3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

I see James Child has been 'relegated' to refereeing in the Championship this weekend (Widnes v Toulouse). A fair reflection of his performance, taken out of the firing line or thrown under the bus by the RFL?

I've only seen the last 10 minutes and he seemed to handle that about as well as could be expected given the circumstances so it seems a little harsh unless it's at his own request. Appreciate there's more to the game than the last 10 minutes though.

Hopefully there's at least been a behind-closed-doors reminder to all clubs of responsibilities towards officials regardless of their performance. And I say 'all clubs' not just the two involved at the weekend because, although this is a particularly prominent example, it's gradually got worse across the board over the years.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Essai Machine said:

And do we have a TJ cam that shows the whole incident from his POV , or ar we going off the 'questonable' eyesight of a much-maligned official ?

Have you ever questioned a TJ's assessment of a forward pass or the onside/offside position of a player ?

If you're suggesting that we take a TJ's word/vision as gospel then you can never criticise one for the rest of your life .

This is a bizarre exchange. 

The only evidence available led to Mamo getting a yellow. You have an issue with that despite offering up no evidence to show Mamo doing something.

If you think the decision is wrong, or biased or corrupt, it is on you to offer something up!

5 minutes ago, Essai Machine said:

And do we have a TJ cam that shows the whole incident from his POV , or ar we going off the 'questonable' eyesight of a much-maligned official ?

Have you ever questioned a TJ's assessment of a forward pass or the onside/offside position of a player ?

If you're suggesting that we take a TJ's word/vision as gospel then you can never criticise one for the rest of your life .

As I put earlier , I don't recall seeing Mamo do anything other than try to retrain Tomkins , who then threw an elbow in Mamo's face , so would only comment on that , so unless there is further evidence , yes you have accept the TJs opinion 

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just found it. Liam Watts took 3 strides toward a player at marker and head-butted him. Not very strong mind, but that isn't the same as two scuffling players.  He got a 3 match ban for it. 

So not precisely that at all.

I can see where Phil’s coming from in that instance though.  3 paces, but it wasn’t exactly a gallop.  As mentioned earlier, often see 2 players head to head and nothing given, but Watts got a 3 match ban.  He did it, no doubt, but the severity was imo not right and the inference he took 3 paces to head butt someone doesn’t paint the picture.  Both players moved towards each other.

i think ST can feel hard done by though.  Mind you it makes up for some of his antics in the past ?

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Chris Hill used to be one of my favourite players.

Then he was made captain and I heard him in interviews and (more critically) speaking with the referee and things changed dramatically. 

Did Hill do his fair share of incitement?  

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Did Hill do his fair share of incitement?  

I don't really understand the context of the question but let me be clear I am talking about Hill over the last couple of years, not just his involvement on Saturday.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I can see where Phil’s coming from in that instance though.  3 paces, but it wasn’t exactly a gallop.  As mentioned earlier, often see 2 players head to head and nothing given, but Watts got a 3 match ban.  He did it, no doubt, but the severity was imo not right and the inference he took 3 paces to head butt someone doesn’t paint the picture.  Both players moved towards each other.

i think ST can feel hard done by though.  Mind you it makes up for some of his antics in the past ?

I don't disagree that Watts' punishment was harsh tbh, but Crosby does not move an inch. His feet are planted. video here.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11277907/hull-fc-prop-liam-watts-facing-ban-over-headbutt-in-win-over-warrington

I genuinely haven't seen Tomkins' offence, as I say, it is all a bit chaos and haven't gone back to study it frame by frame, but the initial view on the pitch was that it was serious and the panel with the video agreed, as he got a C charge. 

And to repeat my point, I am not displaying blind loyalty to Mamo, I don't particularly like the player, would have no issue if he received a ban, but nobody has offered up any kind of evidence of a headbutt which is where a red card or a ban would come in.

Just now, Dave T said:

I don't disagree that Watts' punishment was harsh tbh, but Crosby does not move an inch. His feet are planted. video here.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11277907/hull-fc-prop-liam-watts-facing-ban-over-headbutt-in-win-over-warrington

I genuinely haven't seen Tomkins' offence, as I say, it is all a bit chaos and haven't gone back to study it frame by frame, but the initial view on the pitch was that it was serious and the panel with the video agreed, as he got a C charge. 

And to repeat my point, I am not displaying blind loyalty to Mamo, I don't particularly like the player, would have no issue if he received a ban, but nobody has offered up any kind of evidence of a headbutt which is where a red card or a ban would come in.

