Top 5 games you've seen live.

Watching and playing for over 30 years I have seen some games that still make my hair stand up on my neck and arms.

But which are your top 3 games you've been to (actually in the ground not on TV) mine are as follows

3. Leeds v St Helens - not 100% sure on the year but Danny McGuire came off the bench to turn the game, Leeds were losing 8-20 with about 15 to go and ended up winning 30-20.

2. Leeds v Wigan 2015 final. Great end to the career of 2 legends JP and Subfield.

1. Leeds v Bradford - Magic Weekend number 1 - Gansonsgate incident. The finish to that game was awesome.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In no particular order, five games that stand out for me are,

• England v NZ in the 2013 World Cup semi final. I genuinely thought I'd grown out of getting wound-up by sports results until that game. 
  • St Helens v Leeds in the 2015 play-offs. The Kop end at Knowsley was bouncing that game. 
  • Leeds v Wigan in the 1999 Challenge Cup, where McDermott was send-off after about 20 mins. 
  • GB v Australia in the 2003 Ashes series (the one where Morley snotted Robbie Kearns).
  • The 1998 play-off semi at Wigan - I think I fell forward about 12 rows when Godden went over. 

2013 World Cup Semi Final - most heartbreaking game ever.

2008 WC Final in Brisbane - a bucket-list kind of event for me. Loved every second of it. 

2009 Challenge Cup Semi Final - Wire v Wigan at Widnes. As good as the finals are, semi finals are amazing, and to beat Wigan like we did to make it to Wembley for the first time in almost 20 years was brilliant - and then we won!

1995 World Cup at Wilderspool, Tonga v New Zealand - you finally started to realise that there could be more to international RL than GB, Oz and NZ - hearing 8k locals chanting for Tonga was great.

2009 - Catalans v Wire in Barcelona. Another historic game. Great crowd, great weekend, Wire won!

These are the most memorable games I have seen live.

1985 Challenge Cup Final... Wigan vs. Hull FC

1987 World Club Challenge... Wigan vs. Manly

1986 Kangaroo Tour... Wigan vs. Australia 

1989 World Club Challenge... Widnes vs. Canberra 

1984 Lancashire Cup Final... Wigan vs. St Helens 

The World Club Challenge games and the '85 Cup Final are iconic. 

The '86 Kangaroo game at Central Park was the first time I got to see the Australian team play live and it was a great game.

The '84 Lancashire Cup Final was my first ever game... and i was hooked from the very first second and Rugby League has been my game ever since.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1995 - NZ 25 v Tonga 24. Dave T describes above.

2006 - Leeds 17-18 Wire. First playoff game Warrington won. Last minute Briers dropgoal ,Western Terrace almost collapsed.

Warrington 39-26 Wigan. Challenge cup semi. Had everything this - scuffles, big hits, great tries. First time Wire had got to Wembley in a generation.

GB 20-12 Aus. 2012. All about Sculthorpe this one.

Hull 12 - 10 Warrington. CC Final 2016. Ugh. There is a myth that the only good cup finals there have ever been were 1985 and 1998, but this was a stone-cold classic. Two brilliant and completely different hookers at the top of their game, great tries and memorable moments. Just the wrong result when the hooter went.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5. 2019 Leeds vs Cas 21-20 Brad Dwyer drop goal. Best I've felt at Headingley in a long while and very much needed.

4. Going to cheat a bit here and say the 2013 WC overall. Went to the two openers in Cardiff, both games at Headingley and the final and enjoyed all of them. 

3. 2014 Challenge Cup Final Leeds vs Cas - having been to the previous 3? with Leeds and seen us lose every time it was fantastic to get the Wembley Hoodoo off our back and was extra sweet against Cas.

2. 2015 Grand Final Leeds v Wigan. Great send off for the legends fantastic atmosphere and a really good contest.

1. 2015 play off Semi Final Leeds vs St Helens. Without a doubt the best atmosphere I've experienced at Headingley and was such an emotionally charged game.

As an aside I think what this shows for me is that other than WCs, the games I've enjoyed the most aren't where my team have romped to victory. Close games are very good yes, but I think the atmosphere and emotional investment in the game is what takes my favourites to another level for me. Had I been at them live I'd have added the 2017 grand final, 2015 LLS win at Huddersfield, as well as the runs to the GF in 2011 and 2012 from 5th. Also of course the 2013 & 2017 semi finals as well as of course the World Cup final defeat.

Like I said, having considered it, the best games are usually those that combine emotion, closeness and importance to the club and season to produce the most memorable atmospheres for me.

1978 Wire v Australia.  Beating the tourists was a massive achievement for any club or for even GB in those days. 

1987 Wigan v Manly .  The manner in which Wigan beat Manly infront of over 30,000 at Central Park.

1995 NZ v Tonga, wow what a game Tonga nearly did it untill the dying minutes.

2009 Wire v Wigan CC semi.  Enough said.

2009 Wire v Hudds CC final.  Mainly due to the fact it had been 35 years since the last cup victory.

Great Britain v Australia 1992 world cup final at Wembley we lost 10 - 6

Eagles v Salford CC semi 1998

Eagles v Wigan CC final 1998

Eagles v Widnes SBC 1989 week after Widnes won world challenge

Huddersfield v York Yorkshire cup last game at Fartown  

Chief Crazy Eagle

4 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

In no particular order, five games that stand out for me are,

• England v NZ in the 2013 World Cup semi final. I genuinely thought I'd grown out of getting wound-up by sports results until that game. 
  • St Helens v Leeds in the 2015 play-offs. The Kop end at Knowsley was bouncing that game. 
  • Leeds v Wigan in the 1999 Challenge Cup, where McDermott was send-off after about 20 mins. 
  • GB v Australia in the 2003 Ashes series (the one where Morley snotted Robbie Kearns).
  • The 1998 play-off semi at Wigan - I think I fell forward about 12 rows when Godden went over. 

