Featherstone (H)

Wakefield Ram

Well these tend to be close games or comfortable wins for Fev. Still remember Thackeray dropping a goal for a one point win a few seasons ago. Also remember Deryck Fox ducking under a couple of tackles for a late try to win back in 1985 our last season in the top flight. We will have to play a lot better than at Rochdale to have any chance.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Well these tend to be close games or comfortable wins for Fev. Still remember Thackeray dropping a goal for a one point win a few seasons ago. Also remember Deryck Fox ducking under a couple of tackles for a late try to win back in 1985 our last season in the top flight. We will have to play a lot better than at Rochdale to have any chance.

We are definitely capable of winning this one but they will be after revenge after we took  the points at their gaff and I would be very pleased and mildly surprised if we pull it off..

39 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Just read coolie's post on Fev Forum about Steve Dickens last minute touchline penalty but better than that Kevin Crouthers winning drop goal from 40 metres out. Think it was the only one he ever kicked.

When I saw Kevin Crouthers line up the drop goal attempt I shouted “No, Kev, no”. He took no notice, but I was pleased about that. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

11 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

When I saw Kevin Crouthers line up the drop goal attempt I shouted “No, Kev, no”. He took no notice, but I was pleased about that. 

Your powers of prediction never wane CF, thankfully.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

51 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I remember the Stuart Dickens winning goal. Colin Morris had time to comb his hair again before Finn had played the ball.???

I haven't read Coolie's post (which thread?) but Dicken's kick wasn't from the touchline; it was from a more comfortable position altogether - he could have backheeled it over.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 minute ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Must be age playing tricks, I remember it as on front of the main stand about 40 metres out near the touchline. Maybe someone has the video somewhere.

Well you've just forgotten you've already posted the same thing so ...   :kolobok_smile3:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

36 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Must be age playing tricks, I remember it as on front of the main stand about 40 metres out near the touchline. Maybe someone has the video somewhere.

That’s where I remember it being from. 

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I haven't read Coolie's post (which thread?) but Dicken's kick wasn't from the touchline; it was from a more comfortable position altogether - he could have backheeled it over.

Its on Fev forum under the Leigh v Widnes post BSJ. Ive got the video and it was near the touchline. But with Dewsbury having a narrower ground than most it did look like it was under the post????

2 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Its on Fev forum under the Leigh v Widnes post BSJ. Ive got the video and it was near the touchline. But with Dewsbury having a narrower ground than most it did look like it was under the post????

No, the video must be wrong. It was at least 10m infield. I remember Finn flopping to the ground after the Fev player had hauled him to his feet (which I thought should have been a penalty to us by the way) and it certainly didn't seem to be on the touchline from my vantage point in the South Stand.

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

No, the video must be wrong. It was at least 10m infield. I remember Finn flopping to the ground after the Fev player had hauled him to his feet (which I thought should have been a penalty to us by the way) and it certainly didn't seem to be on the touchline from my vantage point in the South Stand.

Ill watch it again later. I can recall that there was a post blocking the view on the video. Anyway it was a hard call against Dewsbury at the time. It takes some teams an age to get back to the centre mark after opponents have scored late on to get back into the game. All the ref needs to do is raise his arms to stop the clock. Its an interesting thought but is there any thing in the rules to say how fast you have to be to play the ball? We have stop clocks for drop outs and scrums and kicks at goal but what is the time limit for playing the ball? Interesting.??

6 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Thought someone in Fev might have the video ??

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Posh side of Fev if you dont mind, Sharlston. We have running hot water and gas cookers??????

I can't believe the memories some of these old codgers have .

I don't know what I had for dinner last night.

I do know I had a lovely bottle of red last Saturday.LOL

46 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

Old codgers? Then who is the Gittins, of whom you are a fan?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

9 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Certain rugby memories seem engraved in the brain.  Perhaps more than many other life memories?

It’s a thread that could run and run but certainly two on my strongest ones are the two in this thread. One because it was so ace (Kevs drop goal).  Dickens presumably because it was so traumatic.  

One of my earliest memories is jumping the fence at odsal in 1973.  I’ll stop there as it’s off thread. 

19 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

It was on the main stand side 30 meters out 2 meters in from touch.

I can see it in my memory...

Don't ask me what I had for tea last Wednesday...no chance of remembering that.

1 hour ago, NickD said:

Certain rugby memories seem engraved in the brain.  Perhaps more than many other life memories?

It’s a thread that could run and run but certainly two on my strongest ones are the two in this thread. One because it was so ace (Kevs drop goal).  Dickens presumably because it was so traumatic.  

One of my earliest memories is jumping the fence at odsal in 1973.  I’ll stop there as it’s off thread. 

I agree about the rugby memories.Some of mine go back to the early sixties.Maybe supporting Batley and Dewsbury the highlights are so few and far betwwen, they are more easily remembered.

Perhaps we should all get together and write a book.LOL.

5 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

That's like saying you come from the posh side of Batley ??

It's called Dewsbury.  ?

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Back to the thread.

I predict a battling performance from "plucky little Dewsbury" resulting in a comfortable victory for Fev.

Rams 16 - 32 Flatcappers

Att: 1350

Archived