Bernard Cribbins to present challenge cup!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, the good old days. 1981 saw Douglas Bader present the trophy to Widnes, Cannon and Ball did the Community Singing, and Bernie Clifton ran around the pitch in his bird suit(google it).

How could you possibly equal that today??

7 minutes ago, doc said:

Ahh, the good old days. 1981 saw Douglas Bader present the trophy to Widnes, Cannon and Ball did the Community Singing, and Bernie Clifton ran around the pitch in his bird suit(google it).

How could you possibly equal that today??

I remember an edition of Private Eye, many moons ago, having a newspaper cutting about Douglas Bader opening a pub; given the occasion, it was unfortunate that in the paper he was described as "the legless wartime hero"!

3 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Other good choices to present the cup in my opinion and known the British public would be Ashes winning Captain, Michael Vaughan, Ian Botham, Tyson Fury, and like Alex Ferguson would be fully aware of Rugby League.

Dame Vera Lynn perhaps?

Bernard Cribbins was at the 1999 final between London and Leeds. It was the last one at the old Wembley, so they brought back the so called community singing. I distinctly remember Bernard singing 'On Ilkley Moor Baht'at' and 'Maybe its Because I'm a Londoner'. Ah, them were the days...

7 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

I realised that and looked it up. 1960 to 1981 apparently.

He didn’t lead the community singing all the way from 1960 to 1981. A guy called Vince Miller did it plenty of times and in 1980 it was Windsor Davies and Melvyn Hayes. 

rldfsignature.jpg

6 hours ago, yipyee said:

One of the prince's would be good. Harry maybe he like to look useful.

Wasn't one of them a honory member once or something? 

One of them, Harry, is currently a patron of the RFL. That means he gets to patronise the game whenever he likes.

rldfsignature.jpg

28 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Frank Bruno would be a good choice as regards publicity, but i wouldn't have thought that Frank would know a lot about our game, but you never know

his boy played junior RL for quite some time over at Brentwood Elvers I believe. Seemed to watch most  games

Archived