BATLEY.

mickhornet

38 minutes ago, glemiln said:

At least we scored 5 tries, but they 9 tries...obviously still much work needed on our defence and focusing for 80minutes, especially in the remaining 4 games... and for next season in league 1.

Defence was quite awful, for the first time having a few doubts about Matt's tactics.

We were poor today.

Yes we had a good first half but it was still full of mistakes and poor ball retention. Second half we just let them get a roll on and massive gaps opened up, our defence was poor and we didn't look good in attack.

Alot of players will not be here next season, some because they are to good and we don't deserve them and some because they are not good enough. We have had so many players come through our doors this season. And that's one of the biggest problems so many players makes team spirit difficult and having new people learn new plays and offencive/defensive shape while we are in the middle of a season is never a good thing. And a lot of the players we have brought in are simply not good enough for this league, they may be better in League 1 but naively I hope we will be competing to go up and again thoughs players will not be good enough either when we go up or in the fight to go up.

I think there is a problem with the staff as well, i don't know if Matt is the right man for the job, he has had more games in charge than forster and not won any and has had more points put past Hornets than forster did.

To be honest Frank Myler at his peak wouldn't get anything from the current team.  I would only judge the coach and the current set up mid way through next season.  I really feel for the small number of passionate fans with no agenda for club power who keep turning up. 

1 hour ago, Larry Jones said:

To be honest Frank Myler at his peak wouldn't get anything from the current team.  I would only judge the coach and the current set up mid way through next season.  I really feel for the small number of passionate fans with no agenda for club power who keep turning up. 

If we judge him negatively half way through next season do we get rid of him?.

The problem is he had no pre-season so do we give him next year with a pre-season and hope it gose well, knowing he has been worse than forster or do we bring someone else in?.

2 hours ago, The Lad said:

We were poor today.

Yes we had a good first half but it was still full of mistakes and poor ball retention. Second half we just let them get a roll on and massive gaps opened up, our defence was poor and we didn't look good in attack.

Alot of players will not be here next season, some because they are to good and we don't deserve them and some because they are not good enough. We have had so many players come through our doors this season. And that's one of the biggest problems so many players makes team spirit difficult and having new people learn new plays and offencive/defensive shape while we are in the middle of a season is never a good thing. And a lot of the players we have brought in are simply not good enough for this league, they may be better in League 1 but naively I hope we will be competing to go up and again thoughs players will not be good enough either when we go up or in the fight to go up.

I think there is a problem with the staff as well, i don't know if Matt is the right man for the job, he has had more games in charge than forster and not won any and has had more points put past Hornets than forster did.

Absolutely agree. I think we will lose quite a few players next season. There's some talented ones on that squad, who will no way want to go down to League One. 

The excuses just keep rolling, week in, week out. I've heard all sorts from players too unfit, the squad is too young, players not good enough. Just far too many excuses for me. 

Really feel for the players who give it 100% must be an awful atmosphere getting hammered every week. No good for team moral at all. 50 players today have played this season.  Shocking, and again,  no good for moral! 

Sad state of affairs I think. ?

Anyone thinking that getting rid of the coach now is a good idea needs to have their head looked at.

We have a coach that signed knowing the mess we were in, with no money and an unfit, skillfully inept squad he will have known we were as good as down. He’s committed to the club I just hope the club is as committed in return.

It’s blatantly obvious the squad that started the season playing at Mayfield was dire, partly due to a lack of money and partly due to a slack Pre-Season. All the decent players Calland has been expected to sign are signed to clubs for the current season.

Lets judge Matt Calland after a pre season of recruitment and conditioning. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the a couple of ex Mayfield lads at other clubs sign for him.

4 hours ago, The Lad said:

If we judge him negatively half way through next season do we get rid of him?.

The problem is he had no pre-season so do we give him next year with a pre-season and hope it gose well, knowing he has been worse than forster or do we bring someone else in?.

Unless we get a lot of cash we carry on.

4 hours ago, Heywood Tiger said:

Anyone thinking that getting rid of the coach now is a good idea needs to have their head looked at.

Nobody is talking about getting rid of him now but as far as his position next season goes, all i see is that we replaced a coach who won 1 game with a coach that has won 0, I don't need to get my head looked at as I'm actually using it.

