The Ashes Thread - Cricket

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's okay. Just two wickets lost in the powerplay. We can hit out at the end of the innings now.

We just need to see out Hazlewood's overs and we're into the all-rounders bowling at us.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The old joke about it being a good day for England as they did not get on the field is doing the rounds. It's going to be difficult getting a result in this match because of the time lost

The TMS statto was saying that most recent tests where the first day was washed out have ended in results. Maybe a sense of urgency makes things happen.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The art of just batting for your stumps , leaving it well is dying in this one day age . Used to pillory guys like trott but we could do with one or two . Burns has the idea but a fair few of these guys are in one day mentality and nagging bowling playing on technique and patience gets them sooner or later 

Well, we've got past 200, which is a start.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

At the risk of turning this thread political, what we really need is an Australian-style Runs System.

On a serious note, a good drubbing in this series might be the incentive to refocus on the Test team like we did for the white ball team. The problems have been apparent for some time and it's been allowed to drift.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Warner out for 3 - news that could even drag a grudging smile from a Rugby League fan.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just seen the C5 highlights of Roy's dismissal. What a tart - no need to have his bat anywhere near that delivery.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As ever we’ll see after first innings but I think that’s a below average score on that pitch . That was as good a batting day as you’ll get this game and there wasnt many balls really misbehaving . Some iffy shots and some tight bowling but if we don’t get our batting sorted this is gonna be a long series 

13 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

This is looking up.

The weather forecast for this afternoon isn't, though.

Still 80 for 4 is decent work against Australia.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Please forgive me for the naive question. Five minutes ago the umpire gave the australian batsman out for LBW but after the review his decision was overturned because the ball bounced outside of the imaginary line that goes from one stump at one end of the wicket to the stump at the other end, and the official words used were, if I remember well, "pitch outside leg". Why there isn't a actual chalk line drawn to help the umpire to figure where that imaginary line is ?

5 minutes ago, bobrock said:

Please forgive me for the naive question. Five minutes ago the umpire gave the australian batsman out for LBW but after the review his decision was overturned because the ball bounced outside of the imaginary line that goes from one stump at one end of the wicket to the stump at the other end, and the official words used were, if I remember well, "pitch outside leg". Why there isn't a actual chalk line drawn to help the umpire to figure where that imaginary line is ?

Because it would aid the bowlers as well 

TMS are replaying the commentary of the last few overs of the World Cup final. Even though I know the result, it is still a bowel-dissolvingly tense listen.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

TMS are replaying the commentary of the last few overs of the World Cup final. Even though I know the result, it is still a bowel-dissolvingly tense listen.

Every time I see it I’m still convinced Roy is about to misfield and Buttler fumble it

A friend just asked why they weren’t playing in drizzle when they played in it all morning ... I think cricket must be the hardest sport to try and explain to someone who knows nothing about it . A fair bit of the time because cricket lovers can’t even fathom or understand it 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Every time I see it I’m still convinced Roy is about to misfield and Buttler fumble it

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived