2 Aug: SL: St Helens v Wakefield Trinity KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/08/19 at 18:45

I fear for Wakefield in this. Points difference could be vital for them at the end of the season and this is the match that could really change theirs. They have run some of the top teams close over the last couple of years but I can't see anything but a one sided match here.

Saints 52 - 10 Wakefield

I never like playing Wakefield. It’s nothing against them as a club, they’re more than likeable and seem well-run with a modest squad that might not have the big names of other clubs, but they’re always difficult to play against and we’ve struggled in the past against them and despite their poor season, I still think they’ll be a tough side to play against. 

We could wrap up the League Leaders Shield this weekend, with a result going our way. Given the embarrassing stuff journalists come out with last year about us not celebrating “enough”, I hope we have fireworks, a woman bursting out of a birthday cake, a pitch invasion and an open top bus celebration this week should we manage to get it done this week. It’s inevitable that we’re going to do it, it’s just a case of when. 

Still think we’ll win mind. Just hope we get through with no major injuries to any key players ahead of the Cup Final in a few weeks. 

2 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

I'm sure we'll rest a few - hopefully a comfortable win but Wakey are desperate and we are playing for nothing so who knows.

No resting only walmsley missing from last weeks team. Saints hoping to wrap up the hubcap this week so can rest players in the lead up to CCF

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Walmsley, Knowles and Coote out but Taia back, which is a boost.

Welsby back in the squad, which suggests he will play at 1, Lomax will go into the half back roles and Richardson will drop out.

No point risking players if their injured at this point.

2 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Walmsley, Knowles and Coote out but Taia back, which is a boost.

Welsby back in the squad, which suggests he will play at 1, Lomax will go into the half back roles and Richardson will drop out.

No point risking players if their injured at this point.

Holbrook has said that Lomax will stay at full back. I'd guess Welsby perhaps on the bench so we've got the option of moving around if things aren't going so well, or resting someone if we've got the game sewn up

16 hours ago, Raumati Rugby said:

1. Jonny Lomax, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Kevin Naiqama, 4. Mark Percival, 5. Regan Grace, 6. Theo Fages, 7. Danny Richardson, 9. James Roby, 10. Luke Thompson, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Joseph Paulo, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 16. Kyle Amor, 17. Dom Peyroux, 19. Matty Lees, 20. Jack Ashworth, 21. Aaron Smith, 22. James Bentley, 29. Jack Welsby.

That's a pretty much full strength squad with only Walmsley missing. Looking at Wakefields last 6 games, they'd better pray that London don't find form, because it's hard to see where their next win comes from before the final day. 

No Coote and Knowles.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No Coote, Lomax, Walmsley, Knowles or Grace. 

I bet that news has gone down well in East Hull. 

Lomax wife had a baby yesterday so he’s probably been up all night.

Another good win for Saints, their fans really must be cock-a-hoop right now and rightly so, in with a very good shout of the treble and would be rightly disappointed if they didn't achieve that.

Wakey going backwards at a rate of knots and have the worst record over the last 10 games in SL with only one win, they've also had three games against relegation candidates Leeds and Hudds and a third game against London, talk about having a really easy fixture list!

At this rate it could be Wakey going down, the last game is against London so could be right down to the wire on the last day of the season!

Good win. 

I suppose there was a doubt in my mind about how we’d react now the news of Holbrook’s departure was public knowledge but we were playing Wakefield, probably the poorest side in the competition on current form, so it may be too soon to see how the reaction is to the news. 

I do hope Wakefield stay up, it’s an enjoyable day out, if usually wet, and a nice little throwback to Knowsley Road, but from a neutral’s perspective, the run in for survival is going to be a hell of a watch. 

Archived