3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

29 minutes ago, Teessidewire said:

Don’t be so stupid. Chris Hill, Stef Ratchford and a couple of others were trying to calm the crowd down. Hill shouted to the ref “My family’s up there.” James Child completely lost control. Catalans players were continually talking to him throughout the game. At one time he told them to move back 5-6 times and was ignored.

and yet he penalised them quite a few times for speaking and arguing back....

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, redjonn said:

personally I didn't think the ref had a that bad a game. Their was the normal few mistakes that could be picked up on the replays plus as I commented before he calmly, methodically and with patience handled the heated situations plus penalised players for speaking out of turn.   

The last ugly instance, he immediately blow the whistle for the high tackle and the touch judges came on... he clearly indicated a high tackle and was ready to punish the player,,,,,, what else was he supposed to do tackle the players looking for a fight... 

This is where I also have sympathy. The players are literally just ignoring him. I wonder what he is meant to do. And the answer cant be about the previous 79 minutes. The game was still on and the players need to listen to the officials.

Hmm. Sort of wishing I hadn't turned off after 77 minutes and Catalans' last try.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Just now, Just Browny said:

Hmm. Sort of wishing I hadn't turned off after 77 minutes and Catalans' last try.

Dont bother going back to watch it mate.

I am interested to see it again as it was all so fast moving, but tbh, I think I am done with it I cant see how seeing it again is going to do anything positive for my mood!!!

39 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think Barnyia takes his kids into Puig Aubert so he’ll give us the truth.

Very drunk English fans and firey French who feel ripped off all the time by the réf doesn't help, à couple of weeks ago v hull  it was the same, à few hull fans screaming and shouting and as some people say a bit of banter and the French just chucked beer at them and it kicked off, the French don't mess about with pushing and shoving they just jump straight in and think later, 

I don't like going in the stand behind the posts as it's a great atmosphere at the beginning and hostile at the end, bein sports are looking for an excuse to stop screening the super league, they may have now found it 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

This is where I also have sympathy. The players are literally just ignoring him. I wonder what he is meant to do. And the answer cant be about the previous 79 minutes. The game was still on and the players need to listen to the officials.

Only other option was to dish out more cards at the end. But in reality wouldn’t make a difference as disciplinary process now will be able to pick up anything he’s missed 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Wolf said:

Well unfortunately todays game will be remembered for scenes on and off the pitch.

Warrington probably lost the game with the poor tackle discipline with Patton and Philbin rightly being penalised at least 5 between them.  Yet Childs let Catalan get away with the bullying and late flopping techniques in the tackle which frustrated Warrington

We dont know what started the pathetic scenes at fhe end off the pitch.  We dont need that anywhere nevermind in the game. I.mo. the French broacast company dont do a great tv production  and I dont think the crowd trouble should have been shown live.  Use it for any investigation by the RFL or authorities.

I know many clubs have an element of trouble although never seen any on my trips to the south of France.

I expect both clubs to face some punishment for the trouble.  I do have a slight fear for Wembley with Saints, Wire and Widnes fans together especially a day drinking.

Warrington should now concentrate on the weeks ahead, I just hope Austins injury isnt that bad and that any of our players dont get cited.

Not a good day all around for the publicity of the sport though.

I totally agree with your comments on discipline and having an ability to not fall for certain players milking penalties. On the Wembley game this will be one game I am glad not to attend the Warrington, Saints and Widnes fans will create a toxic atmosphere were it will require the beeb to play the game with no sound.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Is that the first time you have seen a bad reffing performance? 

We see a fair few it is fair to say. Those games dont all descend into farce.

I've already acknowledged the ref was poor, but it doesn't automatically lead to what we saw. That isnt the natural progression.

I’ve never seen a game where both sets of players are involved in placating a situation .

5 minutes ago, redjonn said:

personally I didn't think the ref had a that bad a game. Their was the normal few mistakes that could be picked up on the replays plus as I commented before he calmly, methodically and with patience handled the heated situations plus penalised players for speaking out of turn.   

The last ugly instance, he immediately blow the whistle for the high tackle and the touch judges came on... he clearly indicated a high tackle and was ready to punish the player,,,,,, what else was he supposed to do tackle the players looking for a fight... 

Your first comment says it all .

It's not the refs fault that the players lost control of themselves, nor that there was trouble in the stand. I think it's quite reasonable ( but a forlorn hope) to expect the players to act as adults. As for who actually was responsible, and which team was at fault, well, it wasn't us...it was them.   

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Anyone who has attended any of the recent Grand Finals will know that this kind of thing aint that uncommon.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of it, whatbis the layout of that part of the ground - will those Wire fans have been fighting with themselves or is that hospitality where somebody was threatening to throw the chair from? Or is it just the normal concourse?

I agree but before passing judgement on the person with the chair - was he using it to protect themselves.

I suspect and one can only guess... that a long day in the bars will have fueled too many fans up... happens at many sporting events that we errr British tend to travel abroad too.

I am disappointed even within our stadiums that many have a hell of a culture for drinking to excess,,, helped by the 2 pint glasses yer can carry back and forth to yer seats....

Which twerps were doing the commentary?

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes I sympathise too.  But he should have sent some one off. There were not to many intances but when they happened he should have sent one off when the player did 2nd foul. And he should have penalised the players who were ignoring him.

The Cup game on TV with Toronto was similar but there the ref kept penalizing the Toronto players.

5 minutes ago, getdownmonkeyman said:

I’ve never seen a game where both sets of players are involved in placating a situation .

No, because in the rare instances of crowd trouble players generally carry on doing their job. 

And it was Hill who started all of that, with other players taking his lead. 

But, as I said earlier, happy to agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes I sympathise too.  But he should have sent some one off. There were not to many intances but when they happened he should have sent one off when the player did 2nd foul. And he should have penalised the players who were ignoring him.

The Cup game on TV with Toronto was similar but there the ref kept penalizing the Toronto players.

You keep mentioning 2nd foul and red cards as though that is a thing.

There is no such system in place.

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Your first comment says it all .

I was allowing myself to be swayed by other comments instead of saying what I really thought... I should have said I thought he had a reasonable game....

Refs jobs are made harder by us fans... as we complain if he acts authoritarian and punishes every thing... as we want the game to flow... plus we like a little bit of biff.. mistakenly but many do... I mean its a "mans" game and over sanitized nowadays... I mean bring back the shoulder charge, etc etc

6 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I agree but before passing judgement on the person with the chair - was he using it to protect themselves.

I suspect and one can only guess... that a long day in the bars will have fueled too many fans up... happens at many sporting events that we errr British tend to travel abroad too.

I am disappointed even within our stadiums that many have a hell of a culture for drinking to excess,,, helped by the 2 pint glasses yer can carry back and forth to yer seats....

I agree.

7 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Yes I did also think the chair may have been used as a defence too, but I think it was easier for the person to walk away instead of becoming a lion tamer :kolobok_biggrin:

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Indeed it does, as I think Redjonn is quite correct. 

Thr games all about opinions so you are both welcome to yours but I don't have agree and neither has a right to think they are right even if they think they are.

Just now, Dave T said:

You keep mentioning 2nd foul and red cards as though that is a thing.

There is no such system in place.

Maybe but the two players did two high tackles and hence the 2nd high shot of each Warrington player should seen them yellow/red carded ... one of whom should have been off... sin-binned at least.  Thats the only criticism of the ref I would have.

3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I was allowing myself to be swayed by other comments instead of saying what I really thought... I should have said I thought he had a reasonable game....

Refs jobs are made harder by us fans... as we complain if he acts authoritarian and punishes every thing... as we want the game to flow... plus we like a little bit of biff.. mistakenly but many do... I mean its a "mans" game and over sanitized nowadays... I mean bring back the shoulder charge, etc etc

Fair point.

13 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Very drunk English fans and firey French who feel ripped off all the time by the réf doesn't help, à couple of weeks ago v hull  it was the same, à few hull fans screaming and shouting and as some people say a bit of banter and the French just chucked beer at them and it kicked off, the French don't mess about with pushing and shoving they just jump straight in and think later, 

I don't like going in the stand behind the posts as it's a great atmosphere at the beginning and hostile at the end, bein sports are looking for an excuse to stop screening the super league, they may have now found it 

Thanks for giving a balanced view

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yes I did also think the chair may have been used as a defence too, but I think it was easier for the person to walk away instead of becoming a lion tamer :kolobok_biggrin:

had to chuckle at the lion tamer comment

Archived