I think what Mamo got was fair enough.  They’ll take those cards into account next time around,

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Child is referring Championship this weekend.  I hope that isn’t due to the pressure of the two coaches as I don’t think he was that bad.

Can we guarantee any other referee would have done better?

I personally don't think Child was anywhere near the biggest factor in what happened. 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think the ref was too lenient on verbals tbh. Even McIlorum when binned refused to leave the field with an argument. I don't mind Child tbh (I don't have an issue with any ref) but maybe one criticism is he stays perhaps too calm verbally and doesn't assert his authority. Somebody made the point that Thaler would have been firmer vocally, as would Ganson in his day. I would welcome that and a tougher stance.

Child has been demoted this weekend.  A shame, but when he comes back I suggest players will need to be careful about talking back and keep their tackles low.

8 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Child has been demoted this weekend.  A shame, but when he comes back I suggest players will need to be careful about talking back and keep their tackles low.

Interesting contrast with football, where both coaches would certainly have been immediately fined for criticising the referee in their post-game comments and where I expect the FA would've backed the referee to the hilt.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I personally don't think Child was anywhere near the biggest factor in what happened. 

Neither do I, but I do think he had lost control of the game, which is something that happens far too often in games under his "Control". I thought he performed poorly in the game, I also think his demotion could be down to more than just this game,

23 minutes ago, dkw said:

Neither do I, but I do think he had lost control of the game, which is something that happens far too often in games under his "Control". I thought he performed poorly in the game, I also think his demotion could be down to more than just this game,

Totally agree . He’s getting quite a track record and controversy follows him around . I notice he’s doing more and more championship games so the powers that be cant be to happy with him either . You’d think he’s running out of rope as a SL ref

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Running in is not a red though is it, unless you throw a punch. Worst case is a yellow.

A professional foul is not a red, never has been. Worst case is a yellow, which is what he got.

The report from the TJ was head to head and a yellow. Which he got. No headbut. 

This isnt a blind defence of Mamo, you'll see I have been extremely critical of him both during the game and after, but he does not commit a single red card offence, never mind 3.

I never said any of these were nailed on reds just the potential was there for him to get them. As for running in can I ask you a question. Have you never seen player A run into a fight and pull player B out player be turns round and punches player A three times with no response both players sent off. So it isn’t imo as clear cut as saying running in isn’t a sending off. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Interestingly, only 3 players got cautions for 'running in' - which is bizarre considering the multiple instances of this occuring, and pretty much every player getting involved! I don't understand why there hasn't been any kind of mass caution.

Totally agree every player got involved to varying degrees and two or three actually lept on top to get at players.

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I never said any of these were nailed on reds just the potential was there for him to get them. As for running in can I ask you a question. Have you never seen player A run into a fight and pull player B out player be turns round and punches player A three times with no response both players sent off. So it isn’t imo as clear cut as saying running in isn’t a sending off. 

No, not that I recall. Mamo got punished, but it was yellow. He didnt throw punches which is what Tomkins got sent off for.

18 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Exactly. Been going for a few years now, Not followed any particular club over there. Just picked a match that’s a convenient date for our group and stayed in and around Perpignan. Great place, but I’ve noticed in the last couple of years the town has been a lot quieter post match. It seems that the Lloret crew are just there for the English pub and Full English breakfast experience. I’m glad they don’t hang around in Perpignan. It’s just a shame that they have to come to the game.

Bang on, i'd rather spend post match in Perpignan with 30-40 rather than the hundreds who pop up for a game during their pi** up, sorry holiday. Would hate them to hang around in the town and spoil it, mind you 99% of them think Perpignan only has 1 bar and that's in 'the square' ??

7 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I find that just 1 ban for McIlorum was absurd. First he has previous, and on top of that his foul started it all off with virtually zero seconds on the clock and there just having being a bad tempered fracas and the ref having just cautioned everyone to cool down. Appalling decision. His action was premeditated while everything else, bad as it was, was instinctive.

Add to that, one player who deserved a punishment during the game, Philbin for at least 2 high shots, never got a card of any sort any time. So for me not only the clubs and the players, the disciplinary have also brought the game into disrepute.

Hill was a tool for opting to run the ball and not just take the kick and get the game over with. It was obvious what was going to happen once that decision was taken.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Child is referring Championship this weekend.  I hope that isn’t due to the pressure of the two coaches as I don’t think he was that bad.

Can we guarantee any other referee would have done better?

I feel Thaler and Hicks would have put some arrse into it, yes.

Child was lackadaisical for mine. 

Archived