3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

For you Harry perhaps , but for the parents of little Johnny ? , The individuals running our sport and its clubs are the ones who can directly affect the future , maybe they don't care or cannot see how what they do now can make or break it 

Cottonball them Gubby? I do agree that today's society is a a little more tetchy maybe have a softer underbelly than what has past, so with all this softly softly approach why are more kids not playing the game, is it the "there are to many other distractions to entice them" excuse? 

You must remember the days not to long ago in the local leagues when there were hundreds of kids at the clubs in our town and surrounding area's now the numbers are a mere shadow of what they were a decline that is gathering momentum, even with the move to 'summer' rugby that has not helped increase the numbers, infact it has fallen away.

This debate could go on and on, if the parents of little Johnny are keeping their youngster's away now and the measures the games officials are taking to positively affect the future of our sport, we are really in a bad place, in fact as a comparrison if the numbers of kids and youth being attracted to the sport was a hospital patient there is some very radical life saving surgery required to save it from extinction in the not to distant future.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Not mac for the knee to Clarke's head ?

I meant I only saw the incident at the end. McIlorum was already red carded during that.

15 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not buying the excuse that the players are at fault for the crowd’s behaviour. Yes, the game was very bad tempered and yes, there are going to be some very deserved bans handed out as a result but that is not a valid excuse for fan behaviour. For people like Rod Studd to suggest as such is laughable and so very wrong. 

There has been many a bad tempered Rugby League game and we’ve seen plenty of games in the past where punches have been thrown from players. It’s not ideal and we as a game seem to want to stamp out punch-up’s, which I’m totally fine with. 

There’s plenty of other bad tempered sports out there, the combat sports for example and the vast majority of people that watch them live can behave. Yes, we’ve all seen videos of fights at boxing events but I imagine many pass by without any trouble recorded within the crowd. 

' Combat ' sports ? 

Many RL games pass by without recorded trouble , so what is your point ?

2 hours ago, Celt said:

Not defending the Warrington supporters, but in fairness they took 1500 fans. There were probably what.... 150 of you lot, maximum? A hardy core, and well done to you for going over, but you probably were a fairly irrelevant number compared to this weekend. 

Les Cats would feel absolutely no threat from such a small travelling band - you were probably more of a curiosity value.

I'd have thought Wakey took morel than 150, I went in 2017 with Fev and I reckon there were at least 500, mainly staring in Lloret, they were everywhere,  same in Toulouse same year.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

It was a perfect storm.  McIlorum should not had been yellow carded for a nothing technical infringement. Philbin, and others, were just penalised and not yellow carded... and after Philbins 2nd the ref warned his team - but then ignored it after.  Philbin looked a thick dipstick plonker. 

So it built up and at the very death after ref suggested they cool it for one last play, Mac hit a last gasp retaliation (who did he hit BTW?). Dim. All told on all sides, thick is as thick does and ditto the usual crass thuggish Wire 'fans'.

Mac should get at least 6 games. Good player but thick.  Maybe the famous Wire mascot should be changed to a headless chicken.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I'd have thought Wakey took morel than 150, I went in 2017 with Fev and I reckon there were at least 500, mainly staring in Lloret, they were everywhere,  same in Toulouse same year.

Already pointed out that Wakey took around a 1000 

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

It was a perfect storm.  McIlorum should not had been yellow carded for a nothing technical infringement. Philbin, and others, were just penalised and not yellow carded... and after Philbins 2nd the ref warned his team - but then ignored it after.  Philbin looked a thick dipstick plonker. 

So it built up and at the very death after ref suggested they cool it for one last play, Mac hit a last gasp retaliation (who did he hit BTW?). Dim. All told on all sides, thick is as thick does and ditto the usual crass thuggish Wire 'fans'.

Mac should get at least 6 games. Good player but thick.  Maybe the famous Wire mascot should be changed to a headless chicken.

Blaming the ref ?

5 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm blaming the players.  I'm criticising the ref.

Unlike McDermott , who criticised him , then 30 seconds later said " I'm not criticising the ref " ?

Sorry McNamara , always get them confused 

I’ve stopped going to certain games with my family due to the aggressiveness of some fans and the language used.

Also, any professional player or coach who criticises a referee, should be encouraged to enrol on a refereeing course and ref a real game to see if they are any better.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Wire have always had a good bond with Catalans and their fans. 

Interesting to hear Barnyia describe some trouble in that area when Hull played too.

Keep bringing Hull up Dave to give a balanced view.  Doesn't make last nights antics any better.  Last night was a level down for the game.

Many, many times I have seen beer and rubbish being thrown from visiting fans onto French supporters from that stand.  I could never understand it as very few visiting fans will even know what the French are saying.  Sure, I have seen French fans teasing the opposition fans by never with malice or aggression.  Some English fans used to sit near me in the Guasch stand and I never once saw them targeted even though they had their club colours on.

Big numbers of fans go into the Castillet area and just booze.  Then they go down to the pub on the corner of the Ave de la Salanque and booze.  I have seen fans waiting in the queue for beer tokens who could barely stand up. Then they leave and the process is reversed.  English boozing mentality. 

20 minutes ago, St Reatham said:

I’ve stopped going to certain games with my family due to the aggressiveness of some fans and the language used.

Also, any professional player or coach who criticises a referee, should be encouraged to enrol on a refereeing course and ref a real game to see if they are any better.

Both coaches have been quoted making comments about the ref.  SMc mentions this and also Price with 'deliberate knee in players’ heads when they were down on the ground, spear tackles, blokes getting tied up. It’s not good for our game.”

I don't really get the criticism of Child from the coaches. After that debacle any coach who isn't focusing on the actions of their own players is burying their heads in the sand. Refs will make mistakes during games but they don't all end up in mass brawls.

I thought the unfortunate thing was that Child had to end the game by the book and couldn't just allow the clock to run down during the first incident. It was nailed on that it was going to kick off again but he was hamstrung by the laws and there was not much he could have done at the end. He basically had to give the penalty - restart the time and let them come together and then do the same thing again immediately after.

Brawls do happen in RL and to be honest I don't think it's a huge issue. There was a brawl in baseball game last week and all that happened was the sport got even more exposure in places it doesn't usually get. What happened in the stands IS a big issue though.

To some extent it shouldn't be that surprising. Football has trouble with fans fighting and RL has fans from the same demographics - perhaps it's just the fact that RL attracts smaller crowds that means there isn't as much trouble. I'd like to think that's not the case and that on the whole RL fans can behave themselves but stuff like this looks terrible for the game.

Clubs and the governing body need to take a tough stance on things like this. It can happen at any club. There will always be idiots in society who want to act like thugs and it's not necessarily a reflection on a club if half a dozen morons cause trouble - but they have to make sure those half a dozen morons are no longer allowed at the club otherwise there's no deterrent.

17 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Keep bringing Hull up Dave to give a balanced view.  Doesn't make last nights antics any better.  Last night was a level down for the game.

Many, many times I have seen beer and rubbish being thrown from visiting fans onto French supporters from that stand.  I could never understand it as very few visiting fans will even know what the French are saying.  Sure, I have seen French fans teasing the opposition fans by never with malice or aggression.  Some English fans used to sit near me in the Guasch stand and I never once saw them targeted even though they had their club colours on.

Big numbers of fans go into the Castillet area and just booze.  Then they go down to the pub on the corner of the Ave de la Salanque and booze.  I have seen fans waiting in the queue for beer tokens who could barely stand up. Then they leave and the process is reversed.  English boozing mentality. 

Bit weird to see my reference to Barnyias post as a dig at Hull or a defense of Wire  I'll leave you to that one.

There have been two other reports in this thread of issues in that corner from two other clubs.

Looking like the clubs in the 'Elite' League are having a very good first year since Mr Elstone took charge.

I don't think they will be deserving of all the TV money if the standard of play,discipline and attendances keep falling.

As for a televison audience....

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The main issue in all of this is the fact that the violence in the stands has brought the game into disrepute. Warrington club officials must identify the culprits, publicly, and ban them for life.

Yep. That was vile hooliganism pure and simple.

How has any of that got any place in a sports stadium?

41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Bit weird to see my reference to Barnyias post as a dig at Hull or a defense of Wire  I'll leave you to that one.

There have been two other reports in this thread of issues in that corner from two other clubs.

Yeah, I thought it was weird too.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Wire have always had a good bond with Catalans and their fans. 

Interesting to hear Barnyia describe some trouble in that area when Hull played too.

It was about 5 or 6 hull fans sat on the front row in front of me, the real drunk angryfan wthat hates everyone on the field types, they screamed at the réf, catalans players, hull players, I said to my wife it was like watching a bbc documentary on young monkeys, one would stand up and shout and the next would jump up to and do the same thing, then another would try to shout louder and run faster to the barrier than the other each time dropping a bit of beer and each time screaming like a crazed animal, they where sat with their wives and with lots of catalans fans around them, then they started screaming and arguing with the catalans fans in the lower tier, the fans in the lower tier just chucked beer at them, as I've said earlier the real catalans are very very fiery and don't argue much they just jump in, 

Archived