3 Aug: SL: Catalans Dragons v Warrington Wolves (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Warrington Wolves

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/19 at 16:00

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Although I've seen far too many brawls so long as the game deals with it it'll blow over.

Don't be fooled into thinking it's limited to this match or those fans or the two clubs it's all our problem.

I'll make a bet before I've seen any press coverage that this'll be the most collumn inches we've had in quite some time and the RFL's actions will be lucky to see daylight by comparison.

as for

Hardly surprising that comments like this will come out at the moment and I'm talking about the quotes not Celt here.

Fining the clubs is the poorest stock response and points deduction might not be a bad idea. I know it's probably not in the rules but being knocked out of the play-offs would send a real message for a change.

I can't argue with that,  the alcohol based culture is widespread through out the sport and the clubs sometimes actively encourage it. The magic weekend is a typical way the sport is going with p155ed up fans from all clubs and even regular posters on this forum who look forward to these events. I have watched wire fans go actively down the alcohol based culture but some fans from other clubs are happy to ignore their badly behaved fans so they can stick the boot in.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I can't argue with that,  the alcohol based culture is widespread through out the sport and the clubs sometimes actively encourage it. The magic weekend is a typical way the sport is going with p155ed up fans from all clubs and even regular posters on this forum who look forward to these events. I have watched wire fans go actively down the alcohol based culture but some fans from other clubs are happy to ignore their badly behaved fans so they can stick the boot in.

I’m an adult who can have a few drinks at a match without wanting to fight the world. Unfortunately there are too many out there who can’t do the same. The Grand Final kick off time allows plenty of opportunity for supporters to get tanked up, even before entering the stadium and I’ve seen many unsavoury incidents at Old Trafford. Catalans games offer the same opportunity, especially if the sun is shining. If we have to punish the majority to deter the minority then so be it. It’s a society problem not just a RL one. 

rldfsignature.jpg

11 hours ago, Hvy wg said:

A guy has been sent to the ER as a consequence of the fight. 

If it was the guy saying he had his head split open by a 'fellow' Warrington fan it was made up. He used a pic from in the internet from earlier this year and literally follows 5 twitter accounts. All Widnes RL related. 

It is no surprise that people are looking to kick Wire fans, but we need some balance here.

It has been mentioned on here by Barnyia that Catalans fans did the same thing versus Hull a few weeks back and there was trouble.

Some Hull fans were complaining last week about the behaviour of their fans after the semi. Wigan fans complained about flares, Saints fans in trouble for flares, Salford fans in trouble a few years back, fines at a few clubs this year, I have seen bad behaviour from most sets of fans at the Grand Final, with Leeds being the worst I have personally witnessed, so scoring cheap points isnt useful here as all clubs live in glass houses.

We need to be addressing the problem of excessive alcohol at RL as there is a risk of being back in the 80s where it was a case of mini football hooliganism quite often. I made this point after the semi final last week after the complaints about Hull fans.

This is something we should all be worried about for the sake of the game. I personally have no loyalty to other Wire fans, if they acted badly, ban them, or charge them if criminal acts occurred. We should offer no excuses in the slightest and they are a stain on the club and game. Same goes for French fans involved. I wont pre-budget who did what, that is for the authorities to investigate, but we saw punches thrown and drinks thrown, that is enough to make bans required.

Personally I am most disappointed by the players of both sides. We have allowed this attitude towards refs to build and build for a few years now, and last night was the worst example I have seen. Both clubs should be charged with failing to control players on top of the normal disciplinary charges that are likely to follow.

If any Wire players get themselves banned for silliness un advance of Wembley then they are the dumbest players around.

Kenny Edward's should really be getting punished severely for inflaming the on-field and off-field stuff. He seems a really weird bloke.

11 hours ago, daz39 said:

I've been in that stand at the top many times and never witnessed anything like that, more the opposite of shaking hands and friendliness etc.

Same experience for me. Only been twice but the Catalan fans were friendly and welcoming, same as you find when you go to Toulouse.

I dont think people should be too worried about the Challenge Cup Final. Wire have been to 5 of the last 10 finals with little problem, although there was one brawl a few years ago which was far worse than last night caused by neutral groups of Rugby players iirc.

Wire have lost versus Hull with no trouble mentioned.

1 minute ago, Gus Tyson said:

Same experience for me. Only been twice but the Catalan fans were friendly and welcoming, same as you find when you go to Toulouse.

Wire have always had a good bond with Catalans and their fans. 

Interesting to hear Barnyia describe some trouble in that area when Hull played too.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I dont think people should be too worried about the Challenge Cup Final. Wire have been to 5 of the last 10 finals with little problem, although there was one brawl a few years ago which was far worse than last night caused by neutral groups of Rugby players iirc.

Wire have lost versus Hull with no trouble mentioned.

The kick off time and the availability/price of booze at Wembley should stop people being thoroughly tanked up before the match.