We have a coach that signed knowing the mess we were in, with no money and an unfit, skillfully inept squad he will have known we were as good as down. He’s committed to the club I just hope the club is as committed in return.

In an interview he did he admitted he didn't know it was this bad.

It’s blatantly obvious the squad that started the season playing at Mayfield was dire, partly due to a lack of money and partly due to a slack Pre-Season. All the decent players Calland has been expected to sign are signed to clubs for the current season.

He may not have been able to sign the players he wants but i would have expected to see some improvement from the players he already had.

Lets judge Matt Calland after a pre season of recruitment and conditioning.

So if its bad after pre-season or midseason then what?.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the a couple of ex Mayfield lads at other clubs sign for him.

Yeah because one thing you need when trying to get back to the 2nd tier of rugby league is players who play in the 4th.

- Forster vs Calland 1-0 ?

Forster won A game with 4 dual reg props and Harvey Livett. Before, I’m told, dual reg was largely withdrawn by Warrington due to the standard of coaching witnessed at Hornets ?‍♂️

- Sounds like Calland didn’t know exactly how unfit the players were not the situation the club was in.

- Whose to say the players he’s kept on havnt improved in some aspects of their game.  I’d put money on the fact those that have stayed are fitter.To me he’s come in and changed the ethos and what’s expected of players, training is no longer down the M62, resulting in certain super stars from the other side of J10 going missing. Fitness requirements have gone up, resulting in half the original pack leaving.

- If we are as poor in terms of results mid next season then of course questions will be asked and rightly so

- Level 4? Joe Tiara Matty Ashton and Paul Brierley, to name 3, those ships may have sailed but I’m told there was a time given the right coach they’d have signed for Rochdale. Who knows what the future holds

55 minutes ago, Heywood Tiger said:

Forster vs Calland 1-0 ?

Forster won A game with 4 dual reg props and Harvey Livett. Before, I’m told, dual reg was largely withdrawn by Warrington due to the standard of coaching witnessed at Hornets 

I never said Foster was a good coach but saying Calland is far better is not true.

Whose to say the players he’s kept on havnt improved in some aspects of their game.  I’d put money on the fact those that have stayed are fitter

Really and where have you got that from was it the 60-0 at York that showed you that or the 66-10 at Dewsbury? .

To me he’s come in and changed the ethos and what’s expected of players,

In the fact that they can't play more than 30 minutes.

training is no longer down the M62, resulting in certain super stars from the other side of J10 going missing. Fitness requirements have gone up, resulting in half the original pack leaving.

Again rugby or sport in general is results based and we are 1-22 Matt Calland has only succeeded in making one of those numbers bigger.

Level 4? Joe Tiara Matty Ashton and Paul Brierley,

Be realistic how many players can make the jump?, and its all well and good naming those 3 but again 1-22.

but I’m told there was a time given the right coach they’d have signed for Rochdale

Spare me the conspiracy theory, could have..... would have.... should have, the fact is they signed when they did.

If we are as poor in terms of results mid next season then of course questions will be asked and rightly so

Questions? we gave forster 7 games out of 27 it's only fair we give him the same.

Poor again yesterday but getting rid of Matt isn’t the answer. But neither was getting rid of Forster.

Personally it’s hard not to judge Matt when he’s had more games than the previous coach and the results and performances are worse with zero signs of improvement. He’s brought a lot of players in, the 17 most weeks are majority his signings so surely we should be seeing some improvement but having said that,  lets give him time like i believe all coaches should have.

9 hours ago, The Lad said:

I never said Foster was a good coach but saying Calland is far better is not true.

Really and where have you got that from was it the 60-0 at York that showed you that or the 66-10 at Dewsbury? .

In the fact that they can't play more than 30 minutes.

Again rugby or sport in general is results based and we are 1-22 Matt Calland has only succeeded in making one of those numbers bigger.

Be realistic how many players can make the jump?, and its all well and good naming those 3 but again 1-22.

Spare me the conspiracy theory, could have..... would have.... should have, the fact is they signed when they did.

Questions? we gave forster 7 games out of 27 it's only fair we give him the same.

A squad is largely assembled and prepared in a pre-season where lots of players at this level are out of contract and looking for a team.