England v NZ at Wembley was a good one, I was there,I had a bet with both sides drawing at half time and if England had have won I would have got £100,but had to settle for £80

1978 GB v Australia (Dads Army test team)

1992 Yorkshire Cup Final Wakefield v Sheffield. (We actually won something !)

2006 Wakefield v Castleford (so called £1 Million game)

2011 BARLA National Cup Final Sharlston v Fryston

2016 !st State of Origin at ANZ ( Game was ok but atmosphere before during and after was something else)

Wigan v Hull   1985 Cup Final

Aus v GB         1992 Melbourne Test

Whitehaven v Workington   1993  0-0 draw

GB v Aus   1994 Wembley

GB v Aus   1992 RLWC Final

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Most memorable games - perhaps not the best quality though.

Leeds v Wakey Boxing Day 1961.  Wakey won, first game of live RL I ever saw.

Fev v Hull Wembley 1983 - for obvious reasons

Fev v 'Fax Regal Trophy November 1991, Fev won with 12 men.

Cas v Wigan  Regal Trophy Final 1994.  Cas destroyed them.

England v NZ WC 2013.  Brilliant game.  Heartbreak for England.  NZ obviously gave their all too.  Oz destroyed them the following week.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1.  Fev v Leeds Challenge Cup 3rd round 1976

2. GB v Australia Wembley 1994 Ashes 1st test 

3. Fev v Bradford N Wembley 1973 Challenge Cup Final

4. Fev 25 V 24 Hull KR (can't remember year, but what a game capped off with Jeff Townend kicking a touchline conversion on the hooter to win the game)

5. GB v Australia 1982 Boothferry Park. Max Krilich and his Aussies showing how the game could be played.

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Top five:

Wigan v manly. My far my favourite game ever. Hard hitting, anything goes rugby. The ref (holdsworth I think it was) was biased towards wigan imo, and let a lot of biff go unnoticed, prob the last time a ref was biased towards an English team against the Aussies.

89 cc final, wigan 27 saints 0. Driving home on the coach singing 'have a scrike' to all the saints fans crying on the way home. 27 has been my favourite number since.

Gb v Australia, 2003 dw stadium. Adrian Morley getting sent off after 12 seconds. Cost us the game but looking back now, I say good on you moz.

Wigan v Sheffield cc final. I was there, gutted for my team but made up for Sheffield at the time. I went to Sheffield away the week after and the place was buzzing. Shame they collapsed soon after.

Wigan Catalans at nou camp. Not because of the game obviously. But that place is just amazing. Please, our sport needs to go back there in which ever guise.

2003 BARLA Nat Cup final Seeing my  hometown club finally lifting the trophy with a last minute try finally seeing off a great Oldham St Annes side 25-19 at Blackpool,what a great 3 day party afterwards.

1989 Challenge Cup Final,First time watching Wigan at Wembley and a Ellery Hanley masterclass in a 27-0 hammering of Saints

2017 World Cup Final at Suncorp,yeah we lost but what a night, both the match and Caxton Street afterwards.

2015 Brisbane V Roosters,first visit to Suncorp.Heartbreak being a Roosters fan after Ben Hunt scored a great golden point try after Maloney had hit the woodwork twice with DG attempts

1990 GB V Aust 2nd test at Old Trafford.I thought we had them till Ricky Stuart and big Mal combined in the closing minute to end our hopes.

Chronologically:-

• Wigan v Featherstone Rovers - January, 1964.  My first ever, live game.  I was told to watch out for a winger called Boston.  he didn't disappoint scoring the opening try in a Wigan win.
  • Wigan v St Helens - February, 1965.  Challenge Cup 2nd round, with over 39,000 packed into Central Park.  Wigan won 7-2, with the only try coming when McTigue half-broke and managed to offload to Roy Evans in support who galloped from about the halfway line to touch down!
  • Wigan v Swinton at Knowsley Road - April, 1965.  The Challenge Cup semi-final, two rounds after the St Helens success.  A 25-10 Wigan victory to set up the great final against Hunslet.  Trevor Lake sped in from the touchline to leave Swinton's great fullback, Ken Gowers, flat-footed - no easy feat!
  • Scotland v New Zealand - November, 2013.  Scotland lost, of course, but a great atmosphere inside Headingley with about 16,000 in attendance.  Alex Szostak played off the bench for Scotland.  His mum and dad were former work colleagues of mine.
  • Catalans Dragons v Warrington - August, 2018.  My first time at Wembley for a rugby match.  Great result for me (as a Dragons' fan) and for the game.  Great day out all round.

In terms of what they meant for me, the order would be:-

1. Catalans v Wire
  2. Wigan v St Helens
  3. Wigan v Swinton
  4. Scotland v New Zealand
  5. Wigan v Featherstone

Well, as a relatively new RL fan (saw my first match in 2014 and started attending regularly when the Wolfpack started in 2017), I'm clearly only entitled to list one memorable game, so here goes:

2018 Summer Bash: Wolfpack 28, Leigh 26

We were thinking we were headed for a loss until the Pack stormed back late in the game to take the lead, and then the controversial missed penalty kick by Leigh as time ran out sealed the win.

It was great fun to watch the game with the modest bunch of Toronto fans - a few of us genuine away fans from Toronto! - and really one of the most exciting sporting events I have attended in my life (right up there with the Blue Jays' Bat Flip ALDS game and the Canadian women's hockey gold medal victory over the US in 2014).

Archived