I agree with you and others, it's a society problem really rather than a rugby one but that doesn't mean we can't take steps to sort ourselves out a bit. People drink like fish all day at the cricket and there's very rarely trouble of any kind.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

When we played Catalans in Perpignan last month there were a few Catalans fans in that top bit goading the Trinity fans near the end of the game.

Nothing too serious but it could have turned nasty - thankfully it didn't. 

The Catalans fans in and around Peprignan after the game were great though.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

The kick off time and the availability/price of booze at Wembley should stop people being thoroughly tanked up before the match.

I agree with you and others, it's a society problem really rather than a rugby one but that doesn't mean we can't take steps to sort ourselves out a bit. People drink like fish all day at the cricket and there's very rarely trouble of any kind.

I think the point about cricket is a decent one. There are big differences in terms of the tribalism on show, but I do also think the player behaviour and aggression does overflow onto the terraces. 

I would also be annoyed if alcohol was banned, as I'm not sure it is the beer in the ground that is the issue, but the natural first step may need to be increased stewarding and policing to give the perception of a safer environment. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the point about cricket is a decent one. There are big differences in terms of the tribalism on show, but I do also think the player behaviour and aggression does overflow onto the terraces. 

I would also be annoyed if alcohol was banned, as I'm not sure it is the beer in the ground that is the issue, but the natural first step may need to be increased stewarding and policing to give the perception of a safer environment. 

There did used to be occasional flare ups at cricket but that seems to have died down. Never caused by actual club rivalry (although, bizarrely, Cardiff and Swansea fans used to have 'fun' running into each other at Glamorgan matches) but by people being drunk and a bit dumb with it. Certainly for all day events, or late kick off ones, there's probably some lessons we can learn from other places about how to manage that without stopping people enjoying a few drinks in the sunshine.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The main issue in all of this is the fact that the violence in the stands has brought the game into disrepute. Warrington club officials must identify the culprits, publicly, and ban them for life.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There did used to be occasional flare ups at cricket but that seems to have died down. Never caused by actual club rivalry (although, bizarrely, Cardiff and Swansea fans used to have 'fun' running into each other at Glamorgan matches) but by people being drunk and a bit dumb with it. Certainly for all day events, or late kick off ones, there's probably some lessons we can learn from other places about how to manage that without stopping people enjoying a few drinks in the sunshine.

I've been to a couple of big all day festival gigs recently where excessive drinking (and other substances) was consumed by crowds of between 25 to 50k and people weren't interested in trouble.

Like you I have been to cricket all day and seen little issue. 

I'm not sure on the best ways to deal with this to prevent the issues, but the conversations should be taking place.

6 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

The main issue in all of this is the fact that the violence in the stands has brought the game into disrepute. Warrington club officials must identify the culprits, publicly, and ban them for life.

What's the thinking behind asking only one club to take action? Seems odd.

16 minutes ago, Celt said:

Not defending the Warrington supporters, but in fairness they took 1500 fans. There were probably what.... 150 of you lot, maximum? A hardy core, and well done to you for going over, but you probably were a fairly irrelevant number compared to this weekend. 

Les Cats would feel absolutely no threat from such a small travelling band - you were probably more of a curiosity value.

We sold over 800 tickets and took over 1000 supporters. 

Well done for being so far off the mark. 

17 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

A moment watching the video would show you that Catalan players and supporters were also involved in the violence.

On 01/08/2019 at 16:54, Hemel Stag said:

?  v  ?  -  Sky "Sports Mix" at 5pm

No wonder my box didn't record it, I was set for series link on both Areana and Action the two channels useually used, those S hithouses at Sky had Gaelic Football the bloody same game being broadcast on both channels at 17:00, why?

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

A moment watching the video would show you that Catalan players and supporters were also involved in the violence.

I shouldn't bother - he's currently trolling the heck out of RLFans with the exact same drivel. 

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

No wonder my box didn't record it, I was set for series link on both Areana and Action the two channels useually used, those S hithouses at Sky had Gaelic Football the bloody same game being broadcast on both channels at 17:00, why?

Pain in the backside with Sky and the series link at the moment. Really unreliable.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Leigh took 1200 over in '17, no bovver then.

Well done. Again my point is missed.

There weren't any bother when we visited. All I am saying was there was a little goading near the end of the game by some Catalans 

supporters in that area. I am just clarifying that.

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I've been to a couple of big all day festival gigs recently where excessive drinking (and other substances) was consumed by crowds of between 25 to 50k and people weren't interested in trouble.

Like you I have been to cricket all day and seen little issue. 

I'm not sure on the best ways to deal with this to prevent the issues, but the conversations should be taking place.

I may be way out of order here David, but the proximity of Warrington to both Manchester and Liverpool and the clubs who play the round ball game, could an element of those 'Wire Fans' be supporter's of that code, as I said it is only speculation.

Archived