Our pack hasn't been good enough from day one this season, the Mayfield pack bullied ours in pre season. Brian Carneys opinion of our player coach still makes me cringe in our televised game against Toronto. He was supposedly the leader of our pack. Take him and the other puddings out and Calland is left with a very slim squad of forwards, hes brought in an cracker in Marriott but he is a one off who other championship coaches couldn't manage to persuade to sign.

With it being mid season where is it Calland is supposed to get players from, particularly big mobile forwards. We can be as fit as we like but when the other teams have 4 big mobile props to steam rolling through a lightweight pack were on a hiding to nothing every week.

I have high hopes for next year and wouldn't be surprised to see at the very least Joe back at Hornets.

I think Marriott is an outstanding player looked really good against Swinton - I think he may well be a target for other clubs for next season - how many players remain depends not just on the money but the personal relationships between the coach and the squad and in that regard Calland has a lot of respect in the game.

12 hours ago, wayne_r said:

I think Marriott is an outstanding player looked really good against Swinton - I think he may well be a target for other clubs for next season - how many players remain depends not just on the money but the personal relationships between the coach and the squad and in that regard Calland has a lot of respect in the game.

Absolutely agree, Marriott was my MOM, played the full 80 minutes, never took a backward step, "what an engine"

23 hours ago, Heywood Tiger said:

A squad is largely assembled and prepared in a pre-season where lots of players at this level are out of contract and looking for a team.

I agree but players fitness can improve during season and it hasn't, that is down to coaching, also if the squad is built before the the season begins and that is the optimal time, why have we had 50 players put on the shirt this year?.

Our pack hasn't been good enough from day one this season, the Mayfield pack bullied ours in pre season. Brian Carneys opinion of our player coach still makes me cringe in our televised game against Toronto. He was supposedly the leader of our pack.

But Calland has had around 14 games there should had been a visible improvement in defence or attack or fitness or game management or heaven forbid all of them and there have been no improvement and he has been the coatch that has presided over our worst defeats.

Take him and the other puddings out and Calland is left with a very slim squad of forwards, hes brought in an cracker in Marriott but he is a one off who other championship coaches couldn't manage to persuade to sign.

But again no improvments, one or two good players but for every one decent  player there is a poor one and again 50 players most of which I suspect would have passed through under his leadership. There has been to many players  brought in.

With it being mid season where is it Calland is supposed to get players from, particularly big mobile forwards.

Maybe he shouldn't have, the cost to the squads cohesiveness may have outweighed the non-existent benefits we have got from these new players coming in.

We can be as fit as we like but when the other teams have 4 big mobile props to steam rolling through a lightweight pack were on a hiding to nothing every week.

Totally disagree we won the last two games last year against Dewsbury and Sheffield who had bigger packs because we were fitter. We won Dewsbury away last year because we were fitter we could  grind out the win, Bradford at home in the Sun because of our fitness. Teams like ours who dont have the skill must rely on two things aggression in attack and defence and fitness we were one of the fittest non full-time teams last year and that is what got us through, unfortunately under forster and Calland we had lost both.

I have high hopes for next year and wouldn't be surprised to see at the very least Joe back at Hornets.

If hes good enough sure.

7 hours ago, The Lad said:

I agree but players fitness can improve during season and it hasn't, that is down to coaching, also if the squad is built before the the season begins and that is the optimal time, why have we had 50 players put on the shirt this year?.

But Calland has had around 14 games there should had been a visible improvement in defence or attack or fitness or game management or heaven forbid all of them and there have been no improvement and he has been the coatch that has presided over our worst defeats.

But again no improvments, one or two good players but for every one decent  player there is a poor one and again 50 players most of which I suspect would have passed through under his leadership. There has been to many players  brought in.

Maybe he shouldn't have, the cost to the squads cohesiveness may have outweighed the non-existent benefits we have got from these new players coming in.

Totally disagree we won the last two games last year against Dewsbury and Sheffield who had bigger packs because we were fitter. We won Dewsbury away last year because we were fitter we could  grind out the win, Bradford at home in the Sun because of our fitness. Teams like ours who dont have the skill must rely on two things aggression in attack and defence and fitness we were one of the fittest non full-time teams last year and that is what got us through, unfortunately under forster and Calland we had lost both.

If hes good enough sure.

Forget Calland and Forster, you should be coach 

Archived