The Ashes Thread - Cricket

48 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just reeks of concussion that decision.  He shouldn’t have been allowed back out by the team doctor. 

Steve you ok...

how many bits of sandpaper am I holding up ?

you’re sweet mate 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take it that England must have had some hits to the head as well going by this innings so far. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Australia in the pound seats going into the last day but if England can scapre a score of 200 plus and if Jofra Archer or Stuart Broad has a day. Who knows ?

Certainly if England are 0-2 after this game its "goodnight charlie" to the Ashes (with apologies to the lae Tony Greig). They have found the answer to the Steve Smith question and that's genuinely quick bowling - something he did not face. If you recall during the last Ashes series down under the almost immediate impact Mark Wood had in te ODI series which England won 4-1. Unfortunately Fast bowlers hunt in pairs and the other two quicks England have are unavailable due to injury.

Nothing wrong with the bowling attack, though I would like Sam Curran to play possibly for Woakes. The problem is who do you get to replace Roy and Denly. They are just starting a Country Championship round this sunday sandwiched in the T20 blast and Sam Curran will only be playing two days for Surrey before being substitued to go up to Leeds. You could do that with Dom Sibley or Zak Crawley but, if so, what does that mean for the integrity of the Championship ?

A name that has come up who is scoring runs, albiet in the T20, and has got international experience is Dawid Malan. Selecting Dawid would cause chairman of selectors, Ed Smith to choke on his comments " it may be that his game is better suited to overseas conditions". Is he  big enough to select Dawid?

If you think this year is problematic, next year against Pakistan, between tests, England players will be required to participate in that clicket (sic) competition "The Hundred" I am absolutely certain that a night of having a merry swing while establishment "comedian" Rory Bremner guffaws on the BBC commentary will prove ideal preparation for facing Pakistan.........

We shall see - all to play for today

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

There appear to be 21 rabbits and Steve Smith, whose technique has morphed into something very strange. He got into a horrible position against the Archer deliveries.

It's 40% Australia, 35% draw and 25% England for my money today. England can't afford to lose - if they do, there may need to be a change of captain. Right now Root's form is in the toilet - we have such a bad batting lineup they should just pick the best county captain, even if they are not "Test Class". After all, neither are Roy and Denly.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Australia in the pound seats going into the last day but if England can scapre a score of 200 plus and if Jofra Archer or Stuart Broad has a day. Who knows ?

Certainly if England are 0-2 after this game its "goodnight charlie" to the Ashes (with apologies to the lae Tony Greig). They have found the answer to the Steve Smith question and that's genuinely quick bowling - something he did not face. If you recall during the last Ashes series down under the almost immediate impact Mark Wood had in te ODI series which England won 4-1. Unfortunately Fast bowlers hunt in pairs and the other two quicks England have are unavailable due to injury.

Nothing wrong with the bowling attack, though I would like Sam Curran to play possibly for Woakes. The problem is who do you get to replace Roy and Denly. They are just starting a Country Championship round this sunday sandwiched in the T20 blast and Sam Curran will only be playing two days for Surrey before being substitued to go up to Leeds. You could do that with Dom Sibley or Zak Crawley but, if so, what does that mean for the integrity of the Championship ?

A name that has come up who is scoring runs, albiet in the T20, and has got international experience is Dawid Malan. Selecting Dawid would cause chairman of selectors, Ed Smith to choke on his comments " it may be that his game is better suited to overseas conditions". Is he  big enough to select Dawid?

If you think this year is problematic, next year against Pakistan, between tests, England players will be required to participate in that clicket (sic) competition "The Hundred" I am absolutely certain that a night of having a merry swing while establishment "comedian" Rory Bremner guffaws on the BBC commentary will prove ideal preparation for facing Pakistan.........

We shall see - all to play for today

Good stuff . I agree about fast bowlers . We have Jofra and we need him to open up ... attack Smith ... take out the tale etc etc . But we cant bowl him into the ground . It was so evident watching Broad  and Woakes bowling at Lyon and Hazelwood and how comfy they were . Shame about Wood really ... whereas they have Cummins , Hazelwood , Pattinson , Starc .

I think today will be interesting . If we can get 200 then game on ... by we’re just as likely to get rolled . Lyon could have got Stokes five times last night . First hour is key .

one things for sure , if we go down here that’s that

58 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Smith out of the rest of the Test match; Aussies have put in an application for a concussion replacement (didn't know that existed). 

Surely he's out of the next Test too...

Sneaky Aussie tricks ...

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Smith out of the rest of the Test match; Aussies have put in an application for a concussion replacement (didn't know that existed). 

Surely he's out of the next Test too...

Concussion replacement is a new addition to the laws of cricket, introduced only at the beginning of this month. Smith's probably the first case, then.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

How do we play this now ? Half a sniff here with smith out . Hopefully we push on and at least give them a sweat later on 

Must have been some very intense tactical discussions during the lunch break.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some speculation doing the rounds that Smith may also miss out on the next Test, with the short turnaround before Headingley. Is this the equivalent of 2005's McGrath Moment?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ah cricket, when you have lost hours to the rain, still has a long lunch break... 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

6 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Ah cricket, when you have lost hours to the rain, still has a long lunch break... 

Traditions ... gotta start at 11 , gotta take nye on three quarters of an hour out for luncheon even when we’ve been sitting around for days , gotta have drinks every hour even when it’s 15 degrees etc etc . The games under threat big style , and until they speed the game along and are more flexible and reactive it will be 

57 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Traditions ... gotta start at 11 , gotta take nye on three quarters of an hour out for luncheon even when we’ve been sitting around for days , gotta have drinks every hour even when it’s 15 degrees etc etc . The games under threat big style , and until they speed the game along and are more flexible and reactive it will be 

At least they don't have a rest day on Sunday any more.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived