3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I may be way out of order here David, but the proximity of Warrington to both Manchester and Liverpool and the clubs who play the round ball game, could an element of those 'Wire Fans' be supporter's of that code, as I said it is only speculation.

Nah. Let's be honest here, we could name every town in RL (and indeed the country) and they all have their rough elements. There are plenty of undesirable from Warrington who support the club.

I'm not a fan of blaming other sports or towns or whatever, there were idiots in Wire colours acting like something off Game of Thrones attacking a castle.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Nah. Let's be honest here, we could name every town in RL (and indeed the country) and they all have their rough elements. There are plenty of undesirable from Warrington who support the club.

I'm not a fan of blaming other sports or towns or whatever, there were idiots in Wire colours acting like something off Game of Thrones attacking a castle.

Wasn't that Daenerys Targaryen riding her DRAGON, see your passing the blame?

One of the worst things about Internet forums and facebook is the number of outraged reactions being posted by people who, like myself, were not at the game. and posters who try to score cheap political points and bait their rivals.

Far be it for me to defend Warrington fans, but based on my own misspent youth in the 1980's when this kid of thing was normal at many soccer games I was at. When the truth comes out it tends to be "six of one and half a dozen of the other" or "it takes two to tango" if your looking for another cliche.  So calm down and let the clubs and RFL investigate what really happened and why. and given that this has made BBC Breakfast news I think any investigation will be swift

The only point I would make is this - Players have a certain responsbility to the game, and if your playing roughouse rugby on the field do not be surprised if it gets a reaction off the field. There is one blond Warrington fanette on a facebook video being singled out but IMO she was reacting to what was happening on the field and I think most of us react that way against perceived bad refereeing and foul play against our team. He or she without sin can cast the first stone so to speak.

That is all.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I may be way out of order here David, but the proximity of Warrington to both Manchester and Liverpool and the clubs who play the round ball game, could an element of those 'Wire Fans' be supporter's of that code, as I said it is only speculation.

There are plenty of Rugby League fans who not only like Football and support a club but also regularly attend Football games. To blame another sport on incidents in Rugby League is embarrassing, sweeping the real problem under the carpet and not resolving anything. 

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

If it was the guy saying he had his head split open by a 'fellow' Warrington fan it was made up. He used a pic from in the internet from earlier this year and literally follows 5 twitter accounts. All Widnes RL related. 

Na mate, someone from the lounge crew told me that. 

A bunch of park thugs masquerading as professional athletes,truely shameful and shambolic. A number of those players shouldn't be involoved in professional rugby league. Unfortunately,they will get a telling off,maybe a one game ban and a small fineapologise,saying it was out of character,then do the same thing next season.

The only calm,professional intelligent man on the field was the referee,although I would like all referees to use the sin binn much earlier. Get the yobs and repeat offenders off the pitch in the first 20 mins,then hopefully the owners/coaches will stop picking them. It's no good yellow carding someone in the last 5 mins. If players can only tackle around the heads,its not an accident/mistake,wrong footed,its a sending off offence first time.

No wonder broadcasters and sponsors are reluctant to get involved with the game. Incidentally,shameful commentary,with the clowns apparently believing its all part of the game.

Just now, cookey said:

A bunch of park thugs masquerading as professional athletes,truely shameful and shambolic. A number of those players shouldn't be involoved in professional rugby league. Unfortunately,they will get a telling off,maybe a one game ban and a small fineapologise,saying it was out of character,then do the same thing next season.

The only calm,professional intelligent man on the field was the referee,although I would like all referees to use the sin binn much earlier. Get the yobs and repeat offenders off the pitch in the first 20 mins,then hopefully the owners/coaches will stop picking them. It's no good yellow carding someone in the last 5 mins. If players can only tackle around the heads,its not an accident/mistake,wrong footed,its a sending off offence first time.

No wonder broadcasters and sponsors are reluctant to get involved with the game. Incidentally,shameful commentary,with the clowns apparently believing its all part of the game.

A bit over the top with the comments on red and yellow cards, and this is one of the issues, fans shout for discipline but will soon complain if players are binned or sent off. Often player are making 30 to 50 tackles with the odd high one, so let's not go nuclear on this.

And whilst it is not a good look for sponsors etc. this isnt the problem, it is very rare and other sports have bigger issues and get sponsors.

It's the players ( and coaches ) fault , not the refs , I only saw the last few minutes of the game , bottom line is the players saw the last few seconds as their chance to attone for any wrongs they had received during the game , the trouble in the crowd as a direct result of that attempt at ' retribution ' 

Always though it wasn't wise to have the away fans at Catalans in that stand in close proximity to the home fans , EVERYBODYS idiot fans will migrate to the nearest position to any home fans , to essentially antagonise them no matter what the result is , some people are just wired that way , at a recent Leigh match at Fev I confronted Leigh fans deliberately trying to wind up Fev fans as they left the car park , these idiots of ours do this on a regular basis ( although they did know most of the Fev idiots ( yes they have a few like all clubs ) had already left and there was a sizeable group of Leigh fans nearby and and some police to rescue them if needed 

I honestly cannot see Catalan corporate fans throwing bottles into a group of away fans , beer ? Probably , chairs ? Nah , do you see a yellow chair seat being thrown towards the corporate platform , but actually landing amount the Wire fans ? Yes 

Not defending either set of fans , but definitely condemning both sets of players and their coaches , I recall all the vitriol directed at Jamie Acton and the Leigh club and fans over the Greg Bird incident , he is a complete and utter moron both on and off the field , when we are happy to employ these people ( and Leigh signed Gareth Hock ) then we get what we ask for 

Again when my club was happy to have our coach Paul Rowley telling his players to ' pat the opposition players on their heads when they made a mistake to goad them ' it used to drive me mad , my club even employed the biggest wind up merchant the game has ever seen in Alex Murphy 

We need to be very careful where we go with our game 

10 minutes ago, cookey said:

Most high shots came off the shoulders,  the ref could have sin binned some more earlier and stopped what followed , but he binned  cats hooker with hill when he was not guilty of anything, but failed to send him off for a clear knee off the ball to Clarke's head. Your comments are over the top and the referee certainly wasn't in control at anytime. Some players will be banned and possibly both clubs  sanctioned but the officials should look at what happened and make sure they prevent some of what went on whether wirh more use of cards.

23 minutes ago, cookey said:

Sorry mate but I disagree with the rudiments of what I think you are trying to get at,  whilst I do not believe for one minute that we should reveret to how physically the game was played in the 70's/80's I consider that after watching, playing and coaching this wonderful game since 1960 that it has become over sanitised, somewhere in the middle of the era I mention and now would find a happy medium for me.

9 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Most high shots came off the shoulders,  the ref could have sin binned some more earlier and stopped what followed , but he binned  cats hooker with hill when he was not guilty of anything, but failed to send him off for a clear knee off the ball to Clarke's head. Your comments are over the top and the referee certainly wasn't in control at anytime. Some players will be banned and possibly both clubs  sanctioned but the officials should look at what happened and make sure they prevent some of what went on whether wirh more use of cards.

The refs can only penalise what they see , high shots ' coming off shoulders ' isn't an excuse , have been saying this for years , clean up our game or die , the number of parents who will be willing to take their sons to play RL is reducing , the more incidents we see on the TV will further reduce that , the more desent we see to refs will reduce that , and indeed reduce the number of people willing to ' ref ' 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry mate but I disagree with the rudiments of what I think you are trying to get at,  whilst I do not believe for one minute that we should reveret to how physically the game was played in the 70's/80's I consider that after watching, playing and coaching this wonderful game since 1960 that it has become over sanitised, somewhere in the middle of the era I mention and now would find a happy medium for me.

For you Harry perhaps , but for the parents of little Johnny ? , The individuals running our sport and its clubs are the ones who can directly affect the future , maybe they don't care or cannot see how what they do now can make or break it 

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The refs can only penalise what they see , high shots ' coming off shoulders ' isn't an excuse , have been saying this for years , clean up our game or die , the number of parents who will be willing to take their sons to play RL is reducing , the more incidents we see on the TV will further reduce that , the more desent we see to refs will reduce that , and indeed reduce the number of people willing to ' ref ' 

Excuse no its a reason but if you want to penalise those no problem but its not the same as a clear head shot.

Just now, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Been completely snowed under with work, only just got round to catching up with the game and I see there was basically a riot. Can anyone direct me to a video of the full game??

It wasn't broadcast apparently , but what relevance does that have to the incidents at the end ? , Both sets of players ' lost it ' 

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Been completely snowed under with work, only just got round to catching up with the game and I see there was basically a riot. Can anyone direct me to a video of the full game??

YouTube has it on.

2 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Excuse no its a reason but if you want to penalise those no problem but its not the same as a clear head shot.

So you are telling me players don't ' bounce up ' on purpose ? , I have to say that when Rob Burroughs used to duck under tackles as a tactic I found that wrong when he then got a penalty for a high shot 

I’m not buying the excuse that the players are at fault for the crowd’s behaviour. Yes, the game was very bad tempered and yes, there are going to be some very deserved bans handed out as a result but that is not a valid excuse for fan behaviour. For people like Rod Studd to suggest as such is laughable and so very wrong. 

There has been many a bad tempered Rugby League game and we’ve seen plenty of games in the past where punches have been thrown from players. It’s not ideal and we as a game seem to want to stamp out punch-up’s, which I’m totally fine with. 

There’s plenty of other bad tempered sports out there, the combat sports for example and the vast majority of people that watch them live can behave. Yes, we’ve all seen videos of fights at boxing events but I imagine many pass by without any trouble recorded within the crowd. 

22 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi,fair enough.

I'm all for controlled aggression but for me,too many players in the British game have little or no self control.

I watched the boxing after the Catalans game and thought that the fighters demonstrated more discipline than the rugby players. To be fair,the referees in the boxing got involved at a very early stage and seemed to lay the law down. In my humble opinion,refs at league allow far too many infringements,holding down,stealing the ball,high shots etc before reverting to cards.Get some of these repeat offenders off the park early on and perhaps the coaches might finally stop selecting them.

It seems to happen less in Australia,so perhaps two refs may be necessary. Its very difficult for one ref to control both the tackle/ruck and the offside/play the ball.

I stopped watching when it got to 30-10, but I didn’t think it was the dirtiest game I have ever seen up to then. I was surprised at the number of high tackles that didn’t lead to cards, but we have seen worse. What puzzles me about the subsequent behaviour on the pitch is that the Wire players had so much to lose. The game was gone, but second place is still likely and Wembley only 3 weeks off. Extraordinary act of self destruction. 

The off the pitch stuff looked horrible. 

I hope the RFL (or is it SL for stuff like this) sort it out pretty quickly, for everyone’s sakes. If Austin is badly injured it could end up being a catastrophic afternoon for Wire. 

Archived