Retiring Players

I argue that we should take a leaf out of the NRL book and present the players retiring at the end of the season to the crowd at the Grand Final at half time.  Those that have played say 200 Super League qualify for this occasion.  When I saw this presentation of retiring players at a Grand Final in Sydney, it was really moving, when each retiring player walked out to the centre spot in the darkness under four corner spotlights, it was a great and last opportunity to acknowledge their years of loyalty to our great game.  We claim to be a ‘family game’ and retiring should be rightly venerated, kept in the family and not  forgotten about.

What say you, brothers and sisters?

Nice idea, as long as the majority of fans can be relied upon to show respect to, and applaud, all of them.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I saw this presentation of retiring players at the NRL Grand Final, true there was a little ‘friendly banter’ from the crowd amongst the overwhelming applause and cheering, but the MC on the mike gave  the player’s career details so warmly and positively that it was impossible not to applaud the player’s contribution to the greatest game.  

To see them all in a line across the halfway line certainly was an impressive sight and hope it helped them in the difficult transition into retirement..

10 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Cracking idea.

It'd be one of the few worthwhile aussie imports ? 

Yes it would and don't they deserve it ?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Not a great idea tbh.

I am sure that Westwood, say, will get more from the reception he has had on social media and will for the rest of the season, than he will from being marched out at a GF between Saints and Hull to a chorus of 'W*nky w*nky Warrington' and 'it's always your year'

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On 31/07/2019 at 20:19, John Boriston said:

I argue that we should take a leaf out of the NRL book and present the players retiring at the end of the season to the crowd at the Grand Final at half time.  Those that have played say 200 Super League qualify for this occasion.  When I saw this presentation of retiring players at a Grand Final in Sydney, it was really moving, when each retiring player walked out to the centre spot in the darkness under four corner spotlights, it was a great and last opportunity to acknowledge their years of loyalty to our great game.  We claim to be a ‘family game’ and retiring should be rightly venerated, kept in the family and not  forgotten about.

What say you, brothers and sisters?

I see that my idea has been taken up by Martin Sadler and Total RL, I don’t mind really that there is no acknowledgement to me for this wonderful idea.

Hope it comes to fruition.

2 hours ago, John Boriston said:

I see that my idea has been taken up by Martin Sadler and Total RL, I don’t mind really that there is no acknowledgement to me for this wonderful idea.

Hope it comes to fruition.

Saw that. A shameless piece of plagiarism  by Mr Sadler!!

Archived