dewsbury looks a good option as unlike valley parade the pitch is long enough for rugby league

12 minutes ago, Hemi4561 said:

Quote my posts on expansion clubs, other than Toronto. Quote my posts on giving help to Bradford except in the context of the council's responsibility to all it's 540000 residents.

Or better still, have Scotchy quote his posts on giving help to the 'broad church of RL' that exists outside SL.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That's one of the funniest excuses I've ever seen......

It's not funny. I think Chalmers is weighing in because to lose the ground would be to lose additional and ancillary income that is available to the club (and himself obviously).

• We host the Gay Pride event and the stadium has been used for film sets. We could put on one-day or weekend music festivals.
  • The Coral Stand is actually a large modern corporate-hospitality facility with only a couple of hundred seats. It would make a great Conference venue and I honestly don't know why its not used as a disco-club every Friday and Saturday night; it's got a huge carpark and few neighours.
  • There was certainly a proposal to bring back speedway round the pitch but I think it would actually be an ideal greyhound track ... open several nights a week.

12 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

They take part in a largely part time division, they have a squad containing 22 FT players, and you expect the supporters of clubs that live within their means, to have some sympathy for them? 

Why may I ask, should any of the other clubs have sympathy for them mismanaging the club?

If the rumours are correct, it is poor management at best, cheating the system at worst. Any one of Barrow, Dewsbury or Batley could conceivably be relegated this season. They have played by the rules regarding the salary cap, and financially managed to live within their means AFAIK, on a fraction of the salary that Bradford have spent. Yet, we should somehow feel sorry for Bradford? When the teams that have played by the rules and done the right things, will be the ones facing gates of 400 and oblivion in L1. 

Any of the 3 clubs mentioned could have easily spent money they did not have, to bring in x number of full time players, as Bradford have done, to avoid their current predicament and buy safety. Spending what you don't have isn't difficult.

If these 3 clubs had taken that approach and found themselves in a financial mess afterwards, would you feel sympathetic towards them too? Or would you be spouting your usual tripe, about how everything below SL should be sent to the wall with no funding? They make the game look amateurish and will never have the financial clout of Leeds, so why bother with them?

I have many friends who are Bradford fans, I feel for them and all Bulls fans, I really do! They are not to blame for this mess. But asking people to feel sympathetic towards a club with more resources than most, that cannot live within its means is extracting the urine.

Just as a side note:- I was under the impression the RFL was ratifying all signings this season, so how are Bradford in financial trouble with such checks in place? 

Very good post.BUT bearing in mind that you are talking to Scotchy, I'm afraid you are wasting your breath.

"Nobody has ever been able to solve the question of how you make occupancy at Odsal sustainable."  So says Mr Chambers.

In other words Odsal has always been unsustainable. Is that true?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It’s rather sad that it’s got to the stage that the RFL has to babysit clubs and their finances re. whether they can afford to bring players in. 

At Odsal, the RFL has to safeguard its investment.

Mind you, I somehow doubt that Ralph Rimmer is a financial whizzkid.

29 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

At Odsal, the RFL has to safeguard its investment.

Mind you, I somehow doubt that Ralph Rimmer is a financial whizzkid.

If the Bulls are locked into a long-term lease for Odsal then moving away won't help them much. Legally they'd still be obliged to pay the rent for Odsal until the expiry of the lease whether they play there or not.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

But as soon as the RFL got involved with Odsal, they created a conflict of Interest which no other club has.

This thing about the "player ban". Whoever leaked it, put the right amount of negative spin on it, at just the right time to maximise the damage done. Obviously SL has it's own cap, but the championship clubs all negotiate their individual season cap - so technically, all championship clubs have a player ban once they reach their cap level. To go above that, they just have to convince the RFL on a case-by-case basis, that they can afford it. Same for Bradford.

It wouldn't surprise me that the discussions underway re the stadium could have an impact on the RFL decision to not sign off on a Bradford request.

Archived