The Ashes Thread - Cricket

15 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s got a great yorker  , and 90 mph plus at the stumps is the ball ultimately that opens all modes of dismissal even though the bouncer looks striking . The fuller ball gets the wickets 

Except for Paine being a burke when trying to save a game 

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever happens, this has been a fascinating match for all sorts of reasons.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think the clock will be the winner, but if we can put more doubt and uncertainty into the Australian batsmen's hearts, it may still have some benefit down the road.

I think it will be a draw, but it will give us some confidence.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 17/08/2019 at 14:59, ckn said:

I’m surprised, but very happy, that injury wasn’t more serious. A 90mph cricket ball to the neck could easily have caused a very serious injury. 

I wasn’t that chuffed with the attitude of some of the England team who seemed to find it funny. I guess that just makes the England team even less likeable. 

I agree with you. I thought it was fair that the injury to Steve Smith didn't result in Australia losing. 

39 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I bet they don’t have this angst in Australia. How very English 

I'm just not a fan of seeing people hit by a small hard object at 90mph on the neck. Never have been.  It's why I wasn't that impressed with the West Indies in their prime bowling form of intimidation.  I do understand I'm in a seriously small minority on this one but if a sport applauds efforts to injure other players then it just loses its shine, especially given it's only 5 years since an Aussie player died from being hit by a bouncer.  Surely even one death is too many for a "sport".

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

32 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm just not a fan of seeing people hit by a small hard object at 90mph on the neck. Never have been.  It's why I wasn't that impressed with the West Indies in their prime bowling form of intimidation.  I do understand I'm in a seriously small minority on this one but if a sport applauds efforts to injure other players then it just loses its shine, especially given it's only 5 years since an Aussie player died from being hit by a bouncer.  Surely even one death is too many for a "sport".

I understand , but I don’t think it’s an effort to injure players . Test cricket is the ultimate in challenging technique heart and temperament and I think fast bowling probes those like no other and has done down the generations . Looking for a vulnerability , a chink in the armour which to exploit , and asking if this guy fancies it. It may seem harsh but if you’re found to have a fragility then you’re gonna get it exploited . Working a batsman over in the process of getting him out  .  I think it’s the most thrilling thing to see in test cricket . It really is the ultimate test . You’re point on the Windies is valid though in that at times they bounced batsmen consistently without purpose other than to intimidate and damage . The thing I like with archer is he has an armoury of weapons and uses them expertly to probe and exploit vulnerabilities as part of his wicket taking efforts . I take fully your point about Phil Hughes though and potential serious injury - which is real at this pace - and much emphasis is given with regard things like protective gear of players , concussion protocols , the limiting of bouncers per over and medical support . But seeing a bowler bowling like the wind giving test cricket every inch of its meaning is just something else. We’ve took it and took it , guys have been taking guard literally in the blood of the guy gone before . Having this weapon of our own to give it back is brilliant , and Archer is the best thing to hit our scene since KP turned up . I hope he shakes them up , gives them some bruises , some palpitations  and gets them out all the way to the oval !

26 minutes ago, ckn said:

I think after Phil Hughes' death the bouncer should have been banned.

Had Steve Smith been seriously injured it would have been unthinkable. 

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Apparently Archer has hit 19 batsmen in torso or head in his international career ... of ten weeks 

I think i few more will be hit in the 3rd test by Archer.

I know I'm getting old and my memory is fading but did we get any sympathy from the Aussies when Lilley and Thompson were at their peak and hitting our batsmen?

10 hours ago, ckn said:

I'm just not a fan of seeing people hit by a small hard object at 90mph on the neck. 

Smith is one of the few players to wear a helmet without any neck protection. They're planning to make those illegal, hopefully he will take action sooner.

Cricket Australia actually put a video on YouTube ahead of the series showing their fast bowlers hitting the opposition with bouncers, so I think it's highly unlikely they'll make any criticism. 

11 hours ago, ckn said:

Deaths in cricket are very, very rare. When the helmet was introduced players didn't like wearing it, but now it's normal. The new helmet is a bit more claustrophobic but they're just going to have to get used to wearing it.

If short pitched bowling is banned (and this would have to include hitting in the sternum/heart, which is also dangerous) then the game as we know it is done.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

29 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Deaths in cricket are very, very rare. When the helmet was introduced players didn't like wearing it, but now it's normal. The new helmet is a bit more claustrophobic but they're just going to have to get used to wearing it.

If short pitched bowling is banned (and this would have to include hitting in the sternum/heart, which is also dangerous) then the game as we know it is done.

Weren't the same arguments used for banning head-high tackles? Also, even with a full helmet on, you're risking serious concussion if you're hit flat on by the ball on the helmet, there's nothing that will stop the effect.

I do get the point though that many like it and it's just my own view, I don't like it and don't find it entertaining.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

I think i few more will be hit in the 3rd test by Archer.

I know I'm getting old and my memory is fading but did we get any sympathy from the Aussies when Lilley and Thompson were at their peak and hitting our batsmen?

Seen the documentaries from that series?..I’m gonna kill these blokes !!! They were putting sawdust down in the crease ! Petrifying . And the Gabba pitch was like corrugated iron which made it worse ! 

11 hours ago, Niels said:

I think after Phil Hughes' death the bouncer should have been banned.

Had Steve Smith been seriously injured it would have been unthinkable. 

Sorry that will fundamentally alter and neuter the game and is unenforceable anyway . What’s a bouncer ? Just the ones that hit someone , above where ? Just above a certain pace ? An 80 mph bouncer is a rubbish long hop .What about balls that rear off a length . People flock to watch this , and I guarantee you won’t find one pro cricketer anywhere who’s support that . And many batsmen like it and cream runs off them , like Ponting did 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Sorry that will fundamentally alter and neuter the game and is unenforceable anyway . What’s a bouncer ? Just the ones that hit someone , above where ? Just above a certain pace ? An 80 mph bouncer is a rubbish long hop .What about balls that rear off a length . People flock to watch this , and I guarantee you won’t find one pro cricketer anywhere who’s support that . And many batsmen like it and cream runs off them , like Ponting did 

Thanks for explaining.  I can understand the points you make.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Weren't the same arguments used for banning head-high tackles? Also, even with a full helmet on, you're risking serious concussion if you're hit flat on by the ball on the helmet, there's nothing that will stop the effect.

I do get the point though that many like it and it's just my own view, I don't like it and don't find it entertaining.

What about players ducking into high shots? Batsmen will misjudge deliveries and end up being hit anyway.

I think the umpires should be harder on deliberate and repetitive short pitched bowling. They can do that now if they want to - I'm not sure why they let Cummins bowl a full over of short stuff at Woakes the other day.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The Aussies are rather upset about Archer having the temerity to bowl fast and short and actually trying to hit their batsmen , and then not be very nice afterwards? What kind of bowler does this ? ...and this booing lark , it’s got to stop it’s just not on . Even the PM is upset . What kind of crowds do this ?

764B5AEE-95FF-4E0E-995F-141BAAE6AAE0.gif.0acccabd4706377a91bb95161c6b8151.gif

Archived