world brands

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Wigan, St Helens, Leeds, Warrington...erm...

Genuinely stuck after that. 

I’d add Hull to that list, but yeah am also stuck after that, nobody else even averages 10,000 at home. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I’d add Hull to that list, but yeah am also stuck after that, nobody else even averages 10,000 at home. 

now five .

13 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Wigan, St Helens, Leeds, Warrington...erm...

Genuinely stuck after that. 

So we have four

Chief Crazy Eagle

Off the top of my head.... Leeds, Wigan, Saint Helens, Bradford, Hull FC, Warrington, Hull KR, London?

Difficult to answer as none are really a “world brand” After the top few it probably just comes down to which are the most memorable cities/towns.

Saint Helens is the name I associate most with Rugby League. Probably because as a young kid I’d never heard of the place so it was purely a rugby reference.

4 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Off the top of my head.... Leeds, Wigan, Saint Helens, Bradford, Hull FC, Warrington, Hull KR, London?

Difficult to answer as none are really a “world brand” After the top few it probably just comes down to which are the most memorable cities/towns.

Saint Helens is the name I associate most with Rugby League. Probably because as a young kid I’d never heard of the place so it was purely a rugby reference.

Would you not have the five English world club challenge winners ?

Chief Crazy Eagle

London don’t even average 3,000 though (and a lot of the crowd they do get are away fans), and their ground is tiny, so they’re not really in a position to take the game to the next level. Same with Bradford and Hull KR, lots of potential with their fan bases but their grounds are so poor.

If York and Newcastle carry on progressing as they are they might be a decent bet in a few years, but they’d need to massively improve their gates. 

We have only 2 -- Wigan and Leeds.  The entire Super League brand should be based on promoting these two pillars across the Pennines. Making them fully national brands (let alone global brands) would drag every other team upwards and forwards.  Having many priorities means you have none.  Pick your prettiest and promote them - petty personal team preferences shouldnt come into this.  As much as I hated them, Wigan's decade of dominance made League's profile far higher than it is now and it is easier to develop household names for 2 or so teams than for half the league.

Clubs like Saints, Wire, FC etc are incredibly important to the game but not the vehicles to hitch our wagons to in order to build national profile for the sport.   

I think none are world brands but in the UK if you say Wigan most people down south would probably say RL.

Bit of a gap then but you may also say the same to a point about Saints and Wire.

After that it's the City of Hull rather than the 2 teams you may associate with RL.

Cumbria is only really associated with the Lake District but when people isolate the West of the County, RL is one of the first things that is mentioned - same can be said for Yorkshire in general.

24 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I think none are world brands but in the UK if you say Wigan most people down south would probably say RL.

It depends on the age of who you asked but I guarantee plenty more would be more likely to say Football than Rugby League given Wigan Athletic’s spell in the Premier League, FA Cup run and their association with Will Grigg. 

I'm 39 and Southern. 

I would say

Wigan clear 1st. Then Saints, Leeds

Then Widnes, Bradford, Hull, Wire and Cas. 

For younger people down south it may be Leeds first as they have been very successful in the last 15 years and did not win much in the 80s and 90s before that. 

Well, in respect of google search volumes... It would be Leeds, then Wigan, Saints, Hull, Warrington...

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=GB&q=%2Fm%2F045k1z,%2Fm%2F045k1l,%2Fm%2F045k2b,%2Fm%2F03h7n2,%2Fm%2F045mwh

Not a perfect measure, but a good indicator on digital brand awareness in the UK. As you state above, this may reflect a slightly skewed view based on demographics of people searching on the internet...

3 minutes ago, tiffers said:

It would be Leeds, then Wigan, Saints, Hull, Warrington..

I think the OP meant well known as opposed to infamous

So, Salford, Salford, Catalan, Toulouse, London and TWP obviously!

And if I'm pushed for another Swinton

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

18 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I think the OP meant well known as opposed to infamous

So, Salford, Salford, Catalan, Toulouse, London and TWP obviously!

And if I'm pushed for another Swinton

What everyone seems to forget is that while these places may be unheard-of in the South of England, they are world famous along the M62! 

Archived