NEXT SEASON

Bring back GB

Very good edition of Odd Shaped Balls on Cando FM last night with Steve Neale as guest, taking questions.

Was very encouraging to hear him say that if we go down, he is optimistic that the majority of the squad will remain, and he intends to have the strongest squad in League One.

we need to go straight back up (if we do get the dreaded drop) or risk losing all RFL funding etc if the rumours are true about L1 !!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

22 minutes ago, morty said:

we need to go straight back up (if we do get the dreaded drop) or risk losing all RFL funding etc if the rumours are true about L1 !!

When have rumours ever been wrong?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

4 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Realistically who is expected to stay and who is expected to go? 

No names were mentioned for obvious reasons I'd imagine we'd keep the local lads and maybe the odd out of towner like Dalli. I'd say Susino & PNG lads will definitely move on 

I'm surprised and impressed that they want to stay.

At the beginning of the year I wasn't hopeful that they'd last the season. Being so far from their families etc, I thought homesickness would be a real issue. They've been great ambassadors for the club and seem to have thrown themselves into working with schools and the community.

Hope it all works out well for them either way but I think they need some serious recognition for the effort they've put in.

1 hour ago, The Vet said:

We won’t get a squad for under  £1.8m?

Thaat is the general cap but you aren't allowed to spend up to anything like that unless you can provide cast-iron guarantees of funding. You are more likely to be looking at anything up to £120k.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Newraider said:

Who would you like to bring in? And who would come to us? Be interesting who we keep also

If Barrow could keep the majority of their team I would fancy them to bounce straight back up, but if Haven go up I would expect a couple to head there if the chance was there

11 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Thaat is the general cap but you aren't allowed to spend up to anything like that unless you can provide cast-iron guarantees of funding. You are more likely to be looking at anything up to £120k.

Why would it be 120k?

Drop in RFL funding will be probably 100kish. 

Even in Div 1 we will average 1000 crowds. I imagine we would turnover at least 500k at a very very minimum. If it dropped lower than that I'd be shocked. Our crowds haven't increased that much since we went up (maybe a bit due to away support) why would we be forced to have a cap at less than 25% of turnover? 

If Haven went up I'd be slightly worried of losing Ritson, Walker, Hulme and Stack. We would maybe lose Riley aswell although that doesn't worry me (funny as he was the best player on the pitch when we beat them in the play off final a few years ago) 

Apart from that I think Susino will definitely move on as he will be upper end Championship or maybe an SL club (if Josh Johnson can step up he 100% can) Aspinwall I guess will retire. I don't see anyone picking Dalli up at his age. Deon Cross, Ben White and Jono Smith are potentials to lose I'm unsure. Paisley will definitely be picked up by a championship club I'd guess. I can't see any championship clubs going after Charnock or Spedding so they might stay. Could be a good league for them to develop as they are young. 

If salary cap and income aren't reduced to much I think we will likely keep the core. In CC1 I'd like to blood a few local lads (Blain Marwood, Perry Singleton, Matty While), and develop them. 

You never know we might win every game or stay up. Or Bradford go bust again and get a 12 point deduction who knows. 

6 hours ago, RSN said:

Why would it be 120k?

Even in Div 1 we will average 1000 crowds. I imagine we would turnover at least 500k at a very very minimum. If it dropped lower than that I'd be shocked. Our crowds haven't increased that much since we went up (maybe a bit due to away support) why would we be forced to have a cap at less than 25% of turnover? 

If Haven went up I'd be slightly worried of losing Ritson, Walker, Hulme and Stack. We would maybe lose Riley aswell although that doesn't worry me (funny as he was the best player on the pitch when we beat them in the play off final a few years ago) 

Apart from that I think Susino will definitely move on as he will be upper end Championship or maybe an SL club (if Josh Johnson can step up he 100% can) Aspinwall I guess will retire. I don't see anyone picking Dalli up at his age. Deon Cross, Ben White and Jono Smith are potentials to lose I'm unsure. Paisley will definitely be picked up by a championship club I'd guess. I can't see any championship clubs going after Charnock or Spedding so they might stay. Could be a good league for them to develop as they are young. 

If salary cap and income aren't reduced to much I think we will likely keep the core. In CC1 I'd like to blood a few local lads (Blain Marwood, Perry Singleton, Matty While), and develop them. 

You never know we might win every game or stay up. Or Bradford go bust again and get a 12 point deduction who knows. 

Obrien from Millom and singleton I'd like to see

9 minutes ago, Town utd said:

Kelly , singleton, Wilkinson,and dowsett an marwood,what a pair of young local hookers and forwards barrow would have, can't believe barrow never signed them first?

Would they fancy going to Barrow now? Barrow had their chance to sign them and over-looked them. Haven/town gave them the opportunities.

7 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Would they fancy going to Barrow now? Barrow had their chance to sign them and over-looked them. Haven/town gave them the opportunities.

I know dowsett n Wilkinson signed for a another 2 years at haven so won't get them. Dunno about singleton n kelly if there available 

11 hours ago, RSN said:

Why would it be 120k?

What do you imagine that your playing budget was this year? I woukd be very surprised if it was more than £200k.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

What do you imagine that your playing budget was this year? I woukd be very surprised if it was more than £200k.

My guess would have been at least 300k. Despite our position we made some bold recruitment which on paper should have put us mid table but unfortunately it hasn't worked out. We probably have to pay slightly more due to being a distance to travel for people out of town. 

I'm only really having a guess I'm sure the figures will come out at a meeting or something. 

3 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

The step up from Amateur to Championship this season or last would have been far too great. 

CC1 is the perfect league to make the step up from amateur to find your feet. It would be to much of a risk to have people playing for Askam and Ulverston one week then going on to play against Toronto, Toulouse, Leigh ect the next is just to much of a step up in pace, strength, skill and experience. 

Archived