Top 5 games you've seen live.

The two games I wish I was at:

1994 Would Club Challenge Brisbane Wigan

1992 Second ashes test in Melbourne

The only risk is I may have drunk myself into a coma!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

The two games I wish I was at:

1994 Would Club Challenge Brisbane Wigan

1992 Second ashes test in Melbourne

The only risk is I may have drunk myself into a coma!

Went to 1985 Challenge Cup Final; 1987 WCC and 1992 WC Final.

Never seen England or GB beat shackle draggers in a final or a series sadly.

No particular order.

1. CC Final 1886 Cas 15-14 Hull KR.  Not a great game but those last few minutes lasted a lifetime.  Nerve shredding when John Dorahy missed the conversion that would have won the game for Rovers.  Probably won’t see Cas win at Wembley again.

2. Play off semi final Cas 25 -24 St Helens an absolutely belting game.  When a Morgan scored with a couple of minutes I just got off the sofa and sat in the corner of the room with my head in my hands.

3. GB v Australia 2003 at Wigan.  A horrific smash on the M62 turned a 2 hour journey into a 5 hour slog to get to the game.  Just sat down as Morley was marching off the field.  If you watch the video Morley connected with Kearns after 5 seconds, not 12 seconds.

4. Regal Trophy Final Cas 33-2 Wigan.  Wigan were such a great team that even a lead of 19-2 at half time didn’t stop me from thinking we might still lose this.  Still remember reading a Jimmy Greaves weekly column in the paper a day or so after the game when he used to highlight the best performance that weekend of a football team but devoted the column to Cas.

5. GB v Australia 1990 at Old Trafford.  The best test match I have ever seen and we came so close to winning the Ashes.  Till the day I die, and probably way beyond that, I will still believe that Hanley should have told Paul Loughlin to take the conversion, instead of Eastwood, after Loughlin had scored the interception try.

One of the most moving was Wigan 16 Hunslet 19, Central Park, April 14 1985.

Hunslet were already relegated, and Wigan, Brett Kenny and all were about to win their first CC in 20 years and everything else for the next ten.

Decent crowd that day, probably the biggest they had ever played in front of. We came expecting a comfortable win. But Hunslet played really, really well. They tackled like demons and made every inch of every advantage. And we were just off. Got a really bad feeling we were going to be turned over, which just grew and grew. 

The reaction at the hooter was priceless. Hunslet players and staff hugging and going to their small band of fans celebrating, knowing it was all ultimately futile and pointless anyway, but that they had done something of which they could never have been expected to do, and would never do again on such a stage.

We went on to bigger and better things, and they didn't, but we had been there before. A day for them, their mates, and their fans which can never be gain said. Maybe it will come round again?

My top five:

1. Barrow 12 v Widnes  8 1983 LC Final at Central Park. Enough said really.

2. Hunslet 40 v Barrow 41 Elland Road September 1984. 40-29 down with 5 minutes to go. Amazing finish to a game which former referee Billy Thompson described as "a load of rubbish" summarising on radio Leeds. Both teams were relegated that year, needless to say.

3. Wigan 28 v Hull 24 1985 CC Final. Went with my best mate at school. Great game for a neutral.

4. Wigan 20 v St Helens 14 1990 CC Semi Final.  Great game, very tense and Super Les got the try of the match.

5. Leeds 90 v Barrow 0 February 11 1990. When you support a team as ###### as Barrow are at their worst, results like this are always possible. Had this been a routine 60 point drubbing it wouldn't have been memorable at all. But fair play to the lads, they stuck at it, showed admirable resolve and managed to go for more than a point a minute and a thoroughly deserved record defeat.

7 hours ago, Raumati Rugby said:

My fave 3 games, in no particular order are:

Sunday, February 27th, 2005 London v Wakefield. 72-8

Sunday, September 18th, 2005 London v Widnes 68-10

Saturday, March 14th, 2009 London v Warrington 60-8.......this game was notable because Wire then turned a corner and started winning cups and a Warrington fan tried to set fire to his shirt in protest at their poor showing.

Luke Dorn scored 7 tries in these 3 games BTW....

It was a long, long drive home that day. 

11 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Never seen England or GB beat shackle draggers in a final or a series sadly.

Me too. They say the longer the wait the better the feeling... it had bloody better be!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I went to Alt Park in 1982 when Carlisle visited. Stepping off the supporters' bus was a real 'Neil Armstrong moment'.

Except Neil didn't have a group of scallys offering to 'mind' his moon buggy for a couple of quid?

13 hours ago, dixiedean said:

One of the most moving was Wigan 16 Hunslet 19, Central Park, April 14 1985.

Hunslet were already relegated, and Wigan, Brett Kenny and all were about to win their first CC in 20 years and everything else for the next ten.

Decent crowd that day, probably the biggest they had ever played in front of. We came expecting a comfortable win. But Hunslet played really, really well. They tackled like demons and made every inch of every advantage. And we were just off. Got a really bad feeling we were going to be turned over, which just grew and grew. 

The reaction at the hooter was priceless. Hunslet players and staff hugging and going to their small band of fans celebrating, knowing it was all ultimately futile and pointless anyway, but that they had done something of which they could never have been expected to do, and would never do again on such a stage.

We went on to bigger and better things, and they didn't, but we had been there before. A day for them, their mates, and their fans which can never be gain said. Maybe it will come round again?

I went l think.

Didn't Wigan get booed off at full time having been on a training camp in Blackpool which apparently was more of a team-bonding jolly?❓

14 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

I went l think.

Didn't Wigan get booed off at full time having been on a training camp in Blackpool which apparently was more of a team-bonding jolly?❓

Remember the booing. Looking back at the records, though, it was our ninth game in 23 days! Not sure they'd have had the time to get to Blackpool!

1992 GB v Australia, Carlton Park, Melbourne (amazing game but the support was bonkers)

1999 Broncos v Cas, CC semi (one word, Steele)

2007 St Albans v Coventry, Harry Jepson Final (reward for a lot of hard work)

2013 England v NZ, WC semi (great game, result aside and son was mascot walking out with Super Bennie 1)

2019 Broncos v Saints part 1 (drop goal, felt like doing an Erica Roe)

13 hours ago, Raumati Rugby said:

Saturday, March 14th, 2009 London v Warrington 60-8....... and a Warrington fan tried to set fire to his shirt in protest at their poor showing.

That was hilarious ! I am sure he'll be a happy bunny now though

44 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

Remember the booing. Looking back at the records, though, it was our ninth game in 23 days! Not sure they'd have had the time to get to Blackpool!

Ah yes it was after the snow of winter 1985...March?

Which reminds me: Kenny n Ferguson (absolute legends) only played together for 1 calendar month in January 1985.

8 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

1992 GB v Australia, Carlton Park, Melbourne (amazing game but the support was bonkers)

1999 Broncos v Cas, CC semi (one word, Steele)

2007 St Albans v Coventry, Harry Jepson Final (reward for a lot of hard work)

2013 England v NZ, WC semi (great game, result aside and son was mascot walking out with Super Bennie 1)

2019 Broncos v Saints part 1 (drop goal, felt like doing an Erica Roe)

Went to 1999 CC semi.

Amazing.

Richard Branson was involved at the Broncos.

1. 2013 RLWC Semi Final - Just awesome

2. GB v Aus Sydney 2006 - What a privilege to be there!

3. GB v Aus Old Trafford 1986 - First introduction to a huge international atmosphere

4. Fra v Tonga, Carcassonne 2000 RLWC - 10k there and a great experience sampling French RL

5. 2006 Tri Nations Final - Stacy Jones hits the post in normal time and Lockyer wins it in GP

Leigh v Leeds Wembley '71, for obvious reasons.

Aus v GB Melbourne '92, not a close game but boy was it a pleasure to be there.

Leigh East v Bradforn Northern CC 1991

Wigan v Manley '86

GB v NZ Third test '85, 6 point draw, a young Lee Crooks kicked a penalty from way out in the dying minutes to secure the draw, for me this was the last of an era of "test matches" it was contested as though it was warfare, the game today is far to sanitised to ever see it's like again.

1973 Dewsbury beating  Leeds of course to win the Championship at Odsal

1978 Dewsbury 8 St Helens 11 CCQF and 10,000 packed into Crown Flatt to see us come back from an 11-0 half time deficit and pound their defence for all its worth (especially Harry Beverley’s knees scattering the defence for our first try)

GB v Oz 1986 and Joe Lydon scoring at the Stretford End

Dewsbury 1 York 0 in the mid 70’s - despite the scoreline it was an exciting game!

finally us beating Leeds again in late ‘78 in D1 when we had not won a game all season and Syd Hynes  confidently expected a 30 point hammering - the joy of a Phil Artis orchestrated 18-12 win was priceless and is once again why we all love this game!

